Whammy or other polyphonic pitch shifting pedals

tochiro

Hi,

I'm looking for a pedal to add octave sounds to chords. A pedal that can mix between the clean sound and the shifted sound and that is really polyphonic so that I can play entire 6-string chords with it and it tracks well. What would you recommend below $250?

Thank you for your advice.

JSteed

Micro Pog. Best digital (ie, properly polyphonic) octave up I've tried outside of the original POG (which is more expensive, way bigger and a pain to power). Bonus is it also has a really killer octave down should the need arise!

StepAudio

This. Everything else sounds too much like an organ to my ears.
The Whammy 5 is a big jump in tracking quality from the 4 (using Chords rather than Classic mode). The DT and Bass Whammy also sound as good as the 5 (I have all 4).

I actually use the Bass Whammy on my guitar pedalboard because I like the intervals better.

.:. Bill

tochiro

Whammy 5 seems the way to go. It does not seem to have a blend function, am I wrong? Do you think you could somehow imitate a 12-string guitar with it even if it's not its primary function?

tochiro

What about the latency with the Whammy. I read various comments... WHat's your experience?

celticelk

For comparison purposes, look also at the EHX Ring Thing, which does polyphonic pitch shifting.

Twinattack

Whammy 5 seems the way to go. It does not seem to have a blend function, am I wrong? Do you think you could somehow imitate a 12-string guitar with it even if it's not its primary function?
A blend feature would be great. I think there's actually a thread about that. As far as 12-string sounds, it does a pretty decent job at it. I was actually playing around with that last night and had some fun. Strumming open chords tracks really well.

Gumbygreeneye

I haven't noticed any latency with the Whammy DT.

I should also point out that the Molten Voltage really opened up the flexibility of my DT with my GigRig G2. Thanks Bill.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
A real 12 string is unison on the high B and E strings, so the Whammy won't perfectly emulate it but certainly can capture that vibe.

What about the latency with the Whammy. I read various comments... WHat's your experience?
There is a very, very small amount of latency, but it's physically impossible to do pitch shifting with no latency as the pitch must be detected before the pitch shift can be generated. I can't imagine anyone having any issues with the latency. Go try it out in a store. It's an incredibly cool pedal.

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Silver Supporting Member
For comparison purposes, look also at the EHX Ring Thing, which does polyphonic pitch shifting.

As much as I like the Ring Thing for ring mod and other weird modulation (it's been on my board for years), I don't like the pitch-shifting aspect of it. A lot of latency and the shifted tone never sounded that good to me.

ZepFuzz05

I've played/owned all of the Whammy models (excluding the WH-1), multiple EHX HOGs, a big-box POG, Mooer Pitch Box, Digitech Timebender (which can function as a pitch shifter), etc. and the EHX Ring Thing is more versatile and tracks better than any of them. I say more versatile since it can do any interval between -2 and +2 octaves, has a mix control, the option for an expression pedal, and can have 3 different types of modulation applied to the pitch-shifted signal. On top of that, it's also a great tremolo, univibe, and, of course, ring-mod (with instant auto-tuning capabilities. . .which nothing else does).

I'd look into it - it's a crazy good unit. And, FYI, I got mine minty with box and power for $150.

bobbradley

I love the whammy v but I feel like it adds a bit of brightness when turned off. Also it's large. Micro pog.

Trending Topics