WGS ET-65 Too much bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vicdeluca71, Feb 19, 2016.

1. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Or is it me.I know these get praise around these parts and I'm not saying its a bad speaker but why do i find myself turning down the bass no matter what circuit i try these through.Dot like the bass at all with this speak

2. willyboy

willyboy Member

I really like that speaker in my 69 Deluxe. I've never had issues with too much bass with that speaker, and I've had a few other speakers in that amp including a vintage JBL D120F.

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

I have one in my home built Princeton reverb. I find it well balanced. I like the fatness and smooth highs. It's a tad weak in the extreme highs, but that works in a fairly bright amp like the Princeton.

candid_x likes this.
  4. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I just put one in my Supro Dual tone and for a British voiced speaker I've found it surprisingly clean and scooped.

5. LPVM

LPVM Member

I've got a pair of them in a deep pine 212 cab and I like them. It's a partial open back cab so that probably helps. I haven't tried closing them in yet. A lot of people seem to like mixing them with Veteran 30's. You might want to give that a try because that would introduce more high frequency bite.

6. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

What amp do you have?

Not all amps are voiced the same...and your amp circuit may be just a bad match for that speaker.

One of my 6L6 amps is so deep voiced that a tubeset or speaker that is bass augmented is a non starter. I run the bass control very low.

OTOH... another of my amps. .an EL 84 amp... could use a bass augmented speaker so I don't have to turn the dial to 10.

7. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

They came in a twin reverb and I stuck them in a blackstar 2x12 openback. Tried them in a Twin,4104,renegade,traynor yba-1a. Someone said "fat" maybe that's it but balanced they are def not.

8. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I have an ET65 mixed with an Invader in a 2x12 cab with a closed back that I use with my Top Hat Emplexador and I feel that I have a bit too much bass no matter how I set the amp. I'm not sure if it is just the ET65, but I suspect that it is. It sounds pretty good with single coils in a tele or strat, but P90's and Humbuckers get a little too bassy. New speakers for that cab is on my list of things to try, but I haven't got around to it yet. I think I'm going to try an H and M mix from Scumback probably both 75Hz versions.

9. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

YES! Exactly

10. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

It's a warm speaker for sure. I've used the ET65 in mixed 2X12's and alone for several years now. I totally get how it feels (sounds) bass heavy and at times I find myself backing down on the bass on my Bassman so that I can tighten up my tone. With single coils I think they sound great. With humbuckers they can get pretty thick. The best application for me, that I've found, is to run the ET65 paired with a Veteran 30.
    Closed back actually tightens the bass up quite a bit.

garret likes this.
  11. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Yeah, reading that's a good combo, don't have a vet but will try it with something else. Alone the 65 is unusable for me with my amps there is something going on in the low end I just can't dial out

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  12. broken_sound

broken_sound Member

It's THE combo. I do like the 65's alone, i feel the powerful highs really allow for the signal to shine through over the warm bass and mids. That being said, the mid hump you get in the Vet 30's really creates a punchy warm combo with the et65s. Definitely worth a try, you'll probably love it.

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  13. Structo

Structo Member

Also depends on the location of the spkr cab.

If it sits in a corner, then yes, more bass.

If it is back against a wall, more bass.

14. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Do u use open or closed back?

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  15. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I'm using a blues breaker style semi-open back Sour Mash cab with my ET65/Vet30 mix. It's sound absolutely killer. The only way I can describe it is that the ET65 is rated as a 6 4 6 (bass, mid, treble) and the Vet 30 is a 5 7 5 (bass, mid, treble). Blended together its a complete sound, a really good complete sound. To me, it almost sounds like one gigantic greenback LOL!

I keep thinking I'd like a 2x12 ET65 cab, but whenever I pull the Vet 30 from the mix and play just the single ET65 for a few days I'm always thinking, "Eh, not doing much for me." When I drop that Vet30 back into the mix I'm always saying, "Yup...there it is." Weird but they both just work so well together.

16. broken_sound

broken_sound Member

I ran this combo in a closed back 6x12 for a couple years.

17. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I've never used the WGS ET-65, but I've had the Celestion G12-65s, which the WGS are supposed to be clones of. The Celestions definitely had way too much low end for my use. I had them in a Marshall 2X12, using it with my Silver Jubilee and they were entirely too deep in the lows. Couldn't be dialed out or balanced either. I swapped them out for V30's, which I'm not a huge fan of, but they worked a lot better with that amp. The G12-65 Heritages are very highly regarded speakers. Didn't work for me. I guess if you had a brighter, more strident amp, or for adding a tighter low end to a Fender style amp, they're probably perfect.

18. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

My exact sentiment on the WGS version

19. LPVM

LPVM Member

I've got a V30 loaded 212 cab and a ET65 loaded 212. I'm going to do some speaker swapping tomorrow and check that mix out.

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  20. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Fun fact, though, is that the Liberator has even more lows but doesn't come off as nearly as uncontrolled in the lows. Could that have to do with the presence of the speaker? The Lib is lower resonance though and therefore should have better control down below.

Besides it's still a rather dark speaker with more lows than for instance a G12M.