Wharfedale vs. Albion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by andycox, Feb 4, 2012.

1. andycox

andycox Member

Does anyone know whether a Wharfedale TCT50C is the same as the Albion equivalent except for the material on the front? Don't like the red but would live with it if the electronics & build were identical.

2. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I have read more than once it's the same amp.

3. andycox

andycox Member

Thanks for that, have found a retailer with one in stock so may go & try it!!

4. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Never heard of an Albion amp. I think it's cool though because I live in a town called Albion.

5. Steve Grindrod

Steve Grindrod Member

Apart from the styling the Wharfedale version and the Albion version have the same construction.
    I did do some tweaking of the sound when I changed the company name to Albion - basically added more gain to the B channel and re-focused the EQ of both channels.

I think you will like the newer Albion version.

Steve

6. andycox

andycox Member

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. Am very impressed, didn't expect to get a response from yourself!! Having tracked down a Wharfedale TCT50C am hoping to try it, although it would be good to compare to the Albion version. Do you know when Albion will be available in UK as I cant find any dealers with them?

7. Steve Grindrod

Steve Grindrod Member

Hi Andy

My pleasure to reply, usually I am too busy to post but I try when I can.

Not sure if I can put the retail info here, or if I have to go to the Builder's and Retailer's Forum. So if this is wrong I apologise now. Albion is officially launched in UK next month you can contact IAGUK in Huntingdon for more accurate info, sometimes living in China leaves me a bit without up to date information at times.

Steve

8. andycox

andycox Member

Thanks again Steve, I'll look out for Albion & best of luck launching the brand.

9. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I've had my Albion TCT-35H for a few months now and really like it,especially through my Celestion G12K-100 loaded Lopo Large Slant 1-12 cab.It's really quite versatile and offers lots of quality clean/overdrive tones.

Ed

10. andycox

andycox Member

Thanks for the feedback, will try an Albion when they're available in the UK.

11. Aly

Aly Member

Is interesting how to change EQ? I would make the middle frequency is slightly higher. When I want to cut through the mix better, mid control at Wharfedale tct35c does not help me - it regulates a slightly lower frequency than I need and adds warmth. All in all a great and versatile amp.
    I also interesting what tubes do you recommend for tсt35с ?

12. AlexF

AlexF Member

Well I bought a TCT35 several months ago. I'd never heard of Albion, but saw Steve's name as designer, and since he designed many of my favourite ever amps, I just had to dive in when the TCT came up for sale cheap. Over the months, I never cease to be amazed by the shear quality of sounds coming out of this thing. Rock, blues, jazz, country, this eats them all. Home, studio, stage, perfect. Total control over tone and gain types. Truly astonishing for this money. Right up at the top of amps I've ever owned (hundreds, mostly 'vintage'). The only amp I've ever owned that can truly capture vintage type of breakup at house levels. I think I read Steve say his goal was to produce an amp of the highest quality affordable to all. Mission truly accomplished mate, and many many thanks, you've made one old git very happy here. Cant wait to try a TCT50 if I can find one...
    Alex