Wet/Dry Rig with 19" units...

Earplayer

Hi there!

I want to build up a wet/dry rig... my rig is a vintage Marshall full-stack played with an Attenuator. Now i want some ambience Reverb and Delay...

So i thought about that:

Marshall Superlead --> Attenuator Line Out --> Reverb/Delay unit --> Poweramp --> Wet-cab.

What Delay/Reverb and poweramp units would you recommend??? i hate bells and whistles on any gear it has to be simple - would be cool if i could select some Reverb/Delay presets with a simple foot-switch...

I really don´t have experience with all that rack-stuff - so any help would be really cool.

Thanks - all the best, Tom.

Last edited:

Steve73

I just sold a rack I made for this exact purpose you are. Sounded great, but I didn't need the extra luggage for all my gigs. I used a Carvin DCM150 power amp. It was perfect, 75w a side, which was plenty for the wet side. Also, if you wanted, you could expand to a wet/dry/wet setup with the other channel on the power amp. With that, I used a TC2290 delay and controlled it with a midi foot controller on my pedalboard. You might want to look into a TC Electronic D-Two.
Lastly, get a good quality volume pedal (after the attenuator, before the delay) to control the amount of wet signal you want added to the dry.

Earplayer

thank you steve!

i will try that out!! so you got rid of it and you are playing without time-based fx?

Steve73

thank you steve!

i will try that out!! so you got rid of it and you are playing without time-based fx?

No problem! Actually, once you try the wet/dry thing, it is hard to go back because it just sounds so good.

Now, to lighten my load to gigs, I still do a wet rig but it is all contained on my pedalboard. I use a Timefactor for delay, an Electro-Harmonix .44 Magnum for a power amp (44 watts in a pedal enclosure!) which runs to a 1x12 cab. I still use a volume pedal to blend in as much wet as I need. Works great, sounds great and it is one less big box for me to carry to gigs.

Earplayer

hey steve thanks that is really cool - i was thinking about that too - but no reverb or delay :dunnopedal can handle the line-level of the attenuator i think maybe i am wrong??

Steve73

I guess it depends on the attenuator. I am using an Alex attenuator that has a Line Out Volume level, so I can adjust it to where it'll work properly with either. I am also using a Timefactor for delay and that pedal can handle either line level or instrument level as well via switches on the back. I think the 2290/Carvin setup sounded a tiny bit better than the Timefactor/EHX combo, but it is so close, (like 95% there) that it isn't worth carrying the extra rack around. Also, I don't need a midi controller on my pedalboard for the Timefactor, like I would with the 2290.

barryoneal

What attenuator are you using? If it doesn't do instrument/line level it can likely be made to work by other means.

Doing the wet dry thing with your pedalboard is really cool. You might want to try it out with a small combo set clean, get a sense of how it works for you.

Steve is right though, once you try it you'll likely miss aspects of it if you ever go back. :)

All the best,
-barry.

Earplayer

hi there!

well i have an alex attenuator (i am still thinking about getting the aracom dag....) - i have tried the line out into a combo and used the delay/reverb from the combo - main sound was my cranked ´71 superlead through a 412 G12M cab... EVH pure!!!! 2 hours instant evh-shredding... i was surprised how good that worked... :dude

at the moment i am thinking about two ways:

19" tc 2290
19" ss poweramp
(midi) footcontroller with expression pedal

or

eventide timefactor
magnum 44 poweramp
ernieball jr volume pedal

wet signal would go into a slanted 412 basketweave with g12h pre rolas. my main dry cab is the straight 412 basketweave g12m prerola cab... but i hate lots of bells and whistles and complicated programming... so i have no clue how i would manage the rack thing actually i would need someone helping me out - i am just a simple guitar player i guess but i really love time-based effects from time to time like some reverb and delay especially for some soloing...

all the best, tom.

Steve73

Man, you get either option up and running with those 4x12's, and it is going to be the hammer of the gods! If you really wanted to get crazy, you could go wet/dry/wet with a stereo power amp (two independent wet channels) and another cab.
Like I said, if mobility wasn't a consideration and you wanted the absolute best tone available, the rack option would probably be the way to go I think. It is no harder to hook up than a pedalboard. Line out from attenuator to volume pedal, volume pedal to delay input, delay output to poweramp then to your speakers. There is a bit of a learning curve with delay rack units but most of them have very good manuals and lots of good presets to start tweaking from.
I gig tons and have to move my gear alot (sometimes some long, tricky load-ins) so the pedalboard wet rig is the best solution for me.

Mookyshoots

Silver Supporting Member
I did something similar about 10 years ago. I ran my Fender Prosonic combo (w/ two custom Celestion 10") through a THD Hot Plate and ran the line-out through a Rocktron Intellifex into a Rocktron Velocity power amp and out to a Fender Prosonic 4x12 (w/ Vintage 30s). I controlled the setup with a old ADA midi controller since the Intellifex also had a programmable channel switch jack for the Prosonic. It was a very sweet setup since I got a great wet/dry mix as well as the mix of speakers and didn't need a single outboard pedal (though that volume pedal tip would've been great). There are days I when I still think about going back to a setup like that.

Best of luck with your rig,

Henry

Earplayer

thanks. yeah that setup is ****in killer... i have finally ordered the aracom dag - i will see which one performs better alex vs aracom...

what reverb/delay 19" rack unit can you recommend - very good quality tone/sound-wise and it should be very easy to handle... i need only 4-5 presets and that´s it. i was thinking of a midi-moose as a switcher.

cheers

zachman

thanks. yeah that setup is ****in killer... i have finally ordered the aracom dag - i will see which one performs better alex vs aracom...

what reverb/delay 19" rack unit can you recommend - very good quality tone/sound-wise and it should be very easy to handle... i need only 4-5 presets and that´s it. i was thinking of a midi-moose as a switcher.

cheers

rocktron intellifex
TC G-Major2
TC D-Two
TC 2290
Roland SDE3000

Earplayer

hi zach!

the gmajor2 is really cool - i am looking out for one right now.

a midi-footcontroller with a volume pedal on it would work too as an expression pedal for the wet signal i guess... ?

Earplayer

I have ordered a Lexicon MX200 i just need a good and cheap poweramp running at 16ohms. A two way footswitch one for reverb and one for delay. Thats all i need anyway...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom