What about copyright stuff here?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by buddastrat, Dec 19, 2005.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

There's millions of clips of copywritten material. Most clips are just riffs/songs to check out tone or instructional stuff. I see some websited restricting posting of anything that is copywritten.

Hell, if that's the case, any gig by a band that does covers is in the same boat.

I always thought if it's used as instructional purpose, that it's okay for that sorta thing.

Anyone have some input on this?

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

Any time you write anything, you have a common law copyright. This means it's yours ... if you can prove it. Registering a copyright makes it a lot easier to prove, well worth the money. If you pay one of the big music licensing agencies, you can play copyrighted songs (assuming it's registered with them) ... so playing in a bar that's payed it's dues is legal. They can also play CDs over the PA under the same coverage. If you buy a CD, copy it and give it to a friend; I'm pretty sure you're legal as long as you do not accept anything for it. Posting copyrighted songs on the internet may be technically illegal, but as long as you're not selling it, it's seems to slide. Riding a Harley Davidson with a loud exhaust is illegal, but until the police start enforcing it, we have to put up with the noise.

That was my best shot ... is there a lawyer in the house?

3. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

No that is actually ILLEGAL!!!!

What is a grey area is if you make an extra copy for yourself to play in the car etc......

Bryan