What acoustic to buy?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by tomkatzz, May 1, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I was all set to buy a Martin, but my guitar teacher said I would get more for my money with a Breedlove.

Then I was talking to a guy who has a 700 series Taylor and says they're the best.

What do you think? I've got about a thousand dollars to spend. Oh, and I'll be buying it at my local Guitar Center.

2. Tricks

Tricks Member

For 1k I think you shouldn't discount the idea of a secondhand guitar. In my experience the "cheaper" Martins (I've only played 2) aren't much good - despite the name on the headstock. Can't comment on Taylor, and have never played (or even heard of, for that matter) a Breedlove. What I do know is that for that kind of money it is possible to land yourself a really nice second hand guitar, a friend got himself a great sounding GUILD a couple of years ago for $1200, it had a beautiful sound and was set up great - had a beautiful feel. In fact, I went to help a friend choose a guitar a few years ago (he had a budget of $800) we found that the one that played and sounded the best was only $500. Be patient, keep looking. Good luck.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

In that price range I would lean towards the Taylor. However, it's a great idea to get out and play a bunch of them, and don't limit yourself to Guitar "Denter". Good advice given to consider used guitars, as well. You might get lucky and find a Gibson J45.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

You won't get a Taylor 710 for the money you have to spend. You might get a decent Martin "X" model (made in Mexico), and I've heard many that sounded excellent.

I play a Martin D-35 and also own a Breedlove AD20/SR Plus (the Atlas series). I got the Breedlove used, with the hard case, for just $450 (yeah!) and it's a delight to play. Not nearly as expressive (loud, that is) as the Martin, but we do an acoustic duo and play through a PA, so the Martin stays home in the studio, and the Breedlove does the work.

You might want to consider a few others ... MF is selling a new line of Gibsons in your price range, Larrivee makes a few really nice boxes, Epiphone "Masterbuilt" models are awesome (I like the AJ500M best).

One thing to consider ... the Breedlove will have less resale value, because they aren't as well known or sought after. The Martin will cost you more up front because ... well ... it says C.F. Martin on the headstock.

6. Jahn

The 15 Series, by the way, is USA. Sounded better than the Mexi-X Martins on the wall by a pound.

7. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

Thanx guys. I went with a Martin D16GT. He played Taylor, Breedlove and Martin in the comparable price range. The D16 has a distinctively deeper and mellow sound. Very moving.

8. Jahn

Ooh. 16s even better than 15s, you get that spruce top instead of all hog, i personally like the extra spank. USA too, very nice choice!

9. donkers

donkers Member

i have a breedlove. it's a keeper. i have the ac25/sm. got it for about $900 with a the breedlove HSC. it was better than any martin or taylors i played that was in the same price range.

10. RockDC

RockDC Member

I love my Taylor... worth every penny... but you have to get a 300 series or better to really feel that way. Mine is a 710ce

11. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

Thanx. Plus it's got an ebony fretboard, gloss finish and it's made in the good old USA.

12. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Nice choice! It will sound even better once it opens up over the next 3- 4 years. FYI: The fret board is actually micarta, but that stuff lasts forever and it's real slick & easy to move around on.