What a fantastic era for folks that love modelers!

KingsXJJ

Sure we may have our favorite brands and their products but it is all just getting so good. I can dial in a more perfect Marshall or Friedman than the actual amps I‘ve had. Just sent a Runt 20 watt combo back. Not because it wasn’t nice or didn’t sound good. To me it just didn’t sound AS good. I realize that might be heresy to some. That’s ok too.

The kicker is I was comparing it to the $200 Amp Academy and $400 FireBox MKII. Both over nice headphones.
It’s nice to be reminded every once in a while just how good we have it these days. My 15 year old self would have loved to have these tones available. Back then, I thought I finally had a GREAT amp with my first blue stripe Peavey Bandit.

Good times! Then and now. :)

I prefer my HX Stomp to most of the real amps I've ever owned.

In the days when I had to ask my parents for gear whenever my birthday/Christmas rolled around, if I had had access to this setup, I'd have been so thrilled. Although I suppose younger me would probably still have wanted "the real thing" just because.

But it's not just that there's like, one or two good modelers. There are a TON of choices at a bazillion price points. The digital game has so much more interesting stuff going on IMO, even though I am not ready to give up my Two Rocks yet.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I am glad I went through the era of gigging Marshall stacks and Fender Twins etc. It gave me a point of reference that makes me appreciate modeling very much. I have had pretty much every one since the old POD v1 and Johnson Millenium. We have come so far and it is truly a great time to be a guitar player.

LaXu

I feel like we are about one generation away from "perfect" for the higher end modelers. To me that next generation will bring the much needed improvements to usability while having enough DSP horsepower that you won't feel you need to play much "fx block Tetris" on them. It probably won't sound much better than the current gen because we are already firmly in the diminishing returns department.

I'd also like to mention how modelers make stereo setups just massively easier. I built a pedalboard + two amps/cabs stereo capable setup about a year ago and what I did not account for is that the two amps, being different gear, will expect a bit different levels in their loops and so on and my setup is just not capable of accommodating that so getting volume levels just right for each amp is its own challenge. The money spent was also quite a bit higher but at least pedals are generally easy to sell if needed since most were bought used. Of course if I were to play out I would not try to haul a stereo amp rig.

At the same time if you are willing to look at the less popular brands, there's also plenty of improvements to the more traditional gear. My 35W Victory VC35 all tube head weighs less than 10 kilos and even comes with a carry bag. Meanwhile my BluGuitar Amp 1 fits on my pedalboard. My Bluetone 4x10 cab is lighter than my more traditionally built 1x12!

Ejay

In my mind “great stuff for little cash” is happening across the board…guitars, amps, pedals, modelers.

I don’t think there is a lot of development looking at the endresult…let’s say 90s versus today…but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper and smaller.

I do think “analog” is closing in on weight/convenience of modeling. Lightweight heads with IRs, “analog amps in boxes”, midicontrolled amps. Also IR loading powerbreakers gets the usecase of oldschool gear a lot closer to modelers.
And a lot of it sounds great!

Left or right…you can become a Rockgod on a budget ;-)

Seanspeed

At the same time if you are willing to look at the less popular brands, there's also plenty of improvements to the more traditional gear. My 35W Victory VC35 all tube head weighs less than 10 kilos and even comes with a carry bag. Meanwhile my BluGuitar Amp 1 fits on my pedalboard. My Bluetone 4x10 cab is lighter than my more traditionally built 1x12!
Seriously, it's just a fantastic time for guitar players in general, whatever route you go. I'll be sticking with modeling for the foreseeable future, but even if I weren't, I'd still be loving the current situation with guitar gear.

KingsXJJ

Seriously, it's just a fantastic time for guitar players in general, whatever route you go. I'll be sticking with modeling for the foreseeable future, but even if I weren't, I'd still be loving the current situation with guitar gear.
I agree!

Unless you want to buy a Marshall in the US. :mad:

Sloppyfingers

I agree! I'm not a pure amp modeling guy myself (I like my real amps), but technology has something for everyone..Like others have highlighted, there's been a bit of a load box and IR revolution these past few years with companies like Suhr and Revv smartly incorporating them into their amp designs.It is indeed a great time for both all in one modeling people or hybrid players who like their amps, but also embrace cab sims.

DunedinDragon

It's a great time for guitar players. Too bad it took us an extra decade more than it took keyboard players to embrace the digital world. Now we're just waiting on the drummers......

r_ray

As a bedroom engineer only these days, I had gotten down to just the Universal Audio stuff. I have most of their amp plugins and as soon as you figure out how to dial them in, they sound great. Now, with the new UAFX amp pedals, I'm really loving the tones. I just need the Dream to finish the collection.
So, most everything I need is either on my computer or plugged in and sitting close to me on my desk, including microphones.

If I gigged I’d probably get a FM3, but I don’t see that happening.

CakeEater

I love having great stereo tones at reasonable volumes. I used to play through a pair of Yamaha HS7s, but eventually moved full-time to my Dynacord AXM12A wedges (12" co-axial speakers) because they had way better dispersion, were less boxy and still sound great at room volume.

Another benefit is the flexibility. I'm looking into buying a high-grade ukulele, and it can plug into my Helix and monitors just as easily. I can add delays, reverb, shimmer etc. It's all completely cross compatible.

And lets not forget about silent playing and direct recording either.

LithiumZero

It's a great time for guitar players. Too bad it took us an extra decade more than it took keyboard players to embrace the digital world. Now we're just waiting on the drummers......
My drummer uses a high end Roland kit. They look like acoustic drums and sound fantastic. I don't miss having a crash cymbal right behind my head on small stages. Being able to play quietly if we have to is an added bonus.

I am glad I went through the era of gigging Marshall stacks and Fender Twins etc. It gave me a point of reference that makes me appreciate modeling very much. I have had pretty much every one since the old POD v1 and Johnson Millenium. We have come so far and it is truly a great time to be a guitar player.

All it took for me was carrying around an AC15 lol. 50lbs and two trips still sucked!

WingZero

you know it's a good time when you have to try different modelers to see the one you prefer (opposite to ''which one is good enoug'')

Yeah, right now you can get something good at almost any budget and you'll be happy to play your instrument as well as go into uncharted territories of soundmaking

12TameMen

And now a moment to honor our forefathers.

Amplifier4.jpg

Top Bottom