Whammy 5 Or Drop For Down Tuning?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ElBaconi, May 18, 2015.

1. ElBaconi

ElBaconi Member

Hi Folks,

Was planning on buying a Digitech Drop for down tuning purposes, but have noticed I can get a Whammy 5 for not a lot extra $. Is the Whammy 5 worth the extra admission price? Is it the same functionally for drop tuning purposes?

I've stayed away from Whammy's, never used one and only ever seen widdly widdly demos on Youtube, which is not my bag at all. Am I missing out? Is there more to the WH5 then that?

Should note I play 80% clean and 20% brutality

2. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Because the price difference is so little, I would say yes, although it will depend on you how much you play with the extra features. Most players still find a lot of use with the octave up and down harmonies. The detune makes for an excellent chorus, and it is fun to play with the other harmony options. The octave up is also a lot of fun for "Marooned" type sounds, or just leaving it up for sound effects. Need to lay down a bass track and don't have one handy? The Whammy can help you do that as well. Really it does a lot if you explore it, and is totally worth the price, new or used.

3. ElBaconi

ElBaconi Member

Wow, you are doing a good job of up selling me *L*. My main concern is how the drop tuning varies between the 2 pedals. I've been told it's the same algorithm etc, but in actual practise any idea if the WH5 handles it as well as the drop?

4. snouter

snouter Member

Can't imagine a digital effect delivering any kind of usable drop tuning. Even if it sounded good, the guitar against your body will tell what the real tuning is and will not sound right.

5. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I have a Drop and its easily the best purchase I have made in awhile. I don't think you can go wrong with either product.

6. Silver

Silver Member

I was all set to vehemently disagree, but after some thought I'll admit it weirds me out occasionally. An intruiging side subject, either way.

7. DarthVanHollis

DarthVanHollis Member

I have the Whammy DT and I love it. One less guitar to worry about having to take to practice, less strings to purchase, it goes down and UP (the drop only goes down) and has the regular Whammy functions. It is big and needs it's own power supply but it sounds great. I used it at a gig and no one noticed, not the band, not the audience, and I was more impressed than have been even in practice. Sometimes there seems to be latency and sometimes there isn't. I don't know why that is but it is so damn convenient I don't care anymore.

I have owned several Whammy's over the years and I always got rid of them because I was only using them on one or two songs. With the DT there are so many other options, I use it for octave up and octave down (because it mixes with the dry signal on the Drop side). So for me I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.