1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Wet cabinet speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ethereal cereal, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ethereal cereal

ethereal cereal Wave upon wave of demented avengers... Silver Supporting Member

I've got a couple of 1-12 speaker cabinets that I intend to use as wet cabinets in a W/D/W rig. These will be run 100% wet so I'm leaning toward some higher wattage speakers to reproduce high fidelity reverbs and delay repeats. Does this sound ideal?

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Good question. Interested in this too.

3. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I've used a W/D/W set up for years, & in that time, experimented with a lot of speakers.

I find that a high power neutral speaker works best, so, I settled on EVM12L's, in all my cabs.

In a similar vein, try Eminence Delta's, Tonker's, Swamp thang.

I tried Celestion Century's when they arrived,(Not the Vintage), they were Ok, but a bit "Spiky", & suffered from, slight, cone cry.

Good luck.

4. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

someone help me
    what's a wet cabinet?

5. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

Wet cabinet? I've been around this stuff a long time but have never heard of a wet cab. Did somebody just make it up?

6. ethereal cereal

Wet cabinet=effected cabinet. A common way of running effects that leaves the original amp tone intact (dry). A line out signal is taken from the dry amp and sent to an effects processor usually set for 100% effected (wet) signal which is amplified through another amp or sent to a power amp and pair of speakers for stereo effects. This results in effects being added much in the same way they are in a studio. I add a volume pedal in front of the effects processor to control the amount of effect (reverb and delay).

7. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

ah ha! thanks

so what do you mean by W-D-W?

8. ethereal cereal

Wet-dry-wet. Dry cabinet in the middle surrounded by 2 effected cabinets providing stereo reverb and delay.

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

for another perspective:
    i've consistently used a w/d/w or w/d set-up since around 1983,
    both for live performances & recordings.

for the wet-sides, i like to use 2 open-backed 2x12 cabs;
    i want headroom, a lack of beaminess,
    and don't want the wet-side sounds to depend upon nor be colored by "pushing" the speakers, at all.

to guarantee the headroom, wet-sides are 100w tube-amps, per side;
    so, i tend to use 100w open-backed combo-amps:
    the signal goes straight into the power-amps, bypassing all pre-amp stages.

the speakers are well-broken-in celestion g12-85's:
    i have no beaminess, no cone-cry, etc.
    works for me!

for the last few years, i've most often been using a simpler w/d set-up, fwiw,
    wherein the wet-side (loops, reverbs, special fx) are, on their own, mono.

10. ethereal cereal

Thanks for the input Mr. Torn. I have a pair of 1-12 open back cabinets for the wet signal, think I'll try some higher wattage speakers in them. Since these cabinets are 100% wet I've been using a 100 watt/side solid state amp as I'm not looking for any tube coloration ( is that a word?) of the wet signal.
    BTW, big fan of your playing and sonic innovation sir!

11. glennscottharris

glennscottharris Member

Sounds like fun except for every time I'd have to talk to the sound guy about mic'ing multiple cabs.. of course, I guess you could do your own micing, run a little mixer and send him an xlr.

12. stelligan

stelligan Member

I have used Tech21 power engines for this purpose for a long time. Recently added a GR-55 to the rig and needed more highs. These Eminence speakers go lower and up past 8k. They reveal more hiss in the PEs, but so far I dig them. Wider frequency response, but affordable. 225 watt speaker

Eminence Beta 12-LTA
    [​IMG]