• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What am I doing wrong? Weird sound...

Well, I may be doing several things wrong, but just thought I'd ask people more knowledgeable than myself for some help here.

I have done some home recording here and there over the past few years. I've never gotten too advanced with it, but I'm trying to do so now. I'm using an Apogee Duet as my interface, and for now, just using Garageband for software. I have a pretty extensive pedalboard, which I can describe if it's helpful. I'm playing a Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar, the rare Jag with lots of low-end. I'm splitting my signal using an A/DA GCS-3 which sends a 1/4" cable to my Bassman LTD and an xlr cable into the Duet.

Thing is, the sound I'm getting in the Duet so far is vastly inferior to what I used to get using a Presonus Inspire (cheapo $120 unit I had back in 2006 or so) or the Creative E-Mu 0202 that I used more recently. How can this be? In particular, the sounds I'm getting with the Apogee, even with the EQ in Garageband adjusted to really tame the treble, is so trebly that it's difficult to listen to at any volume. It doesn't sound distorted or like there's interference or any malfunction, there's just barely any low-end and so much treble. Even when I listen to the tracks on my iPod with the Treble Reducer EQ setting, it's borderline painfully high-pitched.

So, I ask the good people here, what am I doing wrong here? I'm quite sure the Apogee isn't defective, as the sound is quite pristine, I just can't get it into a normal sounding range. I really like low-end, and want to capture more of it. I also have a Sennheiser e906 mic to use on the Bassman, but I wanted to get the direct sound down first before trying to combine and mix the direct with the mic'd sounds. Any help or advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sendrith

This sounds like another thread to suggest cabinet simulation/speaker impulse responses.

You are splitting the signal coming into your amp? (sometimes passive splitting causes loss of signal)

Are you sending the amp signal or the dry signal to your interface? (make sure you're sending the correct signal to your interface)

Are you using a "line out" or "recording out" feature on your amp? (many/most of these do not have speaker emulation, get a speaker emulation. If Garageband has the SpaceDesigner plugin, it has some as presets, might be under "warped tones". If Garageband does NOT have SpaceDesigner, get LePou's LeCab2 (cabinet/impulse response loader and some speaker cabinet IR's, I suggest RedWirez BigBox (Marshall cab) for something good + free)

Cheers

Try this for a comparison: Plug guitar direct into interface. Open Garageband. Use guitar on audio track. On audio track, open Amp Designer. In amp designer, disable whatever cabinet you're using. Does it sound similar? If yes, it might be a speaker/cabinet simulation problem.

:D

Drunk

EDIT:
I have no idea how that DI unit works or what it does to the sound. Mess with that first.

Last edited:

Nelson89

Which Duet are we talking, the original (firewire) or the 2nd black one (USB)?

Have you got everything plugged in and set right? What i mean by this, is if you're using the XLR output, on the Duet you need to plug into the XLR input and set the input to "line" before you do anything else, this ensures the impedance is correct for the signal you're sending it.

Other than that, i'd start with full range DI option before playing with the cab sims.

Endr_rpm

Why do you want the direct sound? If the amp/pedals sound good, just record that. Or do a DI only track, then reamp it.

Hello all, thanks for the responses and suggestions, I appreciate it. I will try to do some responding myself.

The A/DA GCS-3 isn't a passive device, so there shouldn't be signal loss. There isn't when I just run it into the PA anyway. I've only been using it in DI mode, as the Cab Sims add a fair amount of hiss, from my experience so far. Maybe the GCS-3 has some issues, I'll see what happens when I record some other instruments through it.

This is the only DI I'm using, the Bassman doesn't have any kind of line out.

The Duet I'm using is the latest, USB-powered which can work with the iPad as well as a regular Mac. As far as I know I'm setting it up right, did all of the selecting in Maestro to choose the proper levels and all that, sound is coming through and it isn't buzzy or tinny or scratchy in ways it isn't supposed to be, it's just very trebly.

As far as just using a mic, I would like to get a 57 as well at some point, but I did a bunch of research and came up with the Sennheiser e906 as the one that sounded best for my needs. My tiny rehearsal space in Brooklyn seems to have a lot of dead spots, and I only get to go in there for a few hours once per week so I'm still playing with how best to place everything for mic'd recordings. But I do definitely hope to have that sounding good in the near future!

Ideally what I want to be doing is recording both a DI track and a mic'd track simultaneously. The DI would (again, ideally) give a nice clean version of a take, while I get a the Bassman's roar and a bit more of a live sound on the same take. I have never tried reamping, though I'm interested.

As far as a sound sample, that's a good idea, I will try to get one embedded soon.

Thanks again for all of the help & suggestions, y'all are fine folks.

Oh I should add, I haven't installed any extra plugins in my Garageband yet, though I've downloaded a bunch. I will look into the ones that you mentioned, Sendrith. Thanks! I'm used to using Cubase, so even though Garageband is 'basic', I'm still learning about its ins and outs as well.

Sendrith

SpaceDesigner is a convolution reverb plugin that comes with Logic, just opened garageBand and it doesn't have it (but I don't really know how to use GarageBand so maybe I've missed it).

I personally like the dry DI + mic'd amp simultaneous recordings, you can add a lot of dimensions to a track when you have the same performance without anything done to it.

Why go to Garageband when you know Cubase?

SpaceDesigner is a convolution reverb plugin that comes with Logic, just opened garageBand and it doesn't have it (but I don't really know how to use GarageBand so maybe I've missed it).

I personally like the dry DI + mic'd amp simultaneous recordings, you can add a lot of dimensions to a track when you have the same performance without anything done to it.

Why go to Garageband when you know Cubase?
A good question! Generally, financial reasons, for now. I no longer have access to the program, and don't want to pony up for it. Maybe some day.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom