What 2 channel amp has Fender like cleans and smooth Marshally tones?

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
Bogner Shiva or a Fender with a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret pedal engaged for Marshall tones.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Well, how about an amp that runs both EL-34's and 6L6's which allows you to assign those tubes per channel and has a custom 4 x 12 cab that is both open and closed backs?

Mesa Boogie Road King. If the Road King Series II has the the 6L6 Fender tones of the Mesa Lonestar Classic, its the ticket.

anoobis

Well, how about an amp that runs both EL-34's and 6L6's which allows you to assign those tubes per channel and has a custom 4 x 12 cab that is both open and closed backs?

Mesa Boogie Road King. If the Road King Series II has the the 6L6 Fender tones of the Mesa Lonestar Classic, its the ticket.
IMO, the Roadking 1 and II sound like Mesa Rectifier and not really Marshall style, even in El34 modes. The Electradyne totally nails the brit tone and I like it more than any current Marshall models.

TimD

Silver Supporting Member
Another vote for the Shiva, this amp has it all. It's now even more versatile with the recent enhancements, bright switches, revised efx loop etc. I have an older model that was a 1x12 and the amp was a beast to carry. It's now a head. Sounds great and is perfect for most types of music.

Tim

SmilingDave

Another vote for Soldano Lucky 13 here, it has everything you're looking for and then some ...

[x] Fender Cleans
[x] Marshall Crunch
[x] Must be 2 channel with dedicated EQ for each channel
[x] Preferably a combo 1x12 or 2x12 (comes in 2 x 12 combo)

+ Separate reverb controls for each channel (and it is a great reverb at that).

I had one for about 5 years when I was playing out, it's the perfect classic rock amp.

http://www.soldano.com/newsiteapril/html/lucky.html

-David

rsm

thanks for the input guys - that's awesome. the main thing for me is 1x12 or 2x12 combo with portability in mind - under 60lbs. I know.. most 2x12 go over that - I always have to lug around gear to practice cuz my band's renting studio by the hour, so head / cab combination is wearing me thin here. I was thinking about a Fender with a pedal in the front, but I would like to get away from pedals except for Wah - I'm a plugin and go kinda guy and would like keep it that way. In terms of Fenders - I do love those clean tones. I'm doing a lot of funk and reggae this days and the Fender cleans are awesome for sure. However, I solo and there's times when I need to kick into light to medium distortion but I don't like Fender pre-EQ gain architecture where everything is mud. The main thing for me is a Fender clean and a nice overdrive based on that clean and if I roll off on the volume I wanna get back that nice clean Fendery tone. Dynamics is key too!

Looks like Rivera and newer Traynors has been mentioned here quite a bit.

This sounds like you are into / really want the Fender cleans, and would like to have "a nice overdrive based on that clean". I picked up a Fender Deco Tone recently (essentially a Fender Custom Shop, made in USA, Blues Jr.) to get a clean tube amp for my pedals and effects. (FWIW, I'm a Vox amp guy). I know you don't want pedals, but if you want to push a clean Fender to OD / Dist, and keep the original tone structure, I highly recommend giving the TC Electronic Nova Drive a try.

I mean, your wah + 1 pedal with both OD / Dist, that you can use independently, stack or route a number of ways, and store up to 18 presets (with optional MIDI control). Sounds easier IMO than trying to find one amp that can do Fender clean and Marshall dirt, or having one of each for a clean / dirt set-up?! Again, based on what you said, and I quoted above. Get a Fender combo and try a Nova Drive...it provides dynamics, and transparent OD / Dist (like your amps tonal structure + OD and/or Dist). I go direct to my Vox amp, really dig the jangle and chime cleans, and the OD on the edge of breakup, but I can't have it all...I think the Nova Drive will give it with the Vox set to clean, just like it does on my Fender (my Vox isn't broken in yet, so I'm taking it easy, just guitar into the amp for now, but it will see the Nova Drive in front soon.).

Here is one of the better, and official, Nova Drive vids, still doesn't sound as good as it does in person though, IMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCRkL3h6sio

keith_t4e

John Suhr did it wonderfully when he came up with the OD100. Basically any model OD100 due to them all prety much having the same clean channel. That is the amp that does it. Most of the others mentioned to not have a blackface clean. The Egnater MOD50 and do it all very well.

keith_t4e

engl amps have a great clean, but I wouldn't call it blackface. 3 monkeys have several great clean tones to them.

Mike7

I had 2 Riveras, and they were OK amps but really no where near a 50 or 100 watt Marshall with good speakers.
Get a Marshall non master volume 100 watter prior to 1975, make sure they didn't strip the mustards out of it and you should be good to go. Won't be Fender clean, but clean enough when you roll back the guitar volume, and you'll have all the Marshall tough you could ever want and with a few good pedals you'll have everything you could ever need. If money is a consideration I would say you could go up to even late 70's with the master volumes and still be ok as long as you can try it first and make sure the sound is there.

Trending Topics