Whammy + Tone Suck

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ice Monster, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Hello,

I'm currently bidding on a Whammy IV reissue and I've been reading around to understand them. One problem I keep seeing is the mention of tone suck.
    From what I understand, the pedal withdraws some treble from the top of your signal?

I was wondering, is this really a problem when you're playing generally fairly loud at a gig? Couldn't you compensate by turning the treble on the amp a tad?

If it still is an issue, I was looking into Napalm Blender pedals to mix the wet and dry tone. This sounds quite interesting, however I already have the "octo" effect provided by my Line 6 Reverb, but I really like the "glitch" sound of the Whammy!

Does the Napalm Blender act as a bypass loop to take the Whammy out of the chain?

Also, what if I ran my Whammy into the effects loop, would that reduce tone suck or make it worse?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

My guitarist uses a WHammy 4 in his chain. No FX loop, no tone suck.

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

If you get it and notice tone suck, turn up the treble a tad as you mentioned. If you don't notice tone suck, don't worry about it. Simple. Don't let fears of a slight treble drop scare you from making music the way you want to.

4. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Joe Satriani uses a Whammy IV in his chain and he doesn't have any problems.

5. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Awesome. Good to know!

I've just recently upgraded to a 1994 Twin Reverb and I love the sparkly cleans it has! I wanna keep it that way.

Any comments on the Napalm Blender pedal?

Also, Bartimaeus, very nice pedals. Radiohead fan?

6. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Its not just tone suck, the buffer makes other pedals act funny too. JS plays with so much gain whatever he puts in his pedal board is irrelevant. I wish they would re-issue the whammy 1. This is a pedal that should be true bypass.

7. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

It does shave some sparkle in line. Just use a true bypass looper if it bugs you. There is a bass cut in some of the whammy modes but you can't do anything with that. Nice pedal to mess around.

8. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

I've owned and used quite a few Whammy units (everything from the XP-100 Whammy/Wah, Whammy II, and Whammy IV to the Digitech EX-7), and the only unit that ever gave me buffer weirdness was the last one I mentioned. The EX-7 changed the character of the EHX Big Muff that I kept in the chain after it. . .however it changed it for the better, giving it a high-midrange cut and clarity that the Muff desperately needed.

Apart from that single instance, I've always found the Whammy series to be pretty decent as far as bypass goes, contrary to a lot of claims.

9. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Hmm. So ultimately, does it drastically alter your tone? I play in a indie rock/shoegaze band, primarily with my Jazzmaster, so my sound cuts through the mix pretty well in most situations.

Truebypass Loops. How do they work?

10. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I dont notice allot of suck but I actually keep mine in my amp effects loop so its buffered.... Now when it is "on" thats a different story.... every once and a while I'll leave it cocked back (so pitch is correct) and forget to turn it off.... sometime later it will occur to me somethings "wrong" with my tone..... and notice DOH! forgot to turn the Whammy off :bonk

11. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

When I use my wh4, I throw it in a true bypass loop and remove it from the signal chain. This is essentially a small pedal/switch that has 2 inputs and 2 outputs so the incoming signal can be routed through the whammy when you engage the switch or rerouted to bypass the whammy when you disengage it.

They can be obtained for less than $50, but you will need 2 additional patch cables to wire it up.

12. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

When I had the WH4 the loss of highs drove me nuts. I love the punch and freq response of amp gain, I suppose if you were using pedal gain into a clean amp/channel it might not be a big deal.

I'm not a true bypass nazi or anything but man it was not good (for me).

13. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

Personally, I think the tone suck from the Whammy 4 is horrendous. I like the effect but, to me, it's simply not worth having in the chain. I've considered having it true bypassed because it's obviously worse when bypassed... but even when it's activated it's bad IMO.
    While it's true that Satch uses one and doesn't seem to mind... other players, like Guthrie Govan for example, have stopped even bothering to use it *because* of "tone suck".

14. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

The Whammy IV sounds great when on. If it bugs you in bypass or causes other pedals to act strangely, just get a true bypass looper as others have said. You just leave the Whammy on all the time, and bring it in and out of your chain with an external on/off switch. The only downside is that you'll have extra cables and looper space taking up your board.

15. jwny72

jwny72 Member

There are true bypass alternatives, the Electro-Harmonix Ring Thing being one example.

16. Zillie

Zillie Member

17. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

My Whammy has a true bypass switch done by Molten Voltage.

18. LL1

LL1 Member

whammy drop tune is true bypass and tracks really well

19. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

But it doesn't have the glitchy charm that everyone loves about the regular version.

20. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

And in the context of this thread this statement doesn't strike anyone as being ironic? ;)