WGS speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BluntForceTrauma, Jun 14, 2019.

1. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

So I was looking on Musicians Friend at some WGS speakers and I noticed that the prices of these has really skyrocketed. What used to be $69 is now $109. When did this occur? Guess I'll stick with my Eminence Legends.

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

That said, they are very popular these days and will get the asking price. Yes, they went from a low cost alternative to a recognized brand ... and the price followed.

IIR, they started as an OEM and eventually moved to the sales channel ... selling to the public through distribution.

You are talking about their channel market, not sure if their pricing changed for OEMs. Maybe a builder could chime in.

3. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

They were the go to reasonable and like them...the ledgend,ect series is that market now it seems...dr z speakers...wouldn't hesitate using em.

4. MHG

MHG Member

You're going to pass on a speaker company simply due to a $100 price tag? WGS's prices are extremely reasonable, and very much in line with the competition. They're just not giving them away anymore. I pay a lot more than that just to go out to dinner.

70 Mach 1, Gig Young, louis and 8 others like this.
  5. Wrldeatr9

Wrldeatr9 Member

Prices of stuff is going up, not just WGS speakers. I was looking at some tubes yesterday, price had gone up $2 per tube recently.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Peppy likes this.
  6. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Actually I wasn't gonna buy a WGS speaker. I'm quite happy with the Eminence GB128s and Celestion Greenbacks I'm using. I was just perusing Musicians Friend online and saw them. Last time I saw the WGS speakers they were more affordable. But if I was going to pay $109 for a WGS Green Beret I would just buy a Celestion Greenback for $125. Also I have a feeling that one of the reasons WGS got to be so popular because they were cheaper. Not any more.

bman5150us likes this.
  7. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Much clearer than your original post, and an excellent point.

8. MHG

MHG Member

WGS speakers are so poplular because they're amazing speakers. Yes, lower prices is how you get your foot in the door, but you have to bring the prices up eventually. They're not a huge company like Eminence. And yes, if the Greenback and the Green Beret are identical, or you like the Greenback better, it would make sense to go with the Celestion. But if you prefer the tone and feel of the Green Beret, that $15 difference isn't a big deal.

WGS isn't making straight up clones. There are some differences between Celestions and WGS's versions of their speakers. I love both companies, but I prefer the ET65 to the G1265. I also prefer the Black & Blue to the Blue. WGS's American speakers are amazing as well. The best imo. So don't let minor price differences dictate which speakers you choose.

aynirar27 and Glitch Magnet like this.
  9. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I like the idea that WGS and Eminence assemble the speakers in this country.

If they make a product that I like as well or better than Celestion, I'd like to get the American made product.

I like to avoid Chinese made products when I can, because I don't like the idea of their much lower wages eventually undermining wages here.

I really like to avoid Chinese made Celestion speakers because its a low wage product at a premium price.

WGS do their (American style) speakers a bit differently than Eminence. BTW, it looks like some of the Eminence prices have been moving up also.

10. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

WGS are really, really decent speakers. And I think they fit much better for the millions of us, that don´t play THAT loud on stage and at their rehearsals anymore.
    I love Celestions at least as much, when I can crank my amp. But where can I?
    WGS are doing a better job at lower volumes compared to many contenders. That´s a big plus compared to "IF I COULD crank my amp, it´d sound EVEN BETTER with my old Celestions, but...".

Their american line is really great and I prefer them over the Eminence I had (not that many), not only because Eminence are often unbearable loud for my needs, but I find the WGS a bit less straight forward and a tad more complex and sophisticated sounding. I also like Jensens, but honestly, my WGS G12A is getting more playing time than my Jensen BlackBird. And the Blackbird is a helluva speaker.

saltbird and ProfRhino like this.
  11. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

somehow I happened to end up with lots of different British style WGS speakers over time, and I'm happy with every single one of them.
    most recent is a pair of ET-90s put in a D-style 212 with toilet seat back - totally amazing, think Celestion vibe with EV solidness and authority. :bow
    all WGS speakers I have owned had one thing in common - new they are nothing special, too bright.
    But after a few weeks of playing them loud they really find their voice, and then they remain constant and are a joy to play.
    all ime, ymmv,
    Rhino

zwiefldraader likes this.
  12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Mcdonald's prices are also on the rise, lol:D:D:p

MHG likes this.
  13. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

I won't like that. :FM
    lol,
    Rhino

macmax77 likes this.
  14. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Went through the Reaper, Reaper55, ET65 and the B'n'B of the British line. Of that bunch I liked the ET best. Having its own, slightly more american accent compared to Celestions G12-65. For having Pre-Rola G12H Celestions, the comparison probably wasn't fair, but the WGS fell short side by side (though being decent on their own).
    But I read tempting things about the Invader 50, which I might give a shot some day. Probably after the G12C/S, which misses in my "American Collection".

ProfRhino likes this.
  15. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

yeah, my personal benchmark are Pulsonic H30 & 55 as well (in newer 412 cabs though, but matched quads), plus a phenomenal '75 Blackback M25 1960 (unmarked cones, I believe them to be leftover Pulsonics, they look nothing like Muellers).
    true, in direct comparison the WGS equivalents don't quite make it, but still way closer than any Celestion RIs I've ever heard.
    Other than both ETs, which are among the very best speakers in my little stable, I particularly like the Blackhawk 50 (aka "Gold") and Blackhawk HP (aka "SRO").
    no experience with the Invader, but I do have a Liberator.
    good speaker, but I like the ET-65 better, which it is based on.
    They went for more mids with the Liberator - the later ET-90 focusing on headroom and "bigness" instead is more up my alley.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

please post about your experience with the Invader, if you get one !

16. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Well, there are coupons on the McDonalds app...

Maybe WGS will have an app with coupons.

:rolleyes:

macmax77 likes this.
  17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I don't eat that poo poo

18. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

$109 now? I remember when they first hit the scene and for a few weeks, they were priced at $20. Then, they quickly doubled to $40 and while that was still a hell of a deal, people were disappointed they doubled in price.

19. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member