1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What about Star Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mrjoelv, May 12, 2006.

1. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

Anybody have any experience with Mark Sampson's "Star" Amp line? I was checking out his web site and figured I would ask.

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I had a GainStar, 30wt combo for a few months. 2 channel amp, great chimey cleans, and if pushed loud (louder than my context allows) the gain was great. At the volumes I play in a band context, the gain was buzzy imo. Very solid build.

3. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

Thanks, it sounds like the lower watt version might be a better choice for me. Have you played the Blues Star?

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

No, sorry, never played any other Star amps other than mentioned above.

5. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I picked up a GainStar 30 a few months back, but can't recall from who; was it yours? Nice amp but I prefer my `96 Chieftain so the GainStar's on eBay right now.

6. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I think it was mine. I owned 3 different ones, 2 1 x12's and one head and 2 x 12 cab combo. Great amps but just wasn't my sound.

Chuck

7. flicker180

flicker180 Member

nifty...just put a bid in. :)

dave

8. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I don't think so, Chuck, unless I got it from someone you sold to. I did buy your PRS Hollowbody last year, though.

9. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I have a gainStar 15 and honestly think it's my favorite amp I've owned (Two Rock-Bogner-Bruno-Carr-Rivera-Egnator-Fender-Dr. Z . . . . ).

I put a little clean channel clip up a while back . .check it out and see if it suits you. I would disagree that the gain channel is buzzy, in fact to me it sounds very dark and mid-heavy . . . .which I like a lot. The build quality seems on par or surpassing anything I've seen in the PTP world (I do open the chassis up just out of curiosity). I used to gig with heads and 2x12 cabs but I think the GainStar fills up a room just about as well, it has a pretty stout low end. This amp has more harmonic complexity than anything I've run through.

I think if Marks company does not do well it's because of pretty limited marketing . . . the amps are killers IMO.

10. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Aren't they very similar to a Hot Cat? If so,they need to be cranked for the amp to perform correctly. Definitely not a bedroom/basement amp.

11. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Oh yeah that is what it was. I knew I sold you something.

Chuck

12. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

You'd have sold me a lot more stuff if I hadn't reined myself in. My GAS was really out of control there for a while.