WGS G12C: midrange spike?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bucksears, Feb 20, 2018.

1. MHG

MHG Member

Is your G12C well broken in? As I already mentioned, I also felt that the G12C was a bit harsh and unforgiving before it was properly broken in. I initially thought I'd fully broken them in and had given up on them........thinking they just weren't my cup of tea. I eventually reloaded them in a cab and gave the break-in process one more shot, and that did it. I've found that the mids have become more relaxed, and the highs less harsh and much sweeter. All the frequencies seem to have settled so to speak, resulting in the G12C's clarity being the most obvious difference between the two (G12C/GA-SC64). That's not to say that they're identical, but their differences weren't night and day as they would have been had the G12C been brand new.

What amp are you using it with? The amp, guitar, pickups etc, will all play a huge role in what we hear and feel. I've used the G12C with a Princeton clone, and when paired with that amp, the tone and feel of the 12C was totally different. I would have described this same speaker totally differently had I only tried it with the Princeton......like a totally different speaker. I actually preferred it with the Princeton btw. Perhaps with a Deluxe style amp, the highs would be too much of a good thing......though I haven't tried that pairing. So the fact that we're all likely using different amps will definitely lead to some differences in members' impressions/descriptions of the same speaker.

2. theGhost

theGhost Supporting Member

I just came in here to say that if you want something that pairs amazing with the Peavey Classic 30, look no further than the G12H30. Used that pairing for years and loved it. They say it's best to use a speaker rated higher than the amp, which is probably for the best, but I had it real loud sometimes but never blew it, so there's that! Tight low end, crunchy midrange, articulate top that wasn't too bright for me, yes, even with my strat. You could look at some other H-type, too, I'm sure.

3. MHG

MHG Member

If you like the characteristics of a felt dust cap, the G12C/S should definitely be considered, as it also has a felt dust cap. I prefer it over the GA-SC64 as well.

4. TexMax

TexMax Supporting Member

I ran the G12C in my '68 Bandmaster Reverb re-housed as a 1x12 combo. I thought it sounded fairly awful straight out of the box, and although it did mellow slightly in the highs after some break in, I never liked it's basic tone or feel. The GA was the opposite - very good sounding right out the box and has remained that way, although it is not my end-all, be-all speaker and I do wish it were slightly brighter with more bite.
    My experience with speakers over the last 30 years is that if they aren't in your tonal 'ballpark' straight out of the box, they never will be, even with extensive break in.
    I still have the 4ohm G12C sitting in a box if you or some one else would like to buy it off me.

northfortyrecords and Bucksears like this.
  5. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

Thank you - I feel the same way. The only 12's that have felt 'within range' with my SRRI right out of the box have been the Weber 12F150-T pair, and the WGS Retro 30/ET-65 combo.

6. MHG

MHG Member

Yeah, I used to think break-in wouldn't change my opinion of a speaker I didn't like right out of the box as well. But I've recently realized that break-in is everything, and that I should never judge a speaker right out of the box. Some of my favorite speakers required extensive break-in before becoming one of my "favorites"........especially the WGS G12C and C/S.

I think a good percentage of people give up on these before they're truly broken in, as I feel they take longer than others for some reason. I had initially been breaking them in with my Super clone, but it really wasn't pushing them hard enough. The shift in tone and feel happened when I switched over to the Blackface Bassman style amp which was able to push them much harder.

But in the end, we're not all going to like the same things.....which is a good thing. We all have different preferences. I personally like clear, articulate highs. Some people prefer speakers that are warmer like the ET65 with their Blackface style amps, which is one of my least favorite speakers for these amps. There is no best.......just what's best for you.

silver surfer likes this.
  7. MHG

MHG Member

I just went back and forth between the G12C and GA-SC64 just to make sure I was remembering things correctly, and I still feel the same way. Their midrange and overall feel is very similar. That woody midrange is definitely present in both of them, but the GA is just very muffled, less lively, and not as open sounding compared to the G12C. The G12C is just so much better imo. I'll be removing the GA from its cab.

For those who feel the GA-SC64 is a bit too warm and smooth, you may like the GA10-SC64, as they're very different speakers. I love the GA10 4x10 cab I have. Another Eminence speaker also worth considering is the Carr Elsinore. I have them in a Pine diagonal 2x12. It's a really nice speaker, and is basically what I'd hoped the GA had been. It has a really nice, relaxed midrange. The Elsinore and GA10 are my go to Eminence speakers for my Blackface amps.

8. TexMax

TexMax Supporting Member

Interesting. I may pull out the G12C and slap it in my 1x12 extension cab and see what happens. I have been considering the idea of doing a 2x10 Vibrolux with GA10s with my BMR, but that would also mean buying more speakers and a new baffle, so I hesitate. I am a hot-rodder by nature and also toying with the idea of trying some different dust caps in my 12” GA - that’s probably the most likely scenario right now.

MHG likes this.
  9. northfortyrecords

northfortyrecords Supporting Member

Great analogy! Those tools (pedal/speaker) affect the sound waves we hear in similar fashions, for sure. I often mentalize the same comparisons with preamp/power tubes and speakers. Some compress more, some snap more...

Absolutely me too. I have never disliked at speaker in new condition and then later liked it after break-in of any sort. I know my tastes well enough to determine if the speaker is in the ballpark right out of the box. Break-in only sweetens and softens and settles (and by all means it's essential to love a speaker), it doesn't change the EQ in my opinion. But I totally agree with MHG that it's awesome that we all hear things differently and have different tastes!

TexMax likes this.
  10. TexMax

TexMax Supporting Member

Interesting. As a matter of curiosity, what's your favorite new production 6L6?