West Coast Pedal Board DIY Kit. (My build, Review and How to) **PIC HEAVY**

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SirGilmour, Aug 25, 2015.

1. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Recently I stumbled across West Coast Pedal Board's site and noticed a DIY section. Im pretty handy and thought that it would be a fun project for me and the old man. I called Spencer and he was VERY helpful and answered all of my million questions. There are many wood and tolex/tweed options but I ended up purchasing a Padauk 12x18 DIY kit with the following options: Tele style input and output jacks, an IEC for the PP2+, an indy light and a set of handles. Everything shipped same day and was packed very well.
    I honestly think this is a great idea because what wouldve cost me between $400-500 if Spencer built it only cost me around $170 and it was a blast to make. Plus you always feel good about yourself when you have accomplished something :).

He also has a complete DIY online store that has everything you could imagine for DIY pedalboarding and mods for your current boards. You can find it here http://shop.westcoastpedalboard.com/Pedal-Board-Parts-s/2647.htm

Here are some tools you will need (some of these tools arent necessary if you dont do the in/out jacks or IEC): A drill, a set of wood bits, Forstner bits, plunge router with a bullnose and straight bit, Vibrating sander (or hand sand), Tite-bond wood glue, Spray adhesive, at least 1 corner clamp and some butchers block oil if you do bare wood.

The boards come pre cut and dovetailed!

Total time was about 6-8 hours but would be much faster the next time.

***PRE DRILL ALL SCREW HOLES!!!***

Please forgive my layman instructions.

1: I started with gluing and clamping the 4 sides together although looking back I would probably drill my holes first. Wait 24 hours before unclamping.

2: I did a quick sand with 120 to knock off excess glue.

3: Mounted the inside rails for the top sheet. I found it easiest to turn the frame over with the topsheet in the middle so you can acurately mark where the wood rails need to be to make the top flush.

4: Drilled in/out jack and indy lamp with a forstner bit then use a slightly larger bit to countersink the jacks and make them flush.

5: Drilled out IEC jack. I used the supplied template for the through part but turned it upside down and traced it so I knew what to route for the countersink.

6: Bullnosed top and corners then sanded everything again with 180 grit.

7: Laid out my pedals so I could drill precise holes for the patch and power cables(you can just do a generic straight route down the middle if you want)

8: Sprayed adhesive and applied the superloop velcro (supplied with kit) then put a board and some weight on top and let it sit for about 30 min to make sure it had good contact.

9: I rubbed the butchers block oil on, then off. (follow instructions on bottle.)

10: Started hooking up all electronics. NO soldering required!! Everything was
    a pre made harness from Spencer.

11: Mounted the top sheet and then the pedals!

12: Gigged and tested. I approve.

I may have forgotten a step or two but here are some pictures to help you guys out. I hope some of you try this because its a fun, cheap way to have a truly custom pedal board without all the expense.

I believe he still has his 10% off DIY kits going too. The code is DIY10

***I have no affiliation with WCPB. I just thought some of you might find this interesting.***

Pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hard to tell but the board is upside down with the top sheet under it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

3. SirGilmour

fossilfuel and westcoastpedalbrd like this.
  4. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

5. bass_econo

bass_econo Member

Looks great man. Good job!

westcoastpedalbrd and SirGilmour like this.
  6. chiller_instinct

chiller_instinct Member

Looks awesome, man. I was thinking about making my own pedalboard soon, I'll have to check these out for sure.

7. SirGilmour

You should give Spencer a call. It's really not hard because the all the cuts and dovetails are done! In fact if you didn't want jacks and an IEC or light it would be quite simple.

8. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Supporting Member

wow i would LOVE to do something like this! I didn't even know this was an option! thanks for posting this!

9. SirGilmour

I didn't know either until just the other day. I was stoked! You should try it and let us know how it goes. BTW kits start around $100

westcoastpedalbrd likes this.
  10. SirGilmour

Bumping for the morning crowd.

11. westcoastpedalbrd

westcoastpedalbrd Member

@SirGilmour, wow man! Thanks for this pictorial & write up; I'm beyond impressed with how the build came out. If you don't mind, I'll be referring some of my customers that have purchased kits to this thread for their reference. hahah (We really need to get on a video tutorial series for this thing)

To the TGP community: if any of you have questions about these kits, please don't hesitate to ask. I am personally developing this from scratch as it's a brand new concept. You may see pricing changes (I've reduced the price about 12% since we intro'd this 7 months ago), random wood specie additions (i love buying rare and unique timbers), & product offering enhancements.

We are currently expanding our operations (2 extra dovetail machines and dedicated tooling just for these assembly packs) to accommodate the influx of orders to reduce the wait time of the shipment of these kits. We're at about 2 weeks right now on shipment times from date of purchase. Expect the lead times to be reduced within the next 3-6 weeks. I created a "ready to Ship" section on the site 3 years ago now; for those of us who don't like the wait times, we've put together a few kits that are Ready to Ship. Choose your Optional additional components, and it leaves the shop in 24hrs.

I'd like to make the point that these kits are FULLY customizable; and, we provide the SAME components, harness', and hardware that we use when building all of our product line. (If your looking for a particular size, or specie that isn't listed, we can build out the custom size for a nominal additional charge) It's essentially just a bit of time to configure one of the dovetail machines to your spec. Essentially, we've made everything we use, available to the builder community. Additionally, from the perviously mentioned influx of orders, we have been fortunate enough to LOWER prices on many of the most popular purchased parts.

So.... Cheers y'all and happy building!
    SH

12. TheRealDeal

This really is the coolest thing! Really just a matter of which wood I will choose for the board! Thanks again! (Kinda wish they offered a bigger size but the 24x12 will do)

13. SirGilmour

He mentioned above he will cut the boards to any custom size you want. Just give him a call.

14. westcoastpedalbrd

westcoastpedalbrd Member

Yooooo... We can make whatever size you need...

TheRealDeal likes this.
  15. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

16. TheRealDeal

That is awesome!!!!

17. bluewaterpig

bluewaterpig Member

Hey SirGilmour,

I'm starting my build today. The main thing I'm wondering about is rounding those edges.

Can you elaborate a bit on how you did it? What type/size bullnose bit did you use? Did you use it in a router?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  18. SirGilmour

I used a 1/4'' bit and then went over it with a vibrating sander. Keep us updated and post pics of your project!

19. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! You did a awesome job building it! Looking good!

SirGilmour likes this.
  20. SirGilmour

Thank you!