• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wet/dry, two amp rigs... Any experience in this dept.?

LittleWagon

Hey all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum!

Do any of you have experience with two amp, wet/dry rigs? I'm building a new tour rig, based around a Mastermind PBC, so I'm going to have tons of options for signal routing... A tech recommended the wet/dry setup, rather than a two amp stereo rig. He said I would have better "definition" on stage, and the FOH would be happier too.

I always have some reverb or delay on my sound, so the wet amp would be going at all times... My concern is that I might have a tough time keeping my effected signal where I want it in terms of balance with the dry. I'm worried that my tone will sound "drowned" in whatever effect I'm using, and also that FOH could screw up my sound in the fronts...

Is it really a better bet than a stereo, or two amps in mono type of rig??? I'm using a Tweed Super and a Tremolux together.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Blues Lyne

I use a variation of a wet/dry rig. I have a dry amp, but the wet isn't 100% wet, it is a mix of wet and dry. I think you do get better definition with one amp dry. As far as the balance, it's pretty easy to dial the wet amp in for the amount you want. If are running a true wet amp, you can put a volume pedal after the wet effects to allow you to adjust your wet dry mix on the fly.

Yes, the FOH could mess up your sound, but they can always do that. To a certain extent you are giving them control of your wet dry mix. I usually tell them to keep the volume faders the same on both channels and let me mix them on the stage.

DaveKS

I'm same camp, wet amp is always mix of wet/dry. You get benefit of having true dual amp od and if you use parallel blending on mastermind in conjunction with a volume pedal on wet loop you'll be able to control wet level on fly. Me I like vol pedal before delays etc so you can do swells with trails ala' Gilmore.

Not sure but can a expression controller be used to control blend parameters of the PBC? Know it can send exp control to other devices.

Really PBC should be able to configure as true dry/100% wet on fly or any degree of variation using its parallel blend.

True stereo sounds great but it can be a logistical nightmare at times on stage. But even wet/dry can be if also if foh isn't setup to deal with it. "What amp you want mic'd?" "Both, it's wet/dry." "Sorry we only got one open mic feed for you" Sounds like you might be playing at a venue level where that might not be a problem though.

LittleWagon

I'm same camp, wet amp is always mix of wet/dry. You get benefit of having true dual amp od and if you use parallel blending on mastermind in conjunction with a volume pedal on wet loop you'll be able to control wet level on fly. Me I like vol pedal before delays etc so you can do swells with trails ala' Gilmore.

Not sure but can a expression controller be used to control blend parameters of the PBC? Know it can send exp control to other devices.

Really PBC should be able to configure as true dry/100% wet on fly or any degree of variation using its parallel blend.

True stereo sounds great but it can be a logistical nightmare at times on stage. But even wet/dry can be if also if foh isn't setup to deal with it. "What amp you want mic'd?" "Both, it's wet/dry." "Sorry we only got one open mic feed for you" Sounds like you might be playing at a venue level where that might not be a problem though.

The smallest venues I'll be working with in the coming year will be around the 200-person mark... If i end up with a smaller gig, apparently the PBC can sum down the left/right, wet/dry signal to a single amp with the press of a button.

Here's my rough plan; My 35 watt Tweed Super for the dry signal, and my 15 watt Tremolux for the wet. I like the idea of having like a "75% wet, 25% dry" signal in that smaller amp too... That sounds like a good mix.

I just don't know how the PBC controls the levels in the line mixer... I think I'd probably have to have the H9 and reverb pedals at less than "kill dry" to accomplish that.

DaveKS

Well from what I understand on PBC, but I will preface this that I've never used one, you could go series effect>effect>effect and then put vol pedal last loop and have PBC parallel blend that in with your dry signal. Great thing is you could set wether dry is 0-10-30-40-60% level on a preset by preset basis.

LittleWagon

Well from what I understand on PBC, but I will preface this that I've never used one, you could go series effect>effect>effect and then put vol pedal last loop and have PBC parallel blend that in with your dry signal. Great thing is you could set wether dry is 0-10-30-40-60% level on a preset by preset basis.
Wow, that's kinda cool! So I would put a volume pedal in Loop 10 (in parallel), after my H9 and reverb? Then the volume pedal would only control the wet mix???

Trending Topics