what 1x12 mesa cab do you prefer for your Mesa Mark V 25?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JJCrowe, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

And your thiele is the wide body closed back ported 1x12? C90 or v30?

How much better are the cleans on the thiele versus the 2x12 recto?

I'm also interested in the overdrive flavor each can produces during channel 2's overdrive sounds?

2. Abandoned

What's different about the old ones?

3. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

1x12 Recto cab is 3" deeper than the 1x12 Mini Rectifier cab.

4. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

I would recommend investing at least as much time in researching the type of speaker you use vs the construction of the cab.

5. somedude

somedude Member

The thiele has had C90, V30 and G12M-25 speakers in it. It's currently loaded with a V30.

The cleans aren't better on the Thiele than the Recto 2x12.

The thiele is my least favourite cab. It sounds congested in the midrange and the bass can be muffled. I figure this is because you're hearing the sound from two separate sources (direct off the cone and through the port). At times it sounds like my low E is being fired down a hollow tube. I've heard it can be a pain in the ass to mic because of the port, but I've never tried it myself.

Compared to the thiele the Recto 2x12 sounds clearer and more articulate. The bottom end extends significantly deeper (it's like the cab is tuned an octave lower) and it has a more detailed and cutting top end.

The thiele sounds great if you can put some distance between you and it... but if you're able to stand 20 feet out from the thiele you can also stand 20 feet out from the 2x12... and in that case the 2x12 is still the better cab.

With regards to the vertical 2x12, I can't offer an opinion of the sound but IMO the main advantage to the vertical 2x12 is that the top speaker is angled up, making it easier to hear up close than the horizontal cab, which is busy blasting away at your feet. The disadvantage to the vertical 2x12 is that it's not that much smaller than the 4x12. You can carry the horizontal cab in 1 hand.

When using the horizontal 2x12 I compensate for the speaker angle by leaving the front casters on. It angles the whole cab up enough that I can hear it better yet it isn't steep enough for the head to slide off.

The Recto 1x12 is deeper than the Mini-Recto 1x12. It also has the Mesa badge up in the corner so it doesn't get in the way when mic'ing the cab.

6. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Added the second Cab - really opened things up! :D
    [​IMG]

ducmike likes this.
  7. Abandoned

Thank you!

8. jpage

jpage Member

The Thiele is designed around the EV12L speaker--I've heard the Mesa 'Thiele' w/a C90 and I agree with your description. When you get a chance, try a real Thiele with the EV--at volume its pretty badass.

9. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

Rango. Can you describe it any more? I have a rectoverb 25 with the 1x12 angled cab. I love the sound but I've typically liked 2x12 a little more. I like it because the sound seem a little more spread out and not so in your face when loud. I've been thinking about getting the rectifier 2x12 cab but since the mini rectifier cabs are supposedly tuned to the mini heads I was afraid I may not like the difference. Also from what I read the rectifier cab is somewhat directional and since it's not angled I may hear my rig less than with the 1x12. Your post made me think another 1x12 may be the ticket.

10. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

just to clarify some previous posts... the "widebody" cab is not a Thiele. There are two Widebody cabs. One is open back, one is closed back/front port. The Thiele is a different cab and is not a Widebody cab. Guys at The Boogie forum who own both the Thiele, and the Widebody closed back/front port, say they sound different. The ports are tuned to different frequencies so while both have front ports, they are different dimensions and have different frequency response in the low mids to low end.

11. DreamTheaterRules

Yes it does! I have the Mini Rec, V25, TA15 and a couple other amps, and I've played them all through the slant front 1x12 Mini Recto cab. By itself and with these amps, it is "very tight and focused" (What JP said in the V25 video...). To me, it sounded a little small and boxy compared to my Avatar Cube V30 I had before I got it. Both of the 2x12 Recto cabs sound significantly bigger! Adding the Avatar below the Mini Rec cab really opens up the tone and adds bottom for two reasons. One, the Avatar is on the floor, and two it's a much deeper cab with more bass to start with than the 1x Recto cab. I'm probably getting a 2x12 vertical Recto cab for the V25 before long.

12. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I tried my V:25 through a the mini slant V30, mini straight V30, the compact recto cab closed back w/ C90, Fillmore, and V30, the Lone Star 19" with C90, and the thiele with C90. They all sound good but different, and I bought the mini slant. Sounds great in the room, and I doubt the cab makes a huge difference once I mic it up. I like micing the cab better than using the cab clone. I still use the cab clone a lot at church, mainly because it's so easy to grab just the head and a guitar and pedalboard at 6 am on a Sunday.

The crunch mode sounds great through my 1x12 Splawn open back with a small block in it. I think this amp is pretty forgiving on the speaker and cab, but seems to work best overall with the V30, IMHO.

Another great cab to consider is the Suhr Badger 1x12 with the veteran 30, such a great compact versatile and tone-full cab.

Sure, the compact 1x12 sounds a little boxy compared to a 2x12, but the 1x12 is so easy to carry. I have yet to get a complaint or even be personally dissatisfied with it when rocking out miced up in the mix. I've only had praise from guitar players and sound guys.

13. DreamTheaterRules

Mike, the cab DOES make a difference when you mic it, but it sounds like you got the right one for micing. The Mini Rec cab is tight (so not boomy at the mic) and while the open back cabs would have worked great for micing as well, the front port cabs (Thiele and Widebody closed/port) are a bit (sometimes a lot) tougher to mic since the front port can be "woofy" which can be picked up by the mic. The closed Mini Rec cab is a good cab to mic.

14. Thomasyoung

Thomasyoung Member

15. Ekluksdahl

Ekluksdahl Member

I have one with the slanted mini recto, sounds fantastic. Going to get a 2x12 recto for bigger venues, but the 1x12 does just fine

16. Lef T

Lef T Member

I'm using a MK V.
    The cab is a 1x12 Royal Atlantic and is 27 inches wide.
    It is a semi open back.
    Weighs 40 lbs and is easy to carry.
    They're discontinued now,but I found this one used,but mint.
    It's got the C90 and sounds really,really nice.

[​IMG]

17. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I have a TA-15 and a V25 both going into Mini Rec 1x12's and I'm totally satisfied with the tone. I was never a V30 guy but these cabs changed my mind completely. At least they work perfectly in this particular cab arrangement. Someone mentioned the badge blocking the area where you mike but I think it acts as a beam blocker of sorts and may help to tame the shrill character of the V30.

18. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

Did you get the thiele with the Fillmore? How do you like it?

19. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I really like the Thiele with the Fillmore in it. It sounds just a tad fuller if that makes sense.

20. DRS

DRS Member

I run my MkV25 through a pine open back oversized pine cab with a Celestion A type. I like it. I also have a ported cab with a Eminence EM12 which sounds great but weighs a ton.