What album were you disappointed with the most when you purchased it?

A few come to mind :

Steely Dan - Gaucho (went down like antiseptic mouthwash)

The Who - It's Hard (other than eminence front, just a bad album)

Judas Priest - Painkiller (loud but not very melodic)

Styx - Kilroy Was Here (what were they thinking)

If you really want to hear someone who lays out the Kilroy Was Here story you should watch this video, he really skewers it good:

Styx actually did eventually recover from that debacle, sort of.

Last edited:

MJR

i know VH's III gets slagged a lot, but i think it's a decent album. i do think that perhaps they should have worked the material a bit, but there are a couple of really good songs on there...i just don't think they gave Gary and the Band enough time to jel, but obviously they were going through a lot of stuff....so in a way it was sort of doomed from the start.
i will say that all of the live stuff i've seen w/ them on youtube, i thought they were on fire and had lots of energy, and i think Gary said he wishes they would have done a smaller club tour first to build momentum and work the material....and of course, Gary had no problem w/ the Roth material, so a lot of songs got played that hadn't been heard in a while.....

I bought the album upon release as a lifetime fan of VH and a pretty decent fan of Extreme. I liked it well enough, but any kind of comparison to their earlier stuff just seemed unfair. It was clearly Something Else after that change.

That said, the show I saw with Cherone was pretty good. The dude's got pipes.

Strat58

Hi Last Concert In Japan from Deep Purple man that was disapointment, realy hated that LP. I was a big blackmore fan, Tommy was in a bad state then, great guitarplayer but not on that LP
Peace Strat58

EFK

Into the Pandemonium. To be fair, album lived up to its title, 100%. But simply too much weird and crazy **** going on. I appreciate the 'artistic' approach and not wanting to go for the typecast crap, but sometimes you just need to back off the freaking LSD.

Joe Bleaux

If you think To The Boneis bad, stay far away from The Future Bites. I’m a geek fanboy of SW’s and I couldn’t finish it. I don’t love To The Bone, but TFB makes it seem like Hand.Cannot.Erase.

Yeah, I really didn't even make it all the way through the teaser stuff he posted on his website a while ago - it was obvious that he was doubling down on the direction that he embarked on with To the Bone. It's not even that I don't like pop, and I certainly respect SW's right to put out what he wants and indulge in whatever artistic evolution that floats his boat - but that side of his vision doesn't appeal to me, at all.

djp141

Deep Purple - "Abandon".

Major step down from "Purpendicular". (one of my all time favorite albums)

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
You should check out Youtube music reviewer "Todd in the Shadows" discussion of that record, he did a whole video about it and how that album tanked and kind of ruined the band despite having a huge single on it. It's pretty amazing:

Thanks for that -- an enjoyable watch.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
David Bowie’s Low. I was a Bowie fan for years and bought Low when it came out and didn’t dig it at all. I listened to it over and over and it kind of sunk in, but nothing like the older stuff. About that time was when I stopped listening to Bowie except for a few old tracks…

until Napster came out. I listened to Low again and it hit me hard, and then I had 20 years worth of music since Low that I had “heard” or played in a band (I played all his pop stuff in bands) but never really paid attention to. And I’ve been hooked AGAIN ever since. And yes, Low is up there with my favorite Bowie albums now.

Low has been my favorite Bowie album for about 20 years. It was not the first Bowie album I picked up. Heroes, of course, is closely related.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
The last couple of Pearl Jam albums haven’t been their best work.

I think their latest three are stronger than the No Code/Yield/Binaural stretch. I'd say their best work was Ten/Vs/Vitalogy. So yeah, not their best but not their worst IMO.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
That’s the first album that came to mind, and I’m a huge Pumpkins fan. I spent all summer thinking it was the worst ever, but it grew on me by the end of the year. It eventually became my favorite SP release, and easily one of my top 5 albums.

I thought it was a let down too but on revisiting it, I thought there was some cool stuff in the production and engineering. Kinda weird without Jimmy there. But then their albums got worse after that. :confused

TerrorStorm

A lot of hate for the Black Album, but for me it has to be St. Anger... That album was just awful in almost every aspect.

At least with the Black Album there are redeeming qualities, it sounds huge, incredibly strong hooks, etc (even if it was a complete departure from AJFA.)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom