WGS green beret review

MrTAteMyBalls

Hi folks, in searching for a new speaker it was a bit of effort to find reviews, so hopefully this will help out anyone in the same situation. I tested with a dr z z-28, and a warmoth strat with single coils and humbuckers...variety of pedals.

I just got a used WGS green beret 8 Ohm to replace the celestion black shadow 90 that was stock in my mesa 1x12 widebody 3/4 back cab. I don't have a real celestion greenback, so that comparison will be beyond the scope of this review.

The celestion black shadow has a huge amount of low end thump, and great top end clarity but not much personality or complexity in the mids and takes a good amount of volume to open it up. It doesn't seem to have any level of speaker breakup, and is just a bit sterile in general....which I find to be an advantage for any kind of heavy music. The top end can get a bit hurty if you aren't careful. It's great for heavy rock tones, but I didn't enjoy it when I tried to get more vintage tones, which is 80% of what I play.

The WGS solves all of these problems for me. It seems well broken in, so I'm not sure what a brand new one would sound like. Anyways, the WGS has less low end, but what is there is solid, smooth, and creamy....not woofy at all. There is plenty of low end on tap, so I don't feel it lacks in this department but I wouldn't say it has a big bottom end. The midrange content has a lot of character, and brought in what I felt was missing from my tone. It's a more "chewy" mid forward sound, that I think will sit just right in the mix in a band setting. The top end is slightly chimey, with just the right amount of treble. It's not harsh at all, and offers plenty of bite for leads, and clarity for chord work.

Overall, the mid and top end are fairly complex and I feel this speaker added a lot of character to my tone. With this speaker, I was able to pull the gain back on my tonebone hot british from 50% to about 30%, and it is just as fat as the sound I had before with the celestion black shadow. I don't think I'll miss the big bottom end of the black shadow speaker, but i'll keep it around just in case I need to get super heavy at some point.

If anyone is interested, I'll report back after the holidays when my band is rehearsing again.

Demo

I'm extremely interested in hearing more.

My favorite amp builder in the business is trying to push me into WGS, which is a huge leap of faith for me, except trusting him is not. He would explain that so much of Gibson (C/S) and Celestion (Heratiage/Blue - Brit Made) are so loaded with Chinese parts they might as well be made there. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't? I don't want to do that discussion here. I DO want to hear about other guys (generic) experiences with with WGS Speakers in applications directed at achieving the classic Marshall/Celestion vibe.

If there IS somebody out there doing the classic g12h30's, m25's, V-30's, I not only don't care who's name is on it, but if it's made in America - EVEN BETTER! I actually have a brand new pair of "Green Berets" that came in an Avitar Cab that, without even listening to them (I didn't have the amp head when I found the cab), I removed and replaced with old greenbacks. HOWEVER, I need a 4x12" so I've VERY interested in hearing your impressions.

Before somebody asks, I can't put them back in the cab and listen for myself right now - I'm on the road.

spaceman_spiff

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the review Balls. I've been contemplating replacing the Celestion V30s in my Blackstar Artisan 30 with Green Berets for more complex mids. If anyone has done the side by side with WGS Green Berets and Chinese and/or UK Celestion GBs, please chime in.

Cheers,
Carl

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Great review, pretty much spot on what I found when I had a pair of WGS green Berets that came in a used Marshall 2556A 212 cab I bought. I also agree about the MC90's, while I love the MC90's with more modern amps and modern tones, for vintage amps and tones they leave a lot to be desired. Since I was planning to use the Marshall cab I bought with my Marshall 2553 for hard rock, I ended up with WGS ET-65's. However the Green Berets were great, they were my first 'greenback' speaker, but they had a tone that was instantly recognizable.

Bikedude

What MrTatemyballs said!! I just put a green beret in my Avatar Vintage yesterday, and it does what he said. Crunches up at a lower volume, and adds "character" to my tone. Kinda lets you dig in and grab a handfull of hair at a comfortable volume level. This WGS GB replaced an English CBlue! My Dr. Z Carmen Ghia Head is providing the sound to the speaker.

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
I have a quad of them in an old Ampeg V4 cab. I rarely play the cab, so they're not fully broken in. They sound great for a smokey marshall crunch.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I played Celestions for many years..V30's, Greenbacks, G12H30's, 65's ,80's.......After all is said and done, the WGS and Scumback models of these speakers are actually better sounding than the originals...The Eminence Lynch Super V is another great sounding higher powered greenback

johnzias

Just put a WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30 in my JCM800 2X12 combo. I'll just say that I am very happy.

Nathan

I have a WGS Green Beret in a open 1 x 12 cab. I bought it mainly for my 6V6 Plexi and if that didn't work so hot, the AST clone I built. Now that shouldn't give me too much of an authentic Marshall flavor except that I had a RI Jensen C12N in that amp that sounded incredible when cranked. I told myself that a more Marshall-flavored speaker ought to do wonders. The GB has a lot of great reviews, and I grabbed one off ebay with the green basket and only about 10-20 hours on it. The overall tone I hear is top-heavy. Not shrill but definitely bright. The mids are present but not overpowering/honky, bass is somewhat lacking (duh). I know this is an open 1 x 12, I'm not stupid except that the C12N (a mediocre speaker) sounded so surprisingly good in this setting. I also tried a Texas Heat and a Fane AXA12 (which was the best). So long story longer, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the GB at the moment. It doesn't really work so hot with my blackface style Allen amp, Ghia clone, AST clone, or tweed princeton clone. It does fit best with the 6V6 plexi, followed by the AST clone. I'm not getting rid of it, but it may be that a 1 x 12 is not the best use of the Green Beret or the open back cab. No doubt it would kick serious butt in a 4 x 12 however! I intend to compare it to the UK G12M at church some day, but I often wonder if the Mojo BV25M would be any different? It's used in the Swart AST's which sound phenomenal. Anyway that's my 2 cents...

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
^ I think you are mainly finding that Greenback type speakers do better in closed back cabs. The Green Berets did lack bass compared to other speakers I have tried, but that was okay, since the cab I used was closed back. I recently tried to put 2 Celestion Anni G12H30's in a closed back cab and the bass was just too much. So back they went to a 212 opened back cab.

I also see alot of good things about at least 2 greenback type speakers and mainly with people using 4 greenback style speakers in a 412 closed back cab....

tnt365

Really helpful actually. I have a closed back cab with V30s and it is really bassy, I was wondering if the greenback/green beret would do better in a closed back; question answered. Thanks guys!

Tompski

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone here used the 10" Green beret speakers? I have a Vibrolux reverb clone which has currently got a WGS G10c and a weber 1oF150.

I think the two WGS might make a nice mix.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom