What 90's Guitar Effect Is This?

sjwieczorkow

Silver Supporting Member
Please check out 34:35. I hear this wobbly sort of guitar effect on a lot of 90's rock and shoegaze bands. What is it exactly? It sounds somewhat like a Chorus on a fast setting, but not quite there. I don't think it is a vibe pedal either as it is not "throbby" enough.

Any advice is appreciated.

PanicOrganic

I wonder if it's straight vibrato. My layman's understanding is that vibrato is the pitch-modulated signal only (without the dry signal blended back in, which would give you chorus or univibe sounds). Check out the vibrato setting on the MXR M68 Univibe.

sjwieczorkow

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if it's straight vibrato. My layman's understanding is that vibrato is the pitch-modulated signal only (without the dry signal blended back in, which would give you chorus or univibe sounds). Check out the vibrato setting on the MXR M68 Univibe.

Hmm. You bring up a good point. I have never owned a proper vibrato pedal before. For some reason I have always put Uni-Vibe and Vibrato in the same bucket. They aren't necessarily the same. I am certain they do overlap, but are indeed different.

PanicOrganic

Hmm. You bring up a good point. I have never owned a proper vibrato pedal before. For some reason I have always put Uni-Vibe and Vibrato in the same bucket. They aren't necessarily the same. I am certain they do overlap, but are indeed different.

Yes, definitely in the same family, but different sounds. I bought my M68 for the classic Leslie thing, and discovered I loved switching over to the vibrato effect even more.

Dlpz87

Catherine Wheel were so good. I'm so bummed I didn't hear their stuff till just a few years ago.

@sjwieczorkow I agree with @PanicOrganic that it's likely Vibrato (like a Boss VB-2), but I feel like I can still here some dry signal in there, so it might be something like a CE-5 with all the knobs cranked if it isn't a wet-dry rig. But definitely look in to the VB-2 or its various clones. This is making me regret selling my VB-2W!

Ah, well there ya go (def either the Uni-vibe on Vibrato as mentioned above, or the Boss VB-2): https://guitar.com/rig-diagrams/rig-diagram-catherine-wheel-brian-futter-1995/

npappas

I LOVE this record!

I guess I always assumed that was a manual vibrato effect (whammy bar) or a Leslie (lots of studios in the 90s were using Leslie cabs) but yeah I suppose it could be a Boss VB-2 for sure.

Great tones on this album all 'round. Love the modulation in "Texture" and "Black Metallic" as well.

59Vampire

Platinum Supporting Member
The guy who was the singer in Catherine Wheel now restores and rebuilds classic Porsches.. Company is called Singer. Sorry to derail

Zooey

The guy who was the singer in Catherine Wheel now restores and rebuilds classic Porsches.. Company is called Singer. Sorry to derail

Wow, really? He's the nephew of Bruce Dickinson, if I remember correctly.

I saw CW twice in their heyday, but never got a good look at the pedals. I've always suspected that sound was a VB-2.

Catherine Wheel were not gearheads. In the interviews I've seen, it seems like they either dislike talking about gear, or they honestly don't know/remember what they used. That first album was produced by Tim Friese-Greene and maybe he supplied some toys. The second album, which is equally good, was produced by Gil Norton. But I'm pretty sure most of their gear was not esoteric and it included Boss pedals. There's a sound of a PH-2 in Mode 2 on some tracks.

chromewaves

Wow, really? He's the nephew of Bruce Dickinson, if I remember correctly.

I saw CW twice in their heyday, but never got a good look at the pedals. I've always suspected that sound was a VB-2.

Catherine Wheel were not gearheads. In the interviews I've seen, it seems like they either dislike talking about gear, or they honestly don't know/remember what they used. That first album was produced by Tim Friese-Greene and maybe he supplied some toys. The second album, which is equally good, was produced by Gil Norton. But I'm pretty sure most of their gear was not esoteric and it included Boss pedals. There's a sound of a PH-2 in Mode 2 on some tracks.

The Dickinsons be cousins.

MomentFX

Boss Vibrato?
rig-diagram-Catherine-Wheel-Brian-Futter-1995@3000x5632px.jpg

Arcadia

Wow, didn't know that. Very familiar with Singer though. It's 100% my dream car. My dream is to have one when I get to 59.5 and have access to the Roth IRA without penalties.

I'll be the automotive equivalent of a cork sniffer at that point with my vintage resto-mod internal combustion engine Porsche... :rockin

cameron

Yeah, it's probably a VB-2. I'll take a Univibe-alike over one of those any day, but that's just me

Trending Topics

Top Bottom