What age group and musical intellect is your audience?

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
In the Detroit metro area, live music is harder to come by. Most of the kids, 20s and 30s, gravitate to DJ music. I am finding the average age of my area has late 40s to 50s crowds. They don't really have the most eclectic taste in music. In fact, I got some grief recently from a bar manager because a couple regulars left the bar after our first set because they didn't know the music. Part was my fault setting up the set list. I should have front loaded more of the dance stuff from the 2nd and 3rd set. But I digress....

My point is, Anything recent, and in cover band world we consider that 2000-Now, they won't typically know it. So for my area, we are feeling like we have to play a dumbed down set for people to enjoy what we do.

Now I know, "play to your audience", but I don't do this for a living. Most of the time it works out fine but this one particular place it's becoming a problem. I am ready to tell them we are out. I don't want to play the same crap everyone else is doing.

So what is the age and musical intellect of your area?

Here is the first set...

My Own Worst Enemy-Lit
Animal-Pearl Jam
Possium King-Toadies
Would-AIC
Temple-Kings of Leon
You cant do that-Beatles
Streets-U2
I don't Wanna Be-Gavin Degraw
Sypathy for devil_Stones
Remedy-Black Crowes
All the Things Ive done-The Killers
Kashmir-Zep

Turi

I don't want to play the same crap everyone else is doing.
This is great mate, definitely a good thing.
It sound like if you want to continue playing at that one particular venue, you need to just do what they want.
They're obviously not keen on anything else and must make all their $$$$ from the regulars VS random people coming in.
Doesn't sound like the greatest joint for live music.

FWIW I recognise all of the songs you listed. I'm 28.

My region has an ageing population - the average age is about 10 years higher than the rest of Aus.. I would guess the average age of a punter here is between 50-60.
Because of this, what I love doing, blues and rockabilly, makes up a fair amount of my song pool and song selection, they all know the songs even though I'm playing music that was popular a good 10-20 years before their time (they'd be more into '70s music I would imagine).
Classic rock bands go down great in my area. Dancy pop bands, not so much. There's only one band doing dance music here, and they always play the same 2 venues. They do what they do really well though, can't fault 'em.

Average age of my audience.. between 18-100.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Detroit metro area, live music is harder to come by. Most of the kids, 20s and 30s, gravitate to DJ music. I am finding the average age of my area has late 40s to 50s crowds. They don't really have the most eclectic taste in music. In fact, I got some grief recently from a bar manager because a couple regulars left the bar after our first set because they didn't know the music. Part was my fault setting up the set list. I should have front loaded more of the dance stuff from the 2nd and 3rd set. But I digress....

My point is, Anything recent, and in cover band world we consider that 2000-Now, they won't typically know it. So for my area, we are feeling like we have to play a dumbed down set for people to enjoy what we do.

Now I know, "play to your audience", but I don't do this for a living. Most of the time it works out fine but this one particular place it's becoming a problem. I am ready to tell them we are out. I don't want to play the same crap everyone else is doing.

So what is the age and musical intellect of your area?

Here is the first set...

My Own Worst Enemy-Lit
Animal-Pearl Jam
Possium King-Toadies
Would-AIC
Temple-Kings of Leon
You cant do that-Beatles
Streets-U2
I don't Wanna Be-Gavin Degraw
Sypathy for devil_Stones
Remedy-Black Crowes
All the Things Ive done-The Killers
Kashmir-Zep
all i can say is I'm 28 and I would have loved that setlist!

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Set 2 is a bit more mainstream...

One way out-A Bros
Ramble On-Zep
Shipping Boston-Dropkick
Ants marching-DM
Lonely Boy-Black Keys
Billie Jean-MJ
What I Like About You_Romantics
Folsum Prison-J.Cash
Laid-James
American Girl-T.Petty
What I got-Sublime
Blister in Sun/Kiss Off-V.Fems
Baba Oriely-Who?

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
This is great mate, definitely a good thing.
It sound like if you want to continue playing at that one particular venue, you need to just do what they want.
They're obviously not keen on anything else and must make all their $$$$ from the regulars VS random people coming in.
Doesn't sound like the greatest joint for live music.

FWIW I recognise all of the songs you listed. I'm 28.

My region has an ageing population - the average age is about 10 years higher than the rest of Aus.. I would guess the average age of a punter here is between 50-60.
Because of this, what I love doing, blues and rockabilly, makes up a fair amount of my song pool and song selection, they all know the songs even though I'm playing music that was popular a good 10-20 years before their time (they'd be more into '70s music I would imagine).
Classic rock bands go down great in my area. Dancy pop bands, not so much. There's only one band doing dance music here, and they always play the same 2 venues. They do what they do really well though, can't fault 'em.

Average age of my audience.. between 18-100.
yeah, we are having a band meeting about this tomorrow. I know my answer is to tell this bar manager to take her gig and shove it. I am not playing Brown Eyed Girl to please 10 local drunks. **** that. Last time we played there we brought in like 35 people that stayed all night.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
That is...a strange mix of tunes.

Imagine I'm a booking agent looking to fill a Friday night: describe your band to me in twenty words or less.

Suave Eddie

Well since the average age in our band is probably about 60 (I think there are only two members under) our audiences are pretty much geriatric also.

Turi

That is...a strange mix of tunes.

Imagine I'm a booking agent looking to fill a Friday night: describe your band to me in twenty words or less.
Refreshing versatile pop-rock act with a hint of grunge from Motown, USA.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Here is the rest...

Sweet Caroline-Neil Diamond
Sweet Home Al-If need be
Buy Me a boat-New Country
Gimmie Shelter-Stones
You May Be Right-B. Joel
Night moves-Seager
Radar Love-Golden Earing
Grapevine-Gay
Lets Get It On-Gay
Head First-The Babys
Panama-VFH
Need to Know-Petty
Jumping Jack Flash
Black-PJ
santa monica-Everlast
Got You-The Flys
Get What's Coming-Rival Sons
The Night Before-Beatl;es
Beautiful Loser-Seager
Ziggy Star Dump-David
Crazy Train-Ozzy
Twice as Hard-Black Crowes
New Girl Now-Honeymoon Suite
Sin city-ACDC
Hey Hey What can I do-Zep

Turi

I think you've got a mad setlist.
Cool choice with "Need to Know".. Never seen a band cover that beast before.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm in the LA area, playing largely local dives. Average age is probably somewhere around 28-30, with a pretty wide standard deviation. Most of them would probably prefer a dj to what we're playing...but I never cease to be amazed at the extent to which these bar-goers know our music, which is largely rock classics from the 70s and 80s (and we do a fair amount of 60s r&b in one of my bands). Boy I sure didn't know (let alone like or even tolerate) much music from the 30+ years earlier when I was going up. So I'd say in some respect, they're amazingly knowledgeable and surprisingly "open minded" in terms of what they'll listen to. Now, there are plenty that we'll scare out of the joint, playing our moss-covered r&r repertoire...but it's equally amazing to me that as many stay and get into as do.

That said..if you stray just a wee bit from those hits that continue getting a good deal of air play on classic rock stations, you're going to lose the audience, IME. So they're hardly musicologists, and they're not very tolerant of older material they're not familiar with. I've been trying to get my ancient compadres to pick up some tunes from the last 20 years...but no luck so far. :dunno

paranoid70

30s to 40s. It's a mixed bag. Some people really like what we are playing, some are rather indifferent. We aren't driving people away though, so I'm cool with it.

You are NEVER going to please every person, what one person likes another doesn't. There is NO magic set list that will work every time. Play what you enjoy with some conviction without going too obscure and I think you will be ok.

Stu Cats

Interesting and eclectic set. At 46, I must admit, I don't know the names of about a quarter of the bands, but I would guess that I have heard the songs.

A lot of my influence does come from Detroit, namely, the Brewster Projects. But that would be DJ based music.

At this stage in my life, my audience members are my students in college and university environments.

MoPho

Formerly tripp2k
Silver Supporting Member
I'm 51 and most of that setlist would send me packing. I like the songs but many have been over saturated. I'm that guy that keeps suggesting throwing in a bit of UFO in some of the other similar threads. Someone my age is bound to have crossed paths with a UFO tune at one point in their lives and it might just hook them if they heard something from their past that the average cover band doesn't play. Cherie, Doctor Doctor or Love to Love. Maybe mix in some Y&T followed by some Riot. Or pick some songs from those same artists but not ones that have made the rounds a thousand times. Mustang Sally...NO.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I have always told my band mates, if there is a song you really want to play, we will try it. It might be a total flop but it won't matter in the scope of things. A UFO song would fall in that category. No one is going to know those tunes. Y&T, really? The songs I am playing are actually on the radio. There is probably an April Wine song that is known by the old farts we play to. However that is venturing dangerously close to yacht rock territory.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I have always told my band mates, if there is a song you really want to play, we will try it. It might be a total flop but it won't matter in the scope of things. A UFO song would fall in that category. No one is going to know those tunes. Y&T, really? The songs I am playing are actually on the radio. There is probably an April Wine song that is known by the old farts we play to. However that is venturing dangerously close to yacht rock territory.
"Dangerously versatile pop-rock act with a hint of yacht rock from Motown, USA" sounds much more refreshing...

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
30's to 60's overall, but not uncommon to have folks in their 20's hang out for a good portion of the show. We're always struggling with our list - I tend to pick less known covers and am not fond of a lot of typical cover band fodder, nor am I stuck on a particular decade or two. If we pepper our list with more familiar stuff and make sure we announce who the less well-known tunes came from, we can usually get a pretty good response.

A few key things we try to keep front of mind;
- you gotta play material you like/love, because if you're not having fun, your audience isn't either.
- have enough material to flex to the situation - this includes the age of the material, tempo, etc.
- don't be afraid to give a recognized cover your own twist.

Trending Topics