Wgs G12 C vs Weber Chicago 12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jerk64, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jerk64

Jerk64 Member

Two 'vintage oriented' speakers.
    What differences, in yours opinion?

2. Jerk64

Jerk64 Member

3. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

I guess not too many folks have both speakers and have A/B'd them . . .

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I've not tried the WGS speaker, but I really like a ceramic Chicago in my Vox AC30CC1 - even better than a Celestion Gold (for my taste).

- Thom

5. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

What????Man, you must be a different person than me. Go figure.

6. Timbre Wolf

Even though I ascribe to ultimate non-duality, I can also appreciate the illusion that we're separate individuals.

We're all individuals!
    [​IMG]

:YinYang

- T

7. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    Which makes us all the same...*sigh*...

Ok seriously, I'm curious about the Chicago in an AC15. What does the it do better than the Gold for your tastes?

8. Timbre Wolf

AC30CC1

Tighter lows, highs not overbearingly bright, less breakup for cleaner cleans. I don't know - I just seem to prefer it. I was surprised at how much I liked the Chicago in that amp.

- T

p.s. I'm not the same.

9. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

Humor doesn't translate well over the internet, and my brand of humor doesn't always translate in person. I should know better. I was only kidding about "the same" and truly didn't mean anything by it.

If I understand correctly, the Chicago is Weber's take on the Jensen C12N, is that right? Do you mean that the highs are less prevalent, or just less "harsh" than from the Gold? That's interesting anyway; I wouldn't have thought of using an American style speaker in an AC30. I just bought a couple of speakers to use with an incoming AC30, a Celestion Vintage 30 and a WGS Green Beret. I certainly appreciate the same attributes you describe in the Chicago, however. That might be a fun substitution to make if I end up dissatisfied with the speakers I bought.

10. GuitarSmitty

GuitarSmitty Member

Hooked up to an AB763-based amp, I found the G12C to be less dark, with the Chicago catching up some after a longer break-in period. I ended up with a Weber Michigan for a little more high-end clarity than either of those. I found them all to be really good speakers, and I hope to use all of them; pairing them with the right pickups and tubes was essential to getting the tone I was after.

11. Onioner

Onioner Member

I've oddly found that, very generally speaking, I like British speakers with American amps, and American speakers with British amps. Not really as a rule or anything, but more than a few times I've found my pairing to cross the Atlantic.

Edit: Blackface with Greenback types. Mmm...

12. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

More like a higher power version of the lesser known C12K w. a 2" VC - as is the WGC G12C, btw, which to me from what I could ascertain from clips online is slightly smoother and thicker sounding. The cones of the two speakers are very different in design so I think a lot of the differences are right there.

The Jensen style cones seem to have something of a dip at 2kHz, which is one of those frequencies our ears are particularly sensitive to, whereas the Blue, V30 and vintage Vox alnicos have something of a spike in this region. The Jensen style ones' onset of roll-off occurs a bit earlier too, and that may be what we're hearing.

13. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

It's funny you should say that, I have a blackface bassman converted to a 2x10 combo with 10" Celestion Greenbacks. I do not have any desire to experiment with other speakers-the Greenbacks are perfect in that amp. And still, I never considered an American speaker in any of my "British" amps.

14. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

Interesting. I will definitely refer back to this if I am not happy with the speakers I picked up to pair with a Vox AC30. I am really curious about these now.

15. Onioner

Onioner Member

It's nowhere near as extreme, but I've enjoyed using some of Weber's Vintage series w/ a Britishish preamp gain style amp. Probably to forward, and aggressive, for everyday use, but pretty nifty when used with some chunky gain. Granted, this is a low wattage thing. I've never messed around with higher wattage Marshallesque type amps.

But, yeah, I searched for a while to find a speaker I liked w/ BF amps. Never would have expected it, but there it is.

16. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

FYI: WGS G12C is a 1.5" voice coil, not 2". I asked the folks at WGS about this.