What about Audix monitors and mics?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ratkent, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ratkent

ratkent Member

I can get Audix gear cheap so I am wondering about the quality of thier stuff since I'm not familiar with them at all. I mainly need a good vocal mic, an ambient mic for guitar cabs and reference monitors for my home studio.

Any suggestions?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Bought some PH-5 powered monitors for $50 once and used them for computer speakers, along with an Infinity sub. It made one hell of a gaming system. I tried using them as monitors for a short time, when I didn't have room for anything bigger. They were hard to mix with. But these were cheap speakers too. Their other speakers seemed to be overpriced for passive monitors.

Their mics are decent. The d3 seemed to take the place of everyones 57 for a brief period. The SCX series mics are very nice.

3. dave s

dave s Member

Audix vocal mics (live) are GREAT! We have three OM-5s in our band for vox. The OM-7 is dollar for dollar one of the best affordable pro-quality mics on the planet!

If you can get a really good deal on an OM-7, buy it!

dave

4. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    There are two audix products I can speak highly of. The underated SCX-25 LDC and the Nile-5 monitors.

They've done omething very correct to my ears with the SCX-25. It has become my drum overhead of choice on most rock projects and it ain't bad for acoustic piano either.

The Nile-5 monitors are being produced on a limited basis. They are very pleasent to listen to and and will yeild good mixes. You must have a good power amp. My only issue with them is the high end will get fatigued after about a year of use. You've got to budget for changing those tweeters.

On the subject of their vocal mics, the OM-5 has one of the best GFB specs on the market. Great if you want a lot of monitor. However they sound a long way from flat.

The i5 has turned out to be a gem. I was loaned a couple and it was much more open on snare drum than a 57. I go between using that and a 57 on guitar cabinets for a close mic. I'm also usually using some sort of LDC in tandem with it. There is very good presence from the i5. I think someone may actually give the 57 a run for its money finally.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I very much like the D3 on certain guitar cabs and snares. Their kick drum mic is also becoming a sort of studio staple, since it gets you into that "ideal kick drum" territory without a lot of fussing.

They make good mics for the dollar.

6. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

the D3 is a superb alternative to a 57 for live guitar amp mic'ing. i used one 200 nights a year for 6-7 years and got compliments on it all the time from foh guys. they said they had to eq far less than for a 57 or 58. a pretty neutral sounding mic.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

audix drum mics rawk, and heard their i-5, which is supposedly their SM57 killer is quite good.