What am I a wah idiot? (teese RMC3+Fuchs)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by solo-act, Mar 3, 2006.

1. solo-act

solo-act Member

suhr>rmc3>tim>optical comp>buffer>Fuchs

If your rig isn't Fuchs+RMC3, then your experience/feedback may not apply to the problem I've been having.

Pardon my seeming rant here:
    Is the RMC3 (tuned to a vintage feel) supposed to have smooth growl, great quack, nice highs for percussive stuff, but then rip your head off at 500-600hz, 900hz, and 1.25-1.75hz?
    I don't get it.........

I cannot find a vintage sweep setting & feel on this wah that doesn't have massive earsplitting peaks at those frequencies. The best settings for the songs I do are in the picture wah range.

This wah set to vintage sweep/feel is NOT smooth with the Fuchs.... between studio practice and a couple hundred live gigs, I've relented to tweaking this thing every few months for 3 hours at a time for TWO YEARS.
    I've worked all variations of settings in print and and website in regards to the dip switches, bass, mid, fine tune, variable power to the wah, playing different pickups, and it all boils down to this: dip switch 8 does not have enough highs and dip switches 5 to 7 have excessive peaks in the range of the frequencies listed above.

THis is not nebulous talk about if it "feels" right, or sounds "vintage enough" or is too "aggressive". I'm talking about a wah that is having really bad freq spikes with the fuchs that are NOT musical and not smooth. Usually I do fine with gear and getting sounds that have the right feel and tonal spectrum--from backing tracks to PA, to FX, to acoustic, to electric etc etc. But this wah cannot be dialed to be vintage without these glaring non-musical frequency spikes.

Or maybe that's the way wahs are supposed to sound and I'm a wah idiot. Please enlighten me.

--E

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I would email Geoffrey. His customer service is 2nd to none and if he can't help you...

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

yeah man, with a builder like geoff, i wouldnt have even asked here, hes as nice as they get. give him a call. you may even have a tough time getting off the phone with him...

4. solo-act

solo-act Member

Thanks, already emailed him before posting. In addition to Geoffrey's help, I'm hoping for feedback from Fuchs+RMC3 owners....or RMC3 owners that have had my problems with RMC3, but have figured out how to dial out those excess freqs.
    Thanks in advance for any insights.
    --E

5. drolling

drolling Member

Hey solo, I don't have a Fuchs, and I know you're looking for very specific input here, but I've gone thru' a lot of amps & wahs in my day.. Your problem's one that I've run into to time and again.

And I've heard other player's refer to it as well, so we're not alone here.. Some call it a "break" or a "crack". I don't really know what to call it myself - but I know what it sounds like; the tone just JUMPS out at some very specific point in the sweep.. really ruins it, hunh?

From your very articulate description, it sounds like all you can do is move that narrow band around without ever being able to get rid of it.

It's been my experience that it's got a lot to do with the amount of amp distortion, as I've had many pedals that did not exhibit a trace of this problem with a clean tone, but as soon as I applied some overdrive - BAM! - there it was.

Couple of ideas; a Foxrox booster kit might help and/or maybe a paramaretric eq to suppress just that frequency on the amp. I've tried both w/varying degrees of success.

As an awkward work-around, I'm presently using two wahs, a Budda (excellent wah for the money) and a true-bypassed V 847 (my favorite production wah for classic sounds) w/the Foxrox boost.

Good luck resolving this, and please do post if you find a solution, as I'm not sure I've optimized the sounds I'm getting from my wahs/amps..

6. solo-act

solo-act Member

AHA!!! so I'm not alone!! Thats comforting. And YES, the spiking freqs really ruin the musicality + crowd enjoyment. Unlike your amp, it is in both clean and dirty (since they share EQ on Fuchs.)

Currently I'm using the parametric in the Gforce and pulling the three freqs in narrow bands, but that is not very workable... the overtones of those freqs also leap out in a non musical way, plus those freq are notched when the spike isn't happening....not good. Only a freq. senstive mastering compressor would work as a fix... Using the parametric IMHO is a lame band-aid solution to a problem that I don't believe should be there in the first place.
    If this is a problem inherent in wahs, I'm NOT IMPRESSED. Whether its in this wah or another on the market, I want a solution for vintage wah without insane frequency spikes.

Now that I'm done whining, A pre-emptive thanks to others with insights/solutions on this.

--E

7. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

I have a bandmate who uses a Fulltone Clyde through his Fuchs ODS on the clean channel and it sounds great, but his amp EQ could be totally different from yours. Still it might be worth trying out the Cylde, Budda and maybe a few other Teese wahs (depending on what Geoffrey thinks) I hopes of finding one that sounds good...

8. solo-act

solo-act Member

Still researching this. Haven't heard back from Geoffrey yet. Hopefully there's more wah users with experience that will chime in.

--E

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

I happen to love the spikes in my RMC3! Perhaps I'm just not as sensitive to it being unmusical, perhaps my set up compensates somehow, using a non top boost AC30 with no eq, but to me the vocal qualities of the RMC3 are second to none.

I use a variation on the RMC1 sound and it give me a very warm, pronounced quack with my main rig. I can understand your point of view though, the wah setting I use live does sound awful through my small Fender practice amp, yet so beautiful with my main amp.

The smoothest, cleanest sweeping wah I've played was a Keeley modified Vox V847, the "Mello" Wah I think he calls it. This can be tweaked to sound like the Anti-Teese, of course I like the Teese sound, so the Keeley didn't work for me. But it's the one I'd definitely recommend to someone not satisfied with the RMC sound.

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

I like my RMC III but I don't use a Fuchs. I assume you've tried turning down the "Q" setting? I do understand the problem though, as at times I experience the same thing -- I agree that it is related to the gain on your amp. I had an email conversation once with Teese about this and he suggested trying a Fulltone pot, which he said has a smoother sweep than the ones he uses.

11. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

If you're not happy with the RMC3, seriously try the Pro Analog Supa Quack, it ended my wah search.

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

This makes sense, should have mentioned that the Keeley mod uses a Fulltone pot.
    :jo