What 25-1/2" scale guitar with humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pappy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

My main guitar for years has been a mid-eighties MIJ Tele that I absolutely love. I picked up a K-Line Strat recently (which is awesome) and now I'm looking around for a guitar with humbuckers.

The problem is that I don't really like Gibsons that much. I'm just used to the feel of Fender scale length. I also much prefer non-trem guitars. Is there a Fender scale guitar with humbuckers that you would recommend? My budget is around $1,500. I was thinking of having K-Line make me a Tele Deluxe with Lollar Imperials but thought I'd get your feedback.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. shawntp

shawntp Member

Not that this answers your question but Gibson has made a couple 25.5 guitars. In electrics I know the Tennessean / Country Gentleman (maybe all the Chet models) are 25.5. I also have an Advanced Jumbo acoustic that is Gibson and 25.5 - not sure what else they have made - I am sure someone around will be able to answer your question with a recommendation though.

3. echale3

echale3 Member

How about a hardtail double-fat Strat?

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Hamer Monaco SuperPros occasionally show up cheap and they're gorgeous. A cheap suggestion would be to try a Hagstrom Super Swede.

5. Figher53

Figher53 Member

I've got a K-line JM-style with two Lollar Imperials. Probably my favorite guitar to play at the moment...

6. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I've seen some absolutely gorgeous used melancon T style guitars with 2 humbuckers for around your budget.

7. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Find yourself a used Tom Anderson one of the best thing out there with a humbucker and a 25.5 scale

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Fender makes a tele like that, they starte din the early 70's I believe. Another even better option IMHO is a Hamer Monoco.

9. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

Sounds very cool. Can you tell me more about it? Does it have the usual JM circuitry and tremolo or does it have a Gibson style stop tailpiece?

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are a number of them that I hadn't thought of. I'll have to start looking into them.

10. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

EB MusicMan

Silhouette HSH
    20th Anniversary Silhouette HH
    Axis Super Sport HH
    JP HH
    SM HSSH or HSH

There's also the HSS Silhouette Special, my fav.

11. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I bought a Tele HH (forgot the model name... Custom maybe?) back in the 70's, that stands out in my mind as the most lifeless and worthless guitar I've ever owned. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but it was a neither here nor there guitar, just no soul.

12. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

Another question: Do you feel that humbuckers sound good in 25-1/2" scale guitars are they really better suited to shorter scale instruments? Just curious if I'm wasting my time. It seems to me that the longer scale length would give them a bit more clarity.

13. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

My main instrument is a 26" Scott French with TV Jones humbuckers and it's _very_ big and clear sounding. I have to imagine it would be comparable with a good set of Gibson-style HBs.

14. bek

bek Member

Jonny Lang has mostly been using various 72 Thinlines for awhile and they sound great with the Fender Wide Range hbs and the Fender scale. I have an Industrial LP which is the same scale and has two ToneForDays humbuckers in it and it sounds really good and my tech insists it would sound even better if the guitar was made of wood (!). Fender Deluxe Teles also came with an LP electronic arrangement, and some people really like those.

15. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

My bandmate owns a Fender Tele Deluxe and it sounds great. It is sort of what started my interest in a Fender scale guitar with humbuckers. I don't want to buy a vintage one, though, and the reissues have different pickups.

16. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Try a 25" scale guitar with humbuckers, like a PRS.

17. uOpt

uOpt Member

Soloist SL2H :)

Gibson RD :)

Faster faster faster :)

18. bek

bek Member

19. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

[​IMG]

People are calling this new model is a "LP" for Fender players. I haven't played one yet, but it looks really good to me.

20. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

Wow! Beautiful guitar. I have a feeling that it's out of my price range, though.