WGS ET-65: How long do I wait before pulling them out?

I got my 2x12 cab loaded up yesterday with the ET-65's that I bought. So far, not so good. Not a fan right now. I feel like they're dark without warmth, and kind of fizzy. I know that speakers need a break in period, but it's going to be hard for me to make it, it's the kind of sound that really just makes me want to stop playing.

I have an original G12-65 in my JCM800 4010, and while there are definitely similarities between the two, the WGS sound considerably fizzier and somehow scooped and mid-heavy at the same time. Not what I was looking for.

How long should I try them before throwing in the towel and trying something else? Anyone else have a similar experience?

BlueRiff

I got my 2x12 cab loaded up yesterday with the ET-65's that I bought. So far, not so good. Not a fan right now. I feel like they're dark without warmth, and kind of fizzy. I know that speakers need a break in period, but it's going to be hard for me to make it, it's the kind of sound that really just makes me want to stop playing.

I have an original G12-65 in my JCM800 4010, and while there are definitely similarities between the two, the WGS sound considerably fizzier and somehow scooped and mid-heavy at the same time. Not what I was looking for.

How long should I try them before throwing in the towel and trying something else? Anyone else have a similar experience?
I think you should remove them immediately. While breaking in a speaker will slightly change/warm the tone, its not going to completely transform into another sound. From my experience replacing speakers is that if I really like a speaker, I know it right away - even if not broken in. If speaker makes you not want to play - they're DOA.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
The ET-65's ...when broken in... sound the most similar to my old G12-65's..no fizz.. I hate fizz..... More so than the Celestion reissues of that same speaker...... Earcandy cabs has a break in CD they sell on Reverb.... might be worth a shot...because unbroken in speakers definitely suck:(

Root5150

In Denial
I think you should remove them immediately. While breaking in a speaker will slightly change/warm the tone, its not going to completely transform into another sound. From my experience replacing speakers is that if I really like a speaker, I know it right away - even if not broken in. If speaker makes you not want to play - they're DOA.

Agreed. Break in usually "mellows out" the speaker, or softens it up a little. It doesn't transform it tonally in my experience. If it's not even close to where you want it to be, then I'd move on. The great thing about WGS is that they take returns if you bought it from them directly.

I own an ET-65. It blends well when mixed with something brighter in a 2x12 setup (like a Vet 30 for example) at least with the amps I've paired it with, but by itself it can be as you described it. Love it with my Port City Pearl. Hated it with my Two Rock SP50, Swart AST, and Z M12. YMMV

ET's don't have a lot of cutting mids.. When I used them with my Mark V, I'd push the 2.2K slider up high to get the mix cut you need. Now it's Hellatone 30's

Agreed. Break in usually "mellows out" the speaker, or softens it up a little. It doesn't transform it tonally in my experience. If it's not even close to where you want it to be, then I'd move on. The great thing about WGS is that they take returns if you bought it from them directly.

I bought them from Musician's Friend, unfortunately. I wouldn't expect them to take them back.

I agree with the general concensus here, pull'em. My limited experience with broken in speakers is that they "tame" certain frequencies. They'll never add missing frequencies or remove bad ones. Just my 2c.

I agree with the general concensus here, pull'em. My limited experience with broken in speakers is that they "tame" certain frequencies. They'll never add missing frequencies or remove bad ones. Just my 2c.

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to keep them for very long unfortunately. If the fizziness goes away that would help but overall I'm just not bonding here.

I was thinking of picking of a Retro 30 or something to mix it with but I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

AXEL276

I like them. They are my favorite speaker right now. I have one in an Orange 1 x 12 which I am playing my Mesa Mark V;35. I prefer them over a Creamback and Vintage and Veteran 30's (which I've used) in this setup.
I get zero fizz through this rig. OP, what amp are you using?

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member

Your description surprises me. Not my experience with them at all. I've stopped using Celestion 65's because of ghosting and have had no issues with the ET-65's at all and I've mounted almost a dozen pairs of them. What type of amp and cab are you using and what volumes are you playing at?

Guinness Lad

Sounds odd to me. I put one in a Matchless SC30, compared to a 20 year old V30 that was there it doesn't sound fizzy at all. Maybe it's just the wrong voice for your amp.

I loaded them into a Seismic Audio 2x12, closed back. I tried the cab with a 50w jcm800 and a Carvin x100b. Haven't wound it up to band volume yet, but was playing above a normal conversion volume.

Compared to the old G12-65 in my jcm800 combo, there's more fullness on the bottom end from the closed back cab, but the mids are pretty different and they're not very smooth at all. Kind of a ratty overdrive. They sound better clean to my ears so far.

MHG

I absolutely love the ET-65's with D-style amps. Definitely prefer them to Celestions.

I've found that WGS speakers change considerably following the initial shift that occurs after a fairly short period of high volume playing. Every WGS speaker I own, didn't sound that great right out of the box. I've had the exact same situation as you, with a few different models, but ended up loving them after a fairly short break-in period. Like a night and day kind of change.

So imo, breaking them in is a must, and makes a huge difference with these speakers.

Reactions: Rod

onetracker

love the et-65's. I move them around into different configurations with different amps and they always sound great to my ears. but this is about what works for you. have you cranked them babies up to gig volume?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom