WGS ET-65 vs. Celestion G12-65?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by papersoul, Dec 24, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Are these really close? I have heard clips of both but you know how that goes, LOL. I think Celestion is the benchmark for a lot of speakers out there....but do they really improve on what is considered already a great speaker? I hear these are quite different. I have been eyeing up a pair of the ET-65s but also some 80s era (I believe they are Rola) Celestion G12-65s. This is for an oversized 212 cab.

Anyone? Thanks!

2. papersoul

papersoul Member

What I am thinking is either getting two of the older Celestion G12-65s or a pair of WGS speakers. I hear the ET65s can be dark on their own so I am thinking the Vet 30/ET65 could be a better pairing.

3. se7en

se7en Senior Member

The Vet 30's are supposed to be darker than a regular V30, fwiw.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No they arent really that close. The ET-65 lets more high gain sizzle thru but not in a bad way. A nice all around sounding speaker-more balanced than the G12-65.I dont consider them dark.The G12-65 is a darker speaker and great for taming said high gain sizzle. Its mids are more aggressive too. I like both depending on the amp. Bob

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks Bob! I use an Egnater Mod 50 head with mostly Marshall type tones and on the warm side. I like thick, warm tones. What do you think on which way I should go? :)

I heard the Vet30/ET65 is a nice combo but the Vet 30 can overpower the ET65!

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Yes the Vet can potentially overvoice the ET so it won't be heard. But then lots of guys mix M-weight and H-weight Greenies which is about the same missmatch, and that usually works out quite allright.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I'd give the ET a shot first. Way cheaper and may be what your looking for-especially if the amp isnt bright to begin with. Theres a reason ive got a pile of speakers in my closet.lol! Bob

8. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Rich, how about try one of each at first? Then with the Eggie cab you can plug into one, then the other, then both. If you like the blend, then keep it. I'm thinking that one cele and one WGS may be cool. If you like one much better than the other, then flip it and you probably won't be out much $$.

9. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

The celestion sounds a bit warmer. The WGS is leaner with more bite.
    Both good. Depends on your application.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks,

How about comparing Rola Celesiton G12-65 speakers to regular Celesiton G12-65 speakers from about the same period. Is the Rola mystic, just hype?

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have an ET-65 and a Vet30 in a 2x12 cab and they sound great together.

12. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I have the et65s and vet30s in an "X". The vet30s don't overpower the 65s, I hear them both just fine. A great mix.

13. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I don't think the Pre-Rola/ Post-Rola thing applies as much with the 65 as it does for instance with the regular M-Greenback. The H-screen negates the use of dope around the dustcap and the cone used for the 65 is not the same as the G12M25. BTW was the 65 even produced prior Rolas aquisition of Celestion?

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

Well I found an '82 G12-65. The guys said they are in great shape, sound fine, just much warmer than new. I am not spending $199 for the new reissue Heritage when I can get an 80s one for $100. I am pairing it with a G12K-85.