Western Electric New Factory New Tubes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Anyone have more info on this outfit. If you look at the price list they show some cool tubes soon to be around Genalex KT88. Word on the street is they are gonna be making a KT77 and a KT66.

Anyone know about this. Yes the prices are high but go make your own tubes and call me back.

All they need to do is make a really good 12AX7 and maybe a 12AT7 and we'd be set. Let production get a little higher maybe prices would come down and whamo and American Made Tube Manufacturer.

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

3. Roe

Roe Member

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't know, those are higher than street prices for NOS. I'd have to be REAL convinced that someone can reproduce the real deal-just having the tooling doesn't cut it. Still, I wish them well...

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Prices are high but those are list price and my hope would be after they get these bad boy in production for a while maybe they will come down. I for one would pay a premium for a Brand New Tube that Meets NOS Specs. Now that dosnt mena these are gonna be any good but if they are oh baby. Give me a quad of KT77's and a set of ECC83's and I'm in heaven.

7. hogy

hogy Member

Where on their site does it say they actually make these tubes?
    I see they're making the WE brand tubes, however the KT88s look like NOS MO Valves.

Hogy

8. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Under "What's New," it says they're made in thier Huntsville AL plant.

9. hogy

hogy Member

What am I missing? Under "What's New" I only see mention of the 300B they've been making. Not a word about KT88s. All the KT88s pictured on their site are NOS MO Valves. They would have had to have aquired the trademarks "Gold Lion", "Genelex", "Marconi Osram" if it's their tubes.

Also, note that matched quads are more than twice the price of matched duets. Seems to indicate NOS, not new production as well.

Hogy

10. number9

number9 Member

Hello all, while I can not make a real comment on the current situation (I know they moved
    the factory once) I also build high end home stero units for my friends (I have done this
    for some time)... so I am familliar with the WE tube and the new factory (at least the
    first one)...

The claim: they are using all of the old WE gear. Some hi-fi nut from out west who had
    deep pockets purchased the entire original factory that made the WE tubes after he found
    out they did not dismantle it, only mothballed it. He then hired the original workers back
    and started work on the 300B. After the first ones left the line it was reviewed by several
    hi-fi rags to much acclaim... of course at the time they kept saying "it is exactly the same
    sound as an original" and you could still get a vintage one for less than the new ones.

I think that the GEC's will be to original spec. Recall, he is basing the selling price on
    hi-fi tube sales, so it could be more than you would expect, but then again, it will be a
    brand new tube... my only notation on the high price would be this: $450 for a 300B
    is pretty damn high, BUT if it is to original WE specs, with the same materials, the
    life expectancy of that tube is really really long. (recall it was made to go in underwater
    telephony equipment, where replacing it was a real pain, so they made it so it would fail
    very infrequently)... The GEC's are supposed to be built on the same principle.

My final comments: consider this: this guy is a music lover, so the tube should be
    the best you could get. Also, I may seem like I am touting his stuff, but he is targeting
    a market that will go out and purchase say a $6,000 amp that puts out 4 watts to drive
    their multi-thousand dollar horns that can only handle 5 watts... they do not blink at
    a $450 tube. Finally, I do not work for and am not affiliated with WE. I own a custom
    tube amp company, and no, I can not afford his tubes in my amps either. :)

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I think it's great that some good tubes can an will be built in the US...but I feel it's shame for us to think that we can pay third world prices for hand-crafted American products!

Would $50 be too much to pay for a great US made 12AX7? Hmmm

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Build them and they will come.

If they start making AX7's I'm on em.

13. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Nothing. I was referring to the 300B, but I dare not assume the KT88 would be mfr'd there.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

That would be a JJ

I'm talking about a WE.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

My point is read my first post.

I'm trying to see if anyone knows about this or not. I didnt ask about JJ's. Just because something aint on a site dont mean it dosnt exist. Though they may not be making Bunk thats what I'm trying to find out.

I have contacted them maybe they will respond.

16. hogy

hogy Member

I read your first post. I looked at the WE website. I see they're selling NOS Genelex KT88s.

Where on their site does it say they are now MAKING NEW KT88s, let alone KT66s?

Hey Brew, have you tried the JJ KT77s?

Hogy

17. number9

number9 Member

Well, I suppose the only point to getting one from WE is that they are a US maker,
    and you could (in theory, last time I called them) get the tubes in matched pairs...
    also, you have to trust the ebay'er/store/guy selling the NOS ones that they are
    in fact NOS or matched. Also, I think WE gives a warranty (I am not sure what it is
    on the KT88 though, they have a warranty on the others.

To the other poster.. you are right, and I did not notice it before. The original post
    was also asking about KT77's and there is no mention of them on the site.

To the other/other poster... WE does have spec sheets on some of the tubes
    on each respective tube page, although I note that some of them are from the
    original maker of the tubes and not the "this is what is coming from the production
    line" specs... so who knows at that point. Hrmm. Makes me wonder if they are trying
    to fool someone, or if they are that confident that they will make them _exactly_
    the same...

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well according to another member here he said he'd talked to WE on the phone and they are shipping WE manufatured KT88's now and will be making the 66's and 77's soon along with some other tubes that they previously made at thier Knsas factory but had stopped making when they moved to Alabamma.

However I have no info in concrete to offer. Like everyone else I'd like to know the poop.

19. michaelg

michaelg Member

nothing is ever exactly the same;)

20. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

The KT88's featured are not current production,
    they're NOS made by MO Valve;
    (scoll down) http://www.westernelectric.com/pricing.asp