What about stacking a RAT and a Big Muff - Is anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by williamisthisit, Jan 27, 2015.

1. williamisthisit

williamisthisit Member

So, here's the deal: I'm playing a Vox ac15 on the edge of break up and I use a RAT to push into distortion! I really want a fuzz, specially a Big Muff.

I know about the issues of playing with a Big Muff in a band, and how it will get lost in a mix. That's why I didn't bought it yet. But the RAT has a lot of mids, which would help the Big Muff to cut in a mix.

So, I want to know if they sound good stacked. I've stacked pedals with a RAT before, but anything going into the RAT just get muddy and lost all the high end when stacked. Will the Big Muff suffer from the same problem?

I'm thinking having the Big Muff next to the RAT. Will this work? Did anyone do this before?

Thanks

2. GLinks

GLinks Member

Been doing it a lot myself lately, Muff into the Rat by and large. Running that into my Bearfoot RRB and EGDM low gain for some voxiness into a '59 Bassman RI. LOVing the sounds I'm getting.

3. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

This is a constant. Not running it now, but I have a fuzz pedal on hand to squeeze in between my Rat and TS808 clone and it's heaven, and honestly, I have found myself wishing my fuzz were a Big Muff.

The Big Muff after Rat, when used as a 3rd stage gain level, is just as I said above: Heaven. I only wish that, currently, I had a Muff style fuzz, which is 2nd on my purchase list right now.

If you are thinking about it, DO IT. But remember that nothing (color-wise) will ever work properly before a Rat. It has to be after.

4. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Any fuzz into a rat or vice versa sounds awesome in my opinion

5. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Naturally it depends a lot of the speaker...

But in general with my AC30 I found both the Catalinbread Manx and Black Arts LSTR sound great and don't get lost in the mix at all (even not stacked, tho I prefer them stacked with an OD) due to their great EQ sections. Can dial in just the right amount of lows/highs and use them both together to dial in the mids (kind of like a Timmy).

The Black Arts Black Forest always gets a honorary mention because it sounds fantastic on Vox amps, tho not necessarily Muff sounding.

Also... I love stacking with Rats, but usually my chain looks like Fuzz Face type>Rat>Overdrive>Muff type. In general Rats like to be first when stacking.

6. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

You stack 4 gain pedals at the same time, one of them a Big Muff? :eeks

7. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

i had a triangle muff and whiteface Rat. they were pretty sick together

the Rat i find misses a lot of low end frequencies (which a muff can deliver in spades), but has such good cut and is a great platform of dirt to stack the muff with.

loved this into a clean amp.

8. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

At the point of breakup on an AC15, you are pretty much out of headroom, from an amp that doesn't have a lot of headroom to begin with. With nowhere to go, adding a bass heavy high gain fuzz has the potential to sound like a wall of undefined mud. One reason treble boosters are so popular with cranked Vox amps is that they cut the low end flub and mud that can easily overpower your sound when you've run out of headroom at higher gain levels. I had an AC15 I tried many higher gain drive pedals through and when the amp was loud enough to play with a band it just got lost no matter what I did. My AC30 was better at handling that because of the increased headroom.

Give it a shot, may work out for what you want it to do, but try to buy it from a place you can return it to and keep it pristine so you can get your money back if it doesn't work out.