We've been asked to set up and play for free on an "off" night.......

2HBStrat

A guy I know (not well) has bought a local landmark bar for his daughter to run. This place has gone through about 5 or 6 owners in the past few years and nobody can keep it going. Our band played there, 3 or 4 owners back, and did well (the previous several owners set up as more or a restaurant and didn't have bands at all). So I talked to this guy about us playing there and he wants us to come on an off night, "like a Wednesday", and play, maybe not even advertised, or maybe have a jam, and though it was unsaid, obviously as an audition. This p!$$e$ me off. He already has two bands booked that are contemporaries of ours, and who are good, but not any better than us......but whatever. I won't do it, and I'm not even going to mention it to the rest of the band. I don't need any thoughts or suggestions but they are welcome anyway.....I just wanted to vent a little......thanks for listening....

ibis

Turn up as agreed but without any gear and sing one song acapella. Then leave a card and bugger off.

Bickford

Why is it that when you offer a service of the artistic nature, people assume you'll do it for free? I get asked to do weddings and I say $100 if it's just the service, $200 if I need to be at rehearsal the night before, and $350 if I also play at the reception. Playing for other people is a lot of fun, but there are other things I'd rather do for free

2HBStrat

Why is it that when you offer a service of the artistic nature, people assume you'll do it for free? I get asked to do weddings and I say $100 if it's just the service, $200 if I need to be at rehearsal the night before, and $350 if I also play at the reception. Playing for other people is a lot of fun, but there are other things I'd rather do for free
What do you do?

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
A guy I know (not well) has bought a local landmark bar for his daughter to run. This place has gone through about 5 or 6 owners in the past few years and nobody can keep it going. Our band played there, 3 or 4 owners back, and did well (the previous several owners set up as more or a restaurant and didn't have bands at all). So I talked to this guy about us playing there and he wants us to come on an off night, "like a Wednesday", and play, maybe not even advertised, or maybe have a jam, and though it was unsaid, obviously as an audition. This p!$$e$ me off. He already has two bands booked that are contemporaries of ours, and who are good, but not any better than us......but whatever. I won't do it, and I'm not even going to mention it to the rest of the band. I don't need any thoughts or suggestions but they are welcome anyway.....I just wanted to vent a little......thanks for listening....
Promo pack?

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
The last time someone laid this BS on me was in '85 when some new club up here in Sussex County wanted us to audition, despite the fact that I gave the guy a cassette and a videotape of the band. The club was owned by a Sparta cop and partners, and was called, "Jimmy G's...The Happening 'In' Place To Be." Really. They even had disco lighting. Pathetic.

It was the same shtick; come in on an "off" night and play for free. I told him to shove it.

They went out of business in about six months.

Trending Topics