Wet/Dry/Wet Rig question

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Haven't dipped my toe into wet/dry/wet but when i ran a wet/dry it was always:

Guitar > Drives > into dry. and wet side (with modulations,etc.)

The drives were always in the signal path of either side.

Your revised diagram seems on point - i do have a comment regarding the volume pedal in that diagram:

the way its wired, the VP would control all volume - if you isolated the volume pedal to just the two WET sides you could swell in / dial out your wet sides without losing the DRY center channel. You would still have the mute from the Switcher and guitar volume knobs as the "master"

Last edited:

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't dipped my toe into wet/dry/wet but when i ran a wet/dry it was always:

Guitar > Drives > into dry. and wet side (with modulations,etc.)

The drives were always in the signal path of either side.

Your revised diagram seems on point - i do have a comment regarding the volume pedal in that diagram:

the way its wired, the VP would control all volume - if you isolated the volume pedal to just the two WET sides you could swell in / dial out your wet sides without losing the DRY center channel. You would still have the mute from the Switcher and guitar volume knobs as the "master"
I can’t speak on their behalf, but I can say that my preference is to have the volume pedal control both sides. Volume swells with my feet just feel most natural to me.

GreatGreen

So here's a question for the guys who run W/D/W rigs:

Do you guys run your Wet cabs 100% wet or do you blend your dry signal into them?

acev

Do you guys run your Wet cabs 100% wet or do you blend your dry signal into them?
Hi, I use a WDW rig - I add some of the dry sound to the wet cabs also, via mixer. I think it sounds a bit fuller than 100% wet. The amount of dry varies, 30-50% I would say. Also I noticed when you add dry to the wet cabs, the wet cab sound becomes more important. My outside cabs are very boomy (changing soon), so mixing in too much dry made the sound too boomy and flubby. I have to use extra eq to dial it down. With better cabs, should work nicely and keep it tight, not to overpower the center cab.

Roe

I've experimented a little with wet/dry at home. With various british/celestion 12" speakers for the dry tone, I prefer british 10" speakers for the wet tone. I tried a Jbl/evm combo for the wet tones, but it differed too much from the dry tone for my taste.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member

Think of the old w/d/w rigs of EVH, Luke, Landau etc as a plain old stereo rig, with an additional dry cab added. Because that's what they were.
So yes, full dry in the "wet" cabs. :)

acev

I dont know if they had full dry in the cabs, full dry for me sounds a bit too "congested" and too much of everything. I think I saw a video of Michael Nielsen which said Friedman mixes like 50% dry in the wet cabs.

GreatGreen

Personally, if I was going for a W/D/W rig where the Wet cabs were true 100% Wet only cabs, I couldn't justify anything more than a 1x12 cab per side no matter how big the gig. Seems like a total waste to devote two whole 4x12 cabs or even two 2x12 cabs to reverb and delay trails and/or pitch shifting only.

If I ran Dry signal into the Wet cabs though, sky's the limit. :)

mallcorn

Personally, if I was going for a W/D/W rig where the Wet cabs were true 100% Wet only cabs, I couldn't justify anything more than a 1x12 cab per side no matter how big the gig. Seems like a total waste to devote two whole 4x12 cabs or even two 2x12 cabs to reverb and delay trails and/or pitch shifting only.

If I ran Dry signal into the Wet cabs though, sky's the limit. :)
I still use two 1x12 Bogner Cubes for my Left and Right wet cabs and a 412 for the center dry. If a wet effect is on, it only broadcasts the wet signal. If the effect is off, the dry signal is sent to the left and right cabs. I have tried sending a mix of wet and dry to the wet cabs against just sending wet only. I didn't find that it made that much difference unless you really wanted a pronounced wet outside the dry.

ctreitzell

100% wet!
but, sometimes it is good to have dry coming out of all the speakers. I set a bypass on the FX for that

I have no plans to gig my rig...zero

Funky54

I split my guitar signal, I send all dirt to my AC30. I send true stereo or ping pong or dedicated single repeats to the wet amps. Been doing it this way for 30 years.

Current board: I also set a AD999 on top of my 18 watt clone to sometimes delay a dedicated second repeat.

Trending Topics