• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Whammy V vs Ricochet vs Pitchfork

vintage66

Pitchfork has expression pedal jack, without it does it work like the Ricochet? With the expression pedal and adapter it would likely be the most expensive option.

The Whammy V seems like it does everything the others do but is big and would probably sit in front of my board.

What do I give up with the Ricochet feature wise and how practical is it not having the treadle for Like a Stone, Cool #9 stuff and as a whammy bar?

GMGM

Not as familiar with the Pitchfork, but I have a Whammy 5 and a Ricochet.

RICOCHET

Good: Separate controls for the rise and fall time for the pitch effect.

Bad: The intervals are somewhat limited. You can pitch up/down in 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, octave, 2 octaves only. I wish they hadn't skipped so many useful intervals (should be done in half-step intervals).

Bad: Using the Momentary switch setting means you always have to contend with latency/delay/lag. It would've been nice if a relay could let go of the DSP signal and drop back to analog when you lift off the switch.

WHAMMY 5

Good: I tend to prefer using my foot to adjust the attack and release times.

Bad: It's annoying that they limited the number of available intervals (same as above, plus a handful of additional harmony settings).

Bad: It's not fair to call this a bad thing, but it'd be super cool if the pedal could do smart diatonic harmony rather than fixed intervals.

Bad: Yeah, it's big. DigiTech appears to be coasting now without new product development, so I don't expect them to ever provide a meaningful update to the Whammy. It'd be nice if it fit into a crybaby style enclosure though. Or or or... it'd be nice if the Ricochet could accept an expressino pedal.

--------

If you're looking for whammy alternatives, the new TC Electronics pedals look cool (Brainwaves and/or Quintessence). THey include a "mash" switch that supposedly replaces the need for an expression pedal. I haven't tried either but I'm interested.

The Boss PS-? pedals also have whammy functionality.

My favorite whammy alternatives are the pitch glide effects in Line6 M-series pedals (and also HX/Helix family). Super fast latency, pretty accurate tracking and you can select any interval you want. Those pedals also have other harmony and smart harmony effects.

Riffa

Good thread. I’m still on the fence as to whether I should let me Whammy II go to get a Ricochet. I’d like a smaller pedal, and like the up/down toggle option.

Spider Mark

This is my current pedal dilemma (Meris Hedra arriving today). I have an EQD Pitch Bay which I like isn't quite what I'm after now.

I am tempted by the Pitch Fork - I already have an expression pedal.

vintage66

This is my current pedal dilemma (Meris Hedra arriving today). I have an EQD Pitch Bay which I like isn't quite what I'm after now.

I am tempted by the Pitch Fork - I already have an expression pedal.
I don’t have an exp pedal but I do have at least one other pedal (delay) that I could use it with if it turns out the Pitchfork is the best option.

beexter

I've had the Pitchfork and now have the Ricochet. You can use the Pitchfork for whammy style effects but you need to plug in an expression pedal to set the rate at which the pitch changes. Once done, you can unplug the expression pedal and when you hit the footswitch, it'll remember the speed you set. Obviously, if you want to change the rate, you need to plug the expression pedal in again. Alternatively, just leave an expression pedal connected for real time control.
I found the Pitchfork sounded unbearably fake when used for downtuning and the latency when run 100% wet (needed for downtuning) was too noticeable.
The Ricochet sounds loads better and has minimal latency with easily adjusted rise/fall rates. For my needs, it's much better than the Pitchfork but YMMV.

Spider Mark

I've had the Pitchfork and now have the Ricochet. You can use the Pitchfork for whammy style effects but you need to plug in an expression pedal to set the rate at which the pitch changes. Once done, you can unplug the expression pedal and when you hit the footswitch, it'll remember the speed you set. Obviously, if you want to change the rate, you need to plug the expression pedal in again. Alternatively, just leave an expression pedal connected for real time control.
I found the Pitchfork sounded unbearably fake when used for downtuning and the latency when run 100% wet (needed for downtuning) was too noticeable.
The Ricochet sounds loads better and has minimal latency with easily adjusted rise/fall rates. For my needs, it's much better than the Pitchfork but YMMV.
Thanks for this. I'm looking for downtuning options rather than pitch-shifting harmonies (Hedra, Pitch Bay cover this nicely) and if the Pitch Fork sounds fake it's not really what I am looking for.

The full size Whammy 5 just seems overkill, but may be what I "need". Or perhaps the Whammy-DT with half-steps ...

Trending Topics