• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Whammy WH-1 vs EHX Hog...

magnus02

Title sums it up...

Who's played both? How do they compare in the whammy compartment. It seems I could get either at the price they go fo and I primarly want the highest quality whammy and pitch shifting I can get so which one? Opinions from people who have tried both would be great. I'm not really interested in later digitech versions because I have a rp-12 which has a subpar version which is fun in its own right but I would rather get the real deal....

Fire away!

mistergyro

WH-1 is going to sound like your rp-12..somewhat

very tinny but very cool sounding imo...

I think for the price if you were to get a whammy, go with the 2nd version, pretty much sounds the same, with foot toggle controls..

Never played the HOG so I can't chime in about that

my 2 cent

Tibbonds

I may be wrong here, but I think with the HOG it doesn't shift your entire signal, it sounds on the clips I've heard like the 'whammy' part of the signal kind of runs in parallel with a dry sound.

Never played one though, so I may be wrong.

FWIW the Whammy/Wah (whatever model number that was) is garbage.

if you have your HOG set to unision, +1, and +2, when you use the exp to whammy that, the whole thing will slide up one octave, so you'll have +1, +2, and +3 octaves. you could just play unison to get a clean whammy, but you can't sweep more than 1 octave

the hog sounds more precise, and can do chords, and whole bunch of other stuff the whammy can't do. if by "high quality" you mean clean and glitch free, the HOG is going to be the way to go.

that being said, the whammy 1 is the whammy sound, it's thicker, dirtier, and a little glitchier, but that's why people love it. I regret selling mine! plus the whammy can sweep 2 octaves up or down.

faizz

Bought the HOG to replace my old Digitech IPS-33B (original Whammy algorithm in rack format) and i'm 100% happy.

Digitech is cool (i also owned the whammy II and the crap XP100), but after all these years it started sounding a bit dated/fake/plastic.

The HOG does a wonderful whammy and dozens of other things as well, and to me it's much more inspiring.

Also, the HOG expression pedal response is far better and tracking is way more accurate.

Tonewise they are very different beasts, choice is up to your personal taste.

My .02,
Faizz

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
you could also check out the boss ps-5 super shifter.with the external expression pedal you can do whammy stuff.

EricPeterson

I have not owned either but I have watched several videos of them and I have palyed a Whammy IV. To me it seems like the HOG can do everything a whammy I can do and a ton more, for about the same price. Go with the HOG.

I have not owned either but I have watched several videos of them and I have palyed a Whammy IV. To me it seems like the HOG can do everything a whammy I can do and a ton more, for about the same price. Go with the HOG.
Nah, not quite. The HOG can only whammy up one octave. You can't just shoot up two octaves. You can do 1,2,3 and 4 octaves up but only as a blended sound. So whammy can still do some things the HOG can't. Check out how many people have HOGs on their boards but still hung onto their whammies. It's disappointing the HOG didn't cover everything the whammy does.

SO both have their place.

EricPeterson

Nah, not quite. The HOG can only whammy up one octave. You can't just shoot up two octaves. You can do 1,2,3 and 4 octaves up but only as a blended sound. So whammy can still do some things the HOG can't. Check out how many people have HOGs on their boards but still hung onto their whammies. It's disappointing the HOG didn't cover everything the whammy does.

SO both have their place.

Fair enough. Thanks! :)

this1smyne

i've got a HOG right now on my board, and it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. my whammy's (i've owned 3) never lasted more than a few months at a time. Where there are a few things the HOG can't do that teh whammy can, there are LOTS of things teh HOG can do that the whammy can't.... including take up a bunch more space on your board.... that being said a smaller whammy1 might be sweet to have, but i don't think it touched what the HOG can do in terms of complexity (or practicality w/all the footswitches and stuff... the HOG rocks!).

Trending Topics