What 4x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tolstoy, Sep 28, 2005.

1. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

I have a '67 Bassman head that I originally had in a 1x12" combo cab that I built....wasn't delivering the tone I wanted so I tried spliting the speaker and amp and built a 1x12" open back cab for the head. Still not cutting it in the long run. I had a 4x10" cab that I built a few years ago loaded with cheap carvin 10" speakers and constructed of MDF. Sounds much more like I wanted. I know the MDF construction and the Carvin speakers could be improved upon, so I'm looking into 4x10's.

Really looking at the Marshall 1965A, but am also considering Avatar and others. Looking for some clean chime while maintaining some tonal girth and definition when I kick in the Barber dirt boxes I'm running.

Would I be well served with a used Marshall 1965A, or would the benifits warrant the extra cost of something like the Avatar? Any other cabs to look for? Why are they better?

Tolstoy

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

Marshall 1965a is good
    VHT 4x10 is good
    Peavey Classic 410e (Good enough for Tom Morello, Good enough for me)
    I'll try to think of some others.
    I don't know anything about the Avatars, but they are spoken of highly here at TGP. Hope this helps.

3. woof*

woof* Member

im a fan of the 4x10's myself. ive used fender super reverbs for so long that i guess im stuck on em. my newest cab,...J.D.Newell made for me to go with my incoming rockytop 45H, both in purple. one of my favorite speakers (and tonequest reports) is the blue 20 watt eminence legend alnico 102 that was OEM stock when fender reissued the the first 4x10 tweed bassmans. i put a set of those in the new cab for the rockytop and cant wait to hear it. i have a tweed carvin 4x10 from ebay also with the same speakers.
    as for the 4x10 marshalls they rock too. do a search on ebay..4x10,410 etc and keep and eye out..they can be had for 200 if your lucky. you will also come across many deals on cabs. thats how i got the tweed carvin for 100 i think. if you decide to have a cab built there are many options out there..J.D.Newell is fast and fair priced and does just great work, he specializes in fender style. he sells cabs on ebay sometimes (blucat1) and his site http://www.newellamps.com/
    hope this is helpful.
    rand

rand

4. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

Check out a Dr Z 4x10 open back cab. Tremendous power handling capability, 300 watts, a great bottom and plenty of sparkle. Straddles the British/American thing pretty well, depending on amp.
    ArnieZ

5. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

I've got a 1965 and I love it! well made, very solid. Put emi legend 105's in it , It's really rich sounding now! :dude

6. ned911

ned911 Member

I've got a 1965A and a new Boogie 410 with Jensen's and Eminence speakers. The Marshall has more low end but that's from the close back design, the Boogie sounds really sweet.

If your looking to keep that Fender sound go with open back cab, if your looking for that Bassman/Plexi sound go with the Marshall.

There are sound clips of the Boogie cab with a LSS at www.grailtone.com

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I run my '67 Bandmaster through a Mesa Boogie 4x10, which comes loaded with four Jensen alnico RI's. That's my top recommendation; everyone who's come over to my studio raves about it - especially the Strat players, of which I'm not one. Sounds really great live.

The MB 4x10 is, I believe, listed in their Rectifier series of speaker cabinets.... go figure.

I had the Marshall 1965 4x10 for years, and I thought it was voiced more for crunchy Marshall tones: Very solid bottom (from the closed back), a slightly crispy top, and a scoop in the middle. I didn't think it sounded as good as the MB, with a blackface Bandmaster.

Kiwi

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

The Marshall 1965 cabs are the best closed-back 4x10 cabs around. The A is good, the B has even more focused low-end. Great cabs.

--chiba

9. ned911

ned911 Member

I use the Marshall for rehearsal and gigging the Boogie is at home for recording. You can also get the Boogie in the Lone Star trim. There is a Boogie price sheet at forum.grailtone.com

The Marshall is definately better for crunch tones. But the Boogie has a very special vibe.

10. HHB

HHB Member

big huge love for my Bogner open back 410, loaded w/ Kendrick Blackframes it's amazing

11. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I second the Dr Z 4X10! Sounds great with whatever I've plugged into it.
    Rick

12. Antero

Antero Member

Or get J Design to build you one.

www.jdesigncabs.com

It would come out to less than the Dr. Z unless you really tricked it out, and he's a very nice guy to deal with.

13. amplifiedtorock

amplifiedtorock Member

14. m1911

m1911 Member

Check out the Dr.Z 4x10 Cabinet.
    280 Watts wired at 4ohms for $650.00
    Damn nice cabinet that is VERY tight and a lot power handling in a small package.

15. alanfc

alanfc Member

16. Reeek

Reeek Member

+10

17. JJman

JJman Member

I also have the 1965A. I think it was originally intended as the mate to the 100watt Mosfet (SS) P.O.S head. It uses 35watt Celestions. I put a brace from the front to the back. I think the 4x12s come with that? Nice tight low end but no "full" sound as with an open back. Fits under a DR perfectly (after you move the feet on the DR.)

[​IMG]

18. Blueser

Blueser Member