What 335 is this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Thinking about picking up a 1998 ES-335. Owners not sure about whether its a historic or just a custom shop. Serial is A980** with an orange sticker inside giving the serial number. From what I can tell...I "think" this may be a historic 59 reissue given the serial. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, are the historic reissues worth more than just the custom shop guitars?

2. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

A photo would help, the historics are made at the Custom Shop, later ones are made at the Memphis Custom shop I beleive. So if it is a Historic it would have been made at the custom shop.

3. kingsxman

i'll get a couple pics shortly.. just bad cell phone pics though..

4. Quartertank

Quartertank Member

the label inside the f hole will clearly state nashville or memphis. if nashville,it is a historic. if memphis, it is not from the historic collection. that serial number looks like it is a 59 historic built in 2008. but as i've figured out after shopping these the past few weeks, there are multiple models within the memphis collection with differing features on everything from body size/shape to neck carve, electronics, tuners, binding, side dot markers. it's enough to make you go mad.

5. kingsxman

Its definitely a 98. Will a 98 show where it was made? I only have these crappy cell phone pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 335guy

335guy Member

It's definitely a custom shop historic. Notice the longer pick guard. I have a '97 Dot RI. It has the shorter pick guard and the regular label inside ( not the orange one ). The '59 should have a little beefier neck carve as well.

7. 335guy

335guy Member

Oh yeah, one more big difference. The historic has Klusons. My Dot RI has Grovers.

8. kingsxman

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pick it up.

So are the historics worth more than the standard custom shop models?

9. hacker

hacker Member

Thats a Historic '59 Reissure for sure. I have the same guitar-although mine is a '96 in Cherry. Kluson tuners, long guard, aged binding, flame maple body-no COAs at this time. Made in Nashville. There will not be a serial number on the back of the neck-only the custom shop logo. The serial number will be on a sticker in the cavity. The "A" indicated it is a historic reissue. You can check Gibson's website and confirm this as well. They also have records if you want to email their customer service with your serial number-thats what I did.

FWIW, they seem to fetch around $3200 on eBay (one sold last week, and I saw a natural one about a year ago for that price as well-there's not too many around).