• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What album or song made you start playing guitar?

slybird

It wasn't a song. Near the end of high school I found some guitars in the house and started playing them. If the guitars were not in that closet I might not have ever started, the idea to play probably wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Ransom

I started on bass, and that inspiration first struck when I was 12 and had a ride in the back of my brother's Cutlass Supreme that had a killer stereo in it. I was generally a country music fan at the time, but my bro popped in "Moving Pictures," and cranked "Tom Sawyer." The grit and rumble by Geddy Lee was like heaven to my ears.

Oddly enough, a few years after I started playing bass, the guitar parts in "The Camera Eye" from the same album got me into guitar.

Adjutant

Great thread! Ive always had a thing for music. I loved the Beatles as a little boy, but I would say Randy Rhodes "Tribute" put the hook in me. I wore that double album OUT!! I mean, it was ridiculous. Probably 3x a day for a whole summer

joebloggs13

I really got hooked on Pink Floyd's Time solo when I was a kid...played air guitar to it over and over....lol. I really started to want to play when I heard Clapton Unplugged in my late teens....that did it for me. Got my first steel string and never looked back.

struffy

Kiss-Alive!
Quite easy to latch on to that memory. I was 5 yrs old in 77’ and allowed to put on records by myself for the first time. That record jumped out at me first, and I was hooked the second I put it on. I wanted to be Ace then, and I still try to bring the same fire as I felt as a kid listening to them that first time. That record still jumps out at me.

NorCal_Val

Not really any one song or album; it was a bunch of albums that I was listening to when I was 14-15.
“Hemispheres”
“All The World’s A Stage”
“Friday Night In San Francisco”
“VH II”
“Bridge Of Sighs”
“Some Enchanted Evening”
“Frank Marino And Mahogany Rush Live”

GulfportBound

When I heard B.B. King for the first time, in the summer of 1969, that's when I decided to play a guitar seriously. He opened that set with . . .

. . . and from the first notes he played I was a goner. I couldn't wait to get back home from camp (the camp took us to the concert; B.B. King opened for the Who and Jefferson Airplane,
a week before Woodstock) and get hold of my cheap little electric and start getting serious.

Banditt

I have a Christmas pic of me in 1969 strumming my new present, a plastic toy guitar. I was 4. I didn't start actually playing and taking lessons until I was 11-12. But I think my older Brothers's Led Zeppelin 1, side one: "Good times Bad times". That opening Riff. "Smokin' in the boys room" Brownsville Station, "Smoke on the water", and Summer's spent listening to the Juke boxes playing the coolest music while at the Pool. I always made the connection between that sound, and the guitar. I was infatuated with it....

Still am!

oxtone

Jimi Hendrix's cover of "Like a Rolling Stone" at the Monterey Pop Festival 1967:
His tone, phrasing and fills are a thing of beauty that inspired me to play guitar!

Last edited:

ckfoxtrot

No real single album or even band. Around Jr High (maybe late elementary school) I had a friend getting into guitar and playing his sparked my interest in the instrument I guess.

At the time, and a bit before, I was starting to branch away from the music I grew up with (country) and explore stuff on my own. Being the early-mid 90s, I was listening to a lot of stuff like Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Green Day, Nirvana, and a bit of NIN and stuff like Sublime. Got really into Korn for a bit too (can’t really stand them now). I don’t know how/why I didn’t develop a deeper appreciation for Soundgarden back then. I had a copy of Badmotorfinger but didn’t really get into them and Cornell until later in life (also became more interested in Nirvana and NIN over time too).

Echo Are

Strange Brew: The Very Best Of Cream(compilation album released in 1983). I used to listen to the first three cuts on side 1 over and over again: "Badge", "Sunshine Of Your Love", "Crossroads".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom