What album is in the same league as Kind of Blue?

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member
To me KOB, was a great introduction to jazz. The music and Melodie’s are easy to grasp on too. One of my favorite recordings. So what other jazz recordings have that same appeal? One that sticks out to me is Grant Green’s Idle Moments. I like the production and overall vibe of KOB much better but I find the tunes on Idle Moments to be very accessible.

My second place:

Blooby

If you are talking quality, I won't go there; however, if you are just talking vibe, I think the Miles album Ballads is in the same ballpark (although I prefer Kind of Blue).

On the guitar front, the Ronnie Earl album Grateful Heart: Blues and Ballads has a wonderfully understated vibe (for the most part) with some tasty playing and tones.

I would also put in a vote for the Joe Pass Virtuoso series.

I'm hung over (like an idiot) so that's the best I can do right now.

Last edited:

59burst

Perhaps Kenny Burrell’s “Midnight Blue” or Herbie Hancock’s “Cantaloupe Island”. Landmark works that have stood the test of time and influenced many. And they sound like “jazz” to most people. :)

Kevbo599

Gold Supporting Member
Some of my favorites:

Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis
Midnight Blue - Kenny Burrell
Somethin’ Else - Cannonball Adderley
Concierto - Jim Hall
White Rabbit - George Benson
Ballads - John Coltrane
Village Vanguard - Bill Evans
Pure Desmond - Paul Desmond

Last edited:

bobmc

Gold Supporting Member
Sonnys Crib. Love Supreme may need to wait. I’m 61, and have listened to jazz since I was 14. I, in the minority, I am still waiting to “hear” Love Supreme. YMMV

GGinMP

61GGKac+FKL._SL1200_.jpg
71hpKYlz5ML._SL1200_.jpg
71AOkbmj4HL._SL1400_.jpg

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
More of a preference answer…

…but I prefer Bitches Brew and Coltrane (‘57) to Kind of Blue.

weevilcaster

Miles’ “Kind Of Blue” has no equal, pure lightning in a bottle. Miles came really close again on “In A Silent Way” too. The box set of “In A Silent Way” is really outstanding. Definitely worth picking up, it’s like an extension of the original album.

When I was working in record stores, usually I was the “guy that listened Jazz”. So, if a customer came in wanting to get into Jazz, but didn’t know where to start, “Kind Of Blue” & “A Love Supreme” were my go to recommendations. If they were looking for piano, I would go with “Crisscross” by Thelonious Monk. These days, I would probably recommend Bill Evans “Waltz For Debbie” too.

DCAddy

Try Mingus Ah Um or Black Saint And The Sinner Lady.
Village Vanguard sets from Coltrane, Bill Evans, or Sonny Rollins.
Miles' Tribute To Jack Johnson is great.
Armstrong's Hot 5 and 7 sessions.
Monk's Blue Note sides.
so many great records

Trending Topics

Top Bottom