WGS ET65 in a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GarMan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I am looking around for a well balanced speaker for my Hot Rod Deluxe. I have been looking at the ET65. Would this be a good match for the Deluxe? I am not looking for a dark dark speaker, but just warm, fat, and something that is a tad less brighter than that stock speaker. Thank you in advance.

2. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

one of the most common upgrades to the HR Dx.

Another good one (I use) is a Red, White and Blues by Emminence.

3. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Thank you John! What kind of results did you get with the Red, White, and Blue?

4. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I Put ET65 in my Peavey Classic 30, it help round out the sound, but not to "bassy". I love that speaker, top notch construction as well.

5. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

I started with the Red White and Blues as a replacement speaker and decided that it was too sterile sounding (120 Watts might have something to do with it). Based on Jim Price's recommendation I went with the Warehouse Veteran 30 (to complement my Omega upgrade) and I've never looked back. To my ears it's perfect -- warm, nuanced, nice tight bass (where the Red White and Blues was boomy).

6. mike361

mike361 Member

Put a et65 in my hrdx, love it. Warmed it up and the gain channels sound very good. I think WGS actually recommends the reaper though. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 65.

7. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I am afraid the reaper would have too much midrange? It is a Celestion V30 copy right?

8. blueman61

blueman61 Member

The veteran 30 is the vintage 30 clone. I love both the regular Reaper and the 55hz model. They sound good with both my Marshall and Fender Deluxe clone.

9. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

That's not true. The Retro 30 is the clone. The Veteran is the modified version.

Check out the Tone Chart.

http://wgs4.com/sites/default/files/WGS2011.pdf

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

I thought the 55Hz Reaper was way too dark, almost unusable. The ET-65 is voiced a little lower than most 75Hz M/H speakers, but I wouldn't call it dark.

11. blueman61

blueman61 Member

Aren't both of these(Veteran 30 and Retro 30) slight variations on the Vintage 30 theme? The website directly compares the Vet 30 to the Celestion Vintage 30, but compares the Retro to the Vet. I'm curious so I emailed them about it. Haven't heard back yet. Thanks for bringing this up.

12. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

To my ears the Retro falls dead center between the Vet 30 and Vintage 30. More aggressive than the Vet but smoother than the V30. Dean

candid_x and onetracker like this.
  13. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I like the RWB myself. The ET65 is also good.
    Matter of taste really.

I know Andy Fuch's used RWBs in his amps.

14. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Yes, neither is actually a clone of the Vintage 30, otherwise it would be EXACTLY like it. Both are slightly different than a V30.

15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I have an Omega modified Hot Rod Deluxe (half way between a Dumble and vintage Plexi overdrive, with an AB763 blackface Fender type response and tone on the clean side) and the ET65 in it sounds great.

Have also tried and had great luck with an original British V30, Eminence C.Rex and WGS Vet 30.

16. standingzero

standingzero Member

That sounds like a ridiculously incredible amp!

17. clintb

clintb Member

Originally they had the Veteran 30 and they used to pitch it as a replacement for a Celestion Vintage 30. It's like a Celestion Vintage 30 without as much upper midrange spike and with smoother highs.

Some said the Veteran 30 was too dark. So they released the Retro 30 which is brighter than the Veteran 30. Reportedly the Retro 30 actually sounds more like a Celestion Vintage 30 than the Veteran 30 ever did.

18. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

For that high-gain-without-sounding-annoying tone, or modern fusion stuff, it works extremely well. I use it for everything from Allmans to Little Feat to Steely Dan.

For old-school, power tube overdrive, I use the clean channel with the footswitchable midrange boost and preamp boost engaged in medium-to-larger venues. For that sound in smaller venues, I recently grabbed a '74 Deluxe Reverb that knocks it out of the park just by cranking the amp. Have tried the DR with both the C.Rex and G12H30, and can't decide which I like best. I need to try it with the ET-65 next to further confuse things...

19. standingzero

standingzero Member

Keep us posted on that! I'm looking at that speaker myself.

20. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

The ET-65 is my favorite 12'' speaker in my BFDR. I also have a baffle board loaded with two 10'' (Eminence 1030s).
    I've used most of the highly recommended speakers in the DR, but find the ET-65 to be my favorite.

candid_x likes this.