What about a Marshall..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bloozman, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Im so disapointed with my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special, That Im ready to find something new...Ive considered a Marshall, however their website is really confusing...Can someone suggest a Marshall mnodel for a blues player...More than 30 watts, maybe 50...Class A preferred, with features such as channel switching, and solo boost...reverb would be nice too...Combo or half stack, I dont care. Just want a reliable amp...Thanks in advance

2. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

Let me start of by saying, there are not alot of TRUE class A amps out there, alessandro is one of them that i can think of right now. Alot of them that say they are class a are actually not. The newer marshalls w/channel switching and solo boost and stuff are not well suited for blues. But you could get one of the re-issues or the hw series and boost it yourself with an overdrive or clean boost. Or you could a/b it for an instant clean. Are you dead set on marshall?

Also, 50 watts is actually only percepted a tiny bit louder than a 30 watter, unless your looking for a little more headroom.

3. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Yo Rock...Adrian says.."Im not into mortgaging the house to buy an amp"...Allesandro looks great, but waaaaay outta line$$$$$$$..Thanks for the help though..:AOK

4. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

I was just giving an example, lol. Im poor so i can only dream! :(

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

For blues and classic rock you don't need reverb or channel switching, you just need a volume knob and a decent guitar and a Marshall. Any of the 50w ones will do the job, but I favor the early 80s JCM800s with EL34s (a slight mod from the stock 6550s) because they have both a cleaner clean and more distortion than the previous 4 holes (well, arguably). Expect to pay around $1000 for a combo, less for a head. You can get one with reverb, mid 80s, perhaps a bit less "pure" with some diodes in the signal path but some folks here love 'em.

6. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Well Bob...Some people are happy with crank up windows and manual steering on their cars too...I prefer Power Steering, and electric windows...Just like I prefer Reverb, and Channel switching:D

7. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

a jtm45 with some kt66's in it is a perfect blues and classic rock amp. run it through some greenbacks or blues and you'll have classic tones for days and days and days. i know that you said channel switching but with these amps you can basically switch to clean just by rolling your guitar volume back a bit. the problem with marshalls with lots of channel switching and stuff is that they don't sound all that great for bluesy classic rock. if you really want to go that route i'd say that the jcm2000 dsl50 is the best sounding of the bunch. much much more open then the tsl's and not as harsh as the dsl100's i've played. check either of those amps out. good luck.

8. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Maybe a DSL 401? Its been a while since I've played one, but I seem to remember that they were fairly decent combos, although may have some reliability issues.
    Its still not going to have a very good clean channel. No where near as nice as the lonestar, (and I'm not a boogie fan).
    The only channel switcher that I've played that I thought would be a good blues / classic rock amp was the Bogner Shiva. You might find a deal on a used one.

Personally I'd get a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, a Tonebone hot british for the Marshall stuff, and a tubescreamer type pedal for dirty blues.

9. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Thanks Guys...If I have to live without all the bells and whistles, Ill play my Tonemaster..I love the amp, but no reverb, and no solo boost either...but it does have channel switching...maybe Ill get a reverb box like the holy grail and play my tonemaster...Its A/B though, but the tone is awesome...

10. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Funny, Ive done blues for years with a Marshall 900 Combo. Its really a pretty good all round amp in the right hands. In fact Ive done Jazz, Blues, Country and Metal with it. You can make any amp work if you try...

Richard

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If you mean "Class AB", of course it is... so are almost all amps including your Lonestar (unless you have the Special and ONLY when it's in 5W single-ended mode). The Tonemaster also a very unusual amp in that it isn't really a channel-switcher, despite appearing to have two channels with separate EQ. It's a clever design that uses the same audio path for both channels but switches the control networks. It's actually almost better to think of it as a dual non-MV amp which has an extra gain boost mode... which is why the dirty channel doesn't start to sound really great until it reaches B52 take-off volume ;).

Marshall have never made a Class A amp except for two little practice amps (Capri and Mercury) from the late 60s/early 70s and which are definitely not what you want, despite actually being Class A. Forget about the Class A marketing BS, that's all it is.

Sadly, Marshall have IMO also never made an amp with modern features such as channel-switching and reverb, but also with great tone and good reliability. The closest may be the 80s JCM800 Split-Channels, but they're not really the best choice for blues - more of a rock/metal amp... although Buddy Guy used one at one point.

I'd do what sabbath90 suggested and get a JTM45 reissue or Bluesbreaker combo, and a couple of pedals.

12. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Thanks for the info John...yes. my Lonestar is a "special"...In more ways than one..:FM ...Glad people here know their stuff...:AOK