Wet/Dry in one 4X12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SittinIdol, Feb 26, 2012.

1. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Member

Slap me if I'm crazy.

Here's my rig right now:

Mesa Mark IIC+

TC G-System

Mesa 4X12 Halfback Cabinet (with optional panel to fully close the back)

I've been thinking of trying a W/D or W/D/W rig for a while, but cash is very tight as I have 2 young kids and space is at a premium as well. I'm looking for a SS power amp for the wet side, or possibly a low-cost Tube power amp (Carvin, Peavey, or even some of the Mesas have been selling for decent prices lately.

It would be awesome to have 2 1X12 cabinets in stereo for the Wet, but anything decent is pretty expensive. So this idea popped into my head.

Right now the cabinet is wired Series/Parallel at 8 ohms. 2 Celestion G12-65s and 2 v30s in X pattern.

There is a divider between the top and bottom speakers, essentially making 2 pseudo 2x12 cabinets. I was thinking of using the bottom pair for dry, and wiring the top pair in stereo for wet.

This is going to be a lot of effort and a bit of cash, so just wondering if it's really worth it. Could also try just W/D with top wet/bottom dry.

Would phasing be an issue? I would want to have some dry in the wet speakers as well. And do you think the stereo spread from 2 12's side by side is even appreciable?

Thanks for reading

2. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I think isolating the two half cabs is essential to superior imaging, and I suggest rotating the cab so each half is vertically aligned- will maximize horizontal dispersion (try this and compare).

I use a half rack Stewart PA 100B for wet power- 100 watts/ch into 8 ohms or 200 bridged if you just do W/D, about 6 lbs, works great.

Gb

3. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

I do this ALL THE TIME.

I have a 2x12 that I've wired each 8ohm speaker individually to a jack.

I have a 4x12 that has 4ea 16ohm speakers and 2 inputs that I've wired @ 2x8ohms inputs.

The easiest way to do this is run out of your Slave out, into your effects into the effect return a cheap solid state amp. It will sound a little brighter than your Mesa Simul-Class power but will be a wonderful sound together. I also use an Ernie Ball volume pedal to modulate how much effect you want going to the other speakers/amp.

And for my second amp I use a Electro-Harmonix 22 caliber power amp. It's the size of an effect pedal, cost less than $100 new, has a volume control and a bright switch.

Oh, I my primary amps are Mesas: A Mark V, Mark III and Dual Rec.

Hope that helps.

4. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Member

Are you guys running your wet side 100% wet or with some dry in as well?

5. LPVM

LPVM Member

Two cabs gives you better stereo separation but stereo separation isn't always the goal. I used to do it all the time to add time based effects to a Plexi that didn't have a loop.

[​IMG]

6. Blix

Blix Member

I have my rig set up in the similar fashion of EVH, Steve Stevens and Pete Torn and as them run plenty dry in the wet cabs as well, so the basic distorted rhythm sounds aren't that effected or "super-big stereo" just going for balls :) Unless I'm using a harmonizer for more of a 80's type of EVH tone of course.
    But for cleans and solos I can lay on more stereo effects and ease off the dry in the wet cabs for a nice big sound.

Having a stereo w/d/w or w/d rig doesn't mean you have to pile on the ping-pong delays and massive hall reverbs, but used sparingly and right, it's sure nice to have the option!

7. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I've tried it and it sound like crap. My "wet" signal also contains dry as well. I had it in a Marshall 4x12 wired for stereo. I tried it with speakers wired side to side, top to bottom and in a X and nothing sounded that good. Using delay through the loop sounded better when using a single 4x12.

I have also tried the w/d/w thing with 1x12 for the wet and it still sounds small...and I was using Thieles. Nothing beats another 4x12 (or a few) for w/d/w.

8. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Member

Yeah, I would like to run dry in the wet section as well, I guess it's just a matter of whether the G-system output would be out of phase with the amp's signal at all. Only way to find out is try it, maybe I will try this first with another amp to test for phase.

9. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Member

For sure I would love to have 3 4X12's side by side, but it's pretty rare that we play venues big enough to allow this. Also for those who run W/D, have you had much resistance from sound guys who don't want to mic each cabinet?

10. Blix

Blix Member

I haven't had any trouble with sound guys so far, but I haven't done that many gigs with the full setup, and the gigs I did were fairly large with monster PA's, so the sound guys liked it... :)

Right now I'm running only w/d with two 1x12's with EV12L's and it's quite a huge sound in a fairly compact format, but I'll add another 1x12 for having the option to run it all from just the amp and a cab, to the full rig.

Honestly, you probably get a much better result just adding a 1x12 and do w/d as well, instead of trying to do it all in one cabinet.

11. Blix

Blix Member

Also, I use a CAE line-out box, which is pretty much identical to the Suhr line-out box, both the ground lift and phase switch on them comes in handy when setting up such a rig.

12. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Member

Yeah, I think at least 1 or 2 1X12's for wet would be the way to go. The Mesa has a Slave out so I would use that to run the effects off, same idea as the line out boxes right?

13. Blix

Blix Member

That depends on the slave output. The line out boxes is placed between head and cabinet, so it gets the full amp signal. Most amp line-outs doesn't do that.

14. soulohio

soulohio Member

I ran two very small combo amps...an old Univox with a 10" speaker and a Fender VibroChamp fed from my pedal board...it sounded righteous. Two mics and the soundman loves ya...