What am I missing?

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
My wife would say, "pretty much everything." :)

In this case though I'm talking about pedals. I've got several nice pedals but they're all in really two categories - drive (Timmy, Barber GC, Ts808 etc) and delay DD7. I do have a Moer Mod Factory 2 but I hate it because it is a mini pedal and the 250 functions on the dial are both impossible to read and don’t sound that great.

I play in a cover band doing all kinds of stuff and really want to branch out in my effects. What, other than overdrive and delay, should I add next?

EDIT: More details that I should have added originally:

Amp: Mesa Fillmore 50 w/ reverb
Drive: Timmy, Barber GC, Greer Little Samson, TS808 (hate the switch!), TC Spark
Delay: DD7
Wah: Dunlop something

One of the reasons I'm asking this question is that I'm finally satisfied with my amp and drive pedal setup. The Fillmore is great and those drive pedals and amp gain cover most drive situations. I also finally have an effects loop.

I forgot to mention the Wah originally and that's because I don't use it much. We've got two or three songs that I use it for but it hasn't become common for me.

Looking for something different and versatile. For the Dead stuff, was considering an envelope filter. For Black Key, fuzz definitely makes sense. Anything (else) I'm missing?

Last edited:

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
My wife would say, "pretty much everything." :)

In this case though I'm talking about pedals. I've got several nice pedals but they're all in really two categories - drive (Timmy, Barber GC, Ts808 etc) and delay DD7. I do have a Moer Mod Factory 2 but I hate it because it is a mini pedal and the 250 functions on the dial are both impossible to read and don’t sound that great.

I play in a cover band doing all kinds of stuff and really want to branch out in my effects. What, other than overdrive and delay, should I add next?
Check out the Wampler Terraform. It has a ton of effects that can be saved as presets.

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
Good questions. Classic rock, more modern stuff like Black Keys, Grateful Dead, some alt-country.

Brad2

Also a distortion would be a good complement. For some songs of Bowie, Pink Floyd and the police to name a few bands I like to cover, a distortion or in any case something heavier and fiery than overdrive is indispensible.

To give some examples:
Bowie : the solo from Live on Mars
Pink Floyd: The solo's from Comfortably numb, Money, Time and Have a cigar.
Police: The solo from Driven to tears.

Last edited:

ChrisP

Obviously you don't need anything if you have to ask what you're missing. this is TGP though so you just probably buy something.
poorly written sentence.

Before you start going crazy buying pedals, I would take a look at what songs your band plays and what could you possibly use to make things sound better (more faithful to the songs). There’s a lot of suggestions so far and, honestly, I’ve never used 90% of them. Never used a flanger or phaser in my life. No band I was in ever needed those effects. That’s why I say figure out what you do (and don’t) need. Unless you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket (which I also understand, lol).

jvin248

Get these:

Azor 303 Fuzz (big muff pi clone) $20 on amazon, it will help with Black Keys stuff
Black Rat (moskey/muslady) for $25 on amazon
Boss DS-1 distortion, used around $30

Be sure to stack pedals:
one of your overdrives into the Fuzz
DS-1 into your TS
one of your overdrives into the Black Rat
Then play with the knobs.

A Joyo American Sound is a good pedal, you can use it to go direct for recording or to the PA at a gig.

The fuzz you can use your guitar volume knob to go from full fuzz to 'glassy strat' tone. Quite versatile because of that ability.
The RAT pedal is famous for operating somewhat like a Fuzz itself but is a distortion pedal
DS-1 has been used on more famous songs than any other pedal, and sold the most units of any other pedal.

A good demonstration of stacking

Trending Topics