Western Electric Update

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Today I spoke with Charlse Whitener President of Western Electric on the Phone.

I asked him several questions about what are the products they are gonna be manufacturing.

He Told me they were installing the equipment in thier Alabamma Plant right now to produce 6L6's, 12AX7's, 12AU7's, 12AT7's, and 12AY7's.

I told him they had peeked the interest of many folks concerning what products they would be manufacturing. I asked him why wasnt the website more updated? He told me there wouldnt be anything on there untill they were ready to ship product. He told me they were entering the guitar market.

I aksed him about the KT88's, KT77's, and KT66's and he told me they were shipping the KT88's now and would have the 77's and 66's soon. These are being made out of a Plant in Britan that he called the MO Valve Plant that is a new plant they set up over there.

I set up a tour of the Huntsville Plant with him in about 6 months. He wants to get the new Equipment in first.

I am most hopeful that they can do as much as they can.

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

If they're good tubes, I'll use them. I'm so happy we're getting lots of new/old stuff built. Its becomming a very exciting time for all of us.
    Doug

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Yea!!!!!
    Good for you. When I talked to him he was all paranoid,
    and wouldn't give me the time of day.

I hope it works out for him, which will work out for all of us.

Good stuff.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

He did want to know who I was and who I was with. I told him I'm jo blow nobody that plays the guitar and loves tubes.

I'm goona set my callender by it and hopefully I'll get to go over there. Hunstville isnt that far from me.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Aboslutely!:AOK

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Also I should say he said he didnt want a bunch of folks calling asking questions. He said he didnt have the time to field questions all the Time.

So lets not everyone pick up the phone and bug him. I'll post back as soon as I know anything.

7. amper

amper Member

Sweet! Their 300B's have gotten great reviews. If they start making guitar amp tubes with the same quality, I'll use 'em.

8. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

MO as in Marconi-Osram?

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

It could have stood for Mostly- Old farts for all I know.

10. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

MO was Marconi Osram... I'd be interested to know more about this new plant over here. News to me.

11. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

Not if he expects guitarists to drop $800 for a pair of 6L6's just to have them delivered in a fancy wooden box!

BK

12. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

:JAMCool but looks like expensive tubes:BITCH

13. Matt H

Matt H Guest

i suspect that when the market for guitar tubes is realized (i.e. tons of us) that they'll ramp up production and lower costs... i know this is a silly comparison, but just compare the price of even JJ's 6L6 to their KT88- something tells me that the tubes they've been producing are actually just costlier to make. *crosses fingers*

I'm sure they'll cost more than the eastern european and asian offerings, but- if they're not TERRIBLY more expensive, and there is a noted increase in quality? they'll do remarkably well.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

My guess is they arent gonna be free.

From what I gather so far they have tried to increase thier production while maintaining a very high quality product. I'm sure they will do the same with these. Hopefully after they've been making the for a while they will get cheaper. Unless they are in the stratousphere I will plan on buying maybe a set of KT77's, KT66's and 6L6's to try em out and a few of the AX7's. The real proof is in the pudding. If after I try em and they arent any better than anything else I'll be done but if they are what I hope they are (High Quality) I'll be tickeled shitless.

Have you bought any NOS Mullard Branded Mullards Lately? Not the POS ones the NOS ones.

15. mbruffey

mbruffey Member

I wish someone would tool up and make a JG-5751-WA triple mica blackplate. The NOS are getting way too expensive.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

My good friend says Winged C 6L6's for the DC-5's is the Tube.

Unless you prefer the Radio Shack Tubes better. :p :moon

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

What you need to do is bring those babys to the house. I have about 4 New JJ Tesla 6L6GC's as well as a dozen New Sovteks (pre new sensor) and some RCA and GE 6L6's. I've lost count at how many NOS and Current Production 12AX7's I have laying around.

Hell I can find a quad out of all I have that will match the Bias Cathode Current of the Boogies. Take a look at the Plate Voltage too. We can check under the hood for cold solder joints and loose connections while we're at it.

Maybe do some Microphonics checking in the Tubes you have now.

Get off your keester and come on. :BEER

Edit Oh and bring the Deaton as well.