Wgs et 90 or swamp thang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aic7575, Apr 11, 2015.

1. aic7575

aic7575 Member

I need help deciding between these two speakers for my peavey classic 30. I'm looking for full body sound lots of headroom and to lose my amps harsh highs. Thanks for any advice

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have no experience with the WGS but the Swamp Thang will do exactly what you're looking for.

3. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Have you considered the Texas Heat?
    I recently put one in my Bandit and am very pleased with the added warmth it provides over the Blue Marvel.
    I believe the TH is the same cone as the Swamp Thing, with a 38 oz magnet vs. the Swamp Thangs' 60 oz

I put the Blue Marvel in a 112 ext cab and the pairing works well so far!!! Very punchy for open back cabs

4. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

No love for any of the WGS. Have put more than a few into other amps and didn't like a one of them. The Eminence stuff has proven to be great speakers for the money. That wizard is very nice, especially in EL circuits. You should notice a louder and more rounded tone but still some sizzle from the 84's in that circuit. That is not a bright amp by any means. Not that it cannot benefit from a better speaker, but that brightness may be in the tubes. Does it still have the Sovteks in it?

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I love the ET90 but it is a fairly bright speaker in a good way. Have not tried the Swamp Thing it may be a good match. The ET65 might be worth a try too.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I think that the ET-65 is a bit smoother than the ET-90. I have nothing but praise for it and use one all the time.

7. scorched

scorched Member

I have a ET-90. It is a fairly bright speaker. I had a Swamp Thing a few years back and remember liking it alot. Deep lows but a sweet top. BIG sounding speaker

When I got the ET-90 I also got a WGS Blackhawk HP. THAT speaker is awesome! It has a softer, smoother treble and wonderful lows but something in the lo-mids that is hard to describe. Sort of a bouncey, elastic feel that is sublime. It's expensive, but I think it's the best sounding speaker I've ever heard. As it breaks in it just keeps getting better.

I would look for something other that the ET-90 if your trying to tame a bright amp.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I was wondering if the higher wattage would alter the tone. 65 watts is also plenty for a C30.

9. aic7575

aic7575 Member

Spent my entire Saturday watching YouTube demos and listening to SoundCloud and reading reviews. I came across a video of the eminence governor and a wgs reaper HP. It sounded good. So I think I'm leaving my stock blue marvel in the c30 and getting a 112 cab equipped with a reaper HP. I'm confident that will sound good. The reaper shouldn't breakup too early.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015