WGS ET90/BL80 blend!!!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I have been talking to some cabinet builders who love WGS speakers and both highly recommended the WGS ET90 and BL80 pairing. Anyone tried this set???

Thanks!

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
I have been talking to some cabinet builders who love WGS speakers and both highly recommended the WGS ET90 and BL80 pairing. Anyone tried this set???

Thanks!

No but some friends tested an ET90 and WGS Retro 30 and said it was mind blowing!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
from what ive read the et90 and et65 are two completely different beasts.

When I talked to Vaughn at WGS, he said it is the basic ET65 voicing with a less forgiving feel, more headroom, due to the higher db and wattage ratings, also maybe a slightly beefier tone? I would rather mix the ET90 with a British Lead 90.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shapeshifter

When I talked to Vaughn at WGS, he said it is the basic ET65 voicing with a less forgiving feel, due to the higher db and wattage ratings, also maybe a slightly beefier tone? I would rather mix the ET90 with a British Lead 90.

Thanks!
I had the ET65 and now the ET90. They are not different beasts, the ET90 has extended highs and bass.
I do not know the BL 90, but could imagine the ET90 could be too much in a 2x12 setting. Ask Vaughn, he knows!

lunchie

I had a ET90 that I tried with a few different amps and I ended up giving it away with an amp I sold. It was ear piercingly bright. The one thing it had going for it was the headroom.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I had the ET65 and now the ET90. They are not different beasts, the ET90 has extended highs and bass.
I do not know the BL 90, but could imagine the ET90 could be too much in a 2x12 setting. Ask Vaughn, he knows!

I do not like extended highs and lows, and the BL80, just like the CL80 is soo neutral and clear. I think I will stick with the Retro30/ET65 pair.

By the way, the ET65/Retro30 replaced my Celestion G12K-100s.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
I have to get into my friend's studio but he says the ET65 and ET90 sound almost identical so I guess I am fine with the ET65/Retro 30!
The ET90 has a lot more headroom.
I don't think it's overly bright, but I play a Mesa Mark V-a somewhat dark amp.
I had an ET65 with a Retro 30, but when I started using Ch 1 as a 100 watt clean pedal platform I wanted more headroom.
The ET90 fit the bill like a glove.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
ET90 I would prefer in a 212 than a 412. In a 412, I prefer lower db and lower wattage speakiers.

voojo

I've thought about having two 2x12 cabs built, one "American" style and one "British."

For the American I settled on 2 G12Cs, and for the British after trying different speakers I plan on going with ET90/Retro 30.

They have the same DB rating so they should be a great pair. I currently have them both in 1x12s and have ran them together. I think they make a great pair.

I've dabbled with tons of speakers and just have a great preference for WGS. (No affiliation.)

CitizenCain

I've got an ET90/Retro 30 set coming for a JCM800-style build I just finished. After some email discussion with Dean, I settled on this set over the ET65/Veteran 30 I originally contemplated. Should be a very similar sound but "bigger", with a more solid bass.

Excited! It's my first WGS foray :)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The problem I see it for me is the added bass and treble. I have high gain amps and the thicker mids of the ET65, less headroom, etc...seems to work well for me. I use my amps at low to medium volumes so ET65s work best.

Top Bottom