Wet-rig demo

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
A youtube subscriber asked me if I would put together a demo explaining my wet rig. Took me a little while to get it together, but here it is. My goal, beyond getting a great stereo effects sound, was keeping the rig pretty compact, portable, and simple to setup/teardown.

Of course...there's a built-in contradiction when you talk about a "small, easy to use" wet-rig, LOL, but this has proved to be close enough for me.

LPVM

Love that sound when you kick that amp up a notch towards the end.

I do this every once in a while. It's especially fun with vintage amps that otherwise wouldn't work with effects like this. I was doing this last weekend with a bunch of my old amps. Unfortunately my set up isn't nearly as portable as yours. LOL I really should work on that because mine isn't something I would want to drag around. The size of your rig is perfect. I'm doing it with an attenuator set to load and running the line out through my time based effects then into a rack mounted power amp to push a pair of 212 cabs.

Since I'm using a load box arrangement I'm running mine with speakers only connected to the power amp so I have the side benefit of having complete volume control from nothing to paint peeling levels. I had a cranked Traynor YBA-1 running through it last night while my family was watching TV in the next room. :D

Last edited:

Tubenit

Leon,

Always enjoy your playing and tone! THANKS for sharing your wet/dry rig setup! I appreciate your generousity in sharing your knowledge.

With respect, Tubenit

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Leon,

Always enjoy your playing and tone! THANKS for sharing your wet/dry rig setup! I appreciate your generousity in sharing your knowledge.

With respect, Tubenit
My pleasure; thank you!

Love that sound when you kick that amp up a notch towards the end.

I do this every once in a while. It's especially fun with vintage amps that otherwise wouldn't work with effects like this. I was doing this last weekend with a bunch of my old amps. Unfortunately my set up isn't nearly as portable as yours. LOL I really should work on that because mine isn't something I would want to drag around. The size of your rig is perfect. I'm doing it with an attenuator set to load and running the line out through my time based effects then into a rack mounted power amp to push a pair of 212 cabs.

Since I'm using a load box arrangement I'm running mine with speakers only connected to the power amp so I have the side benefit of having complete volume control from nothing to paint peeling levels. I had a cranked Traynor YBA-1 running through it last night while my family was watching TV in the next room. :D
LPVM...not 100% sure I followed you; so you've set your dry rig volume to "off" with your load-bearing device? Do you have your effects set up to mix some dry signal in? I used to do something like that with my first wet rig; I was using a Webber MASS to get the line level signal and control the dry rig volume. Yah, that's a great way to go when you've got volume constraints. I'll still do that on occasion.

LPVM

Yes on the effects being blended wet & dry. I've done the wet/dry/wet thing with a Silvertone 1482 a few times when volume wasn't a concern and that was also very nice. It really changed the character of that little amp. Good stuff.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Yeah, one of the first things I wind up doing when I get an old amp is remove the leads from the OT to the speaker and solder them to a 1/4" jack. Then add a speaker cable from speaker terminals to 1/4" male plug. That way, I can get something between the amp and speaker. Redbox for wet rig, typically. Unleash for volume control. Sometimes both. Sometimes, just a different speaker cab. That'd certainly be a really useful "mod" on a little amp like the 1482.

DaveKS

Great setup and explaining of wet/dry usage. Really shows off the advantage of giving your dry signal its own untainted amp/speaker voice.

LPVM

Yeah, one of the first things I wind up doing when I get an old amp is remove the leads from the OT to the speaker and solder them to a 1/4" jack. Then add a speaker cable from speaker terminals to 1/4" male plug. That way, I can get something between the amp and speaker. Redbox for wet rig, typically. Unleash for volume control. Sometimes both. Sometimes, just a different speaker cab.
:D I do exactly the same thing.

corn husk bag

As others have expressed, thank you kindly for this information. You did a great job with it! Much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Steve

corn husk bag

Leon,
Are the speakers in the cabs the same as the one in the amp? Sounds so good in your video for what I have experienced as a thin sounding speaker.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Thanks gents, much appreciated!

Leon,
Are the speakers in the cabs the same as the one in the amp? Sounds so good in your video for what I have experienced as a thin sounding speaker.

Kind Regards,
Steve
I've got an Eminence Screaming Eagle (12") in the ValClone amp and I've got Eminence Lil Buddies (10" hemp cones) in the two wet cabs. IME, the SE is a relatively balanced sounding speaker with highs that are a little softer than many Celestions (or even older Jensens); they're a bit thicker in the mids IMO. The Lil Buddy seems sort of akin to 10" Cannabis Rex.

corn husk bag

Leon,
Thank you for the speaker info.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Thanks gents, much appreciated!

I've got an Eminence Screaming Eagle (12") in the ValClone amp and I've got Eminence Lil Buddies (10" hemp cones) in the two wet cabs. IME, the SE is a relatively balanced sounding speaker with highs that are a little softer than many Celestions (or even older Jensens); they're a bit thicker in the mids IMO. The Lil Buddy seems sort of akin to 10" Cannabis Rex.

Trending Topics