Wet Cab question for W/D setups

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fearhk213, Mar 31, 2008.

1. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

Are you guys who run w/d or w/d/w rigs using closed or open back wet cabs and why?

I have a Diezel rl 4x12 w/v30's. I was thinking an open back 2x12 might sound really cool when I kick in some fx, but I play lots of metal so I wasn't sure if the open back cabs would be tight enough for my closed back 4x12. What do ya'll think, closed or open?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

bump for the late night crowd

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I would assume open-back is the way to go. I never liked the way delay/reverb sounded with closed back cabs. Sounds like the effect is being neutered.... but closed back provides good immediacy for everything else.

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've got a few 4x12's and have used them for my dry and wet cabs for years. I've tried 2x12's (closed) and a Bogner Cube with nice results. The wet cab isn't as critical as your dry/dominant cab...from my experience. Use whatcha got or have some fun experimenting.

5. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

Cool thanks for the info ya'll.
    As far as speakers in the wet cab is concerned do you get the same kind as the dry cab, or would a more neutral one like an EV be an even better option?

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I've been using a Boogie Theile because that's what I have. I've never tried an open back, maybe I need to.