WHACKY! Has anyone ever succesfully split (cut) a cabinet....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dmczern, Feb 16, 2009.

1. dmczern

dmczern Member

in two, particulary a 2 x 12 and have been soncially happy with how it turned out??? Strange, yes I know.....

2. m@2

m@2 Member

actually, i have! it was a 70's 2X15 fender cab. I cut it down into two seperate 1X15 cabs years ago, and was happy with the results. Basically I just sawed it in half, cut decent quality plywood to fill the empty side, added matching harware as needed, retolexed/grill cloth'd it, and was done.. I don't have them anymore, but i gigged with them many times, and it sure made moving it around easier at the time. in doing so, it destroyed any chance of decent resale, so it's not something i would probably replicate with a vintage cab.

3. dmczern

dmczern Member

Cooooool story! Anyone else??

4. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I did a 4x12 marshall cabinet into 2-2x12s..one open back and one closed with a divider and custom made back panel. It was still a 4x12 but I wired it for 2x12 open /2x12 closed separately or 4x12 mono..Sounds great but the extra lumber has made it much heavier..but its worth dragging it to gigs for the options you have in one cab and one room etc.

5. dmczern

dmczern Member