What amount of modding is too much?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by metrokosmiko, Jun 25, 2019.

1. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

... and even then - if the resulting instrument far surpasses the one you started with, it’s all good!

2. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yeah, our opinion on this is very much irrelevant. The only thing you "damage" with modding assuming it's done properly is resale value, and if you're doing the type of stuff that Gilmour did to his you're not planning on selling that guitar anyway (though I guess in light of the recent auction, the time may come 40+ years later :)).

The guitars I buy usually don't need any mods, I will sometimes swap pickups but usually they're pretty ready to go (I just don't feel there's much I have to do with a Suhr, a Kiesel, a custom Warmoth with really great specs, etc.) That said, if something didn't suit me I wouldn't hesitate to make changes, and I've definitely swapped hardware on less expensive guitars a few times too with great results.

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

I design and build guitars from the ground up. That's still not too much modding. I design and machine custom hardware. Not too much modding. To me, as long as the guitar isn't precious, there is no such thing as too much modding. I love the experimentation and discovery. Then again, I'm a scientist, so I love seeing what happens.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Ron is correct here in his reference to the guitar is just a tool or "paint brush". if you use this reference, most painters have many , many paint brushes (I have a fair amount).
    Sure you can do everything w/ one paintbrush, but generally it takes a number to do things on a painting...and honestly a guitar is no different. but there are many components to a guitar vs. a paint brush, but the idea is similar. I was not aware that Gilmour's Black strat was so modified. I'll have to read about it more. To me, the neck has to feel right, if it doesn't , then everything is off....and you can go from there....

5. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Silver Supporting Member

“Too much” falls along a scale that is something like:
    • Not enough
    • Enough
    • Too much
    With guitars, I don’t think that scale makes sense. It’s more like:
    • Possible
    • Necessary
    • Unnecessary
    Any mod is possible. Many mods are necessary, if you feel the guitar is defective in some way. Tuners won’t stay in tune, for example.

Many more mods are unnecessary, especially (as in my case) when the mod is supposed to cover some defect in my own playing ability. Trying yet another set of single coils, for example. A mod is unnecessary when it’s meant to bridge a gap between what I can do with the guitar and what I want to do with the guitar.

No mod is going to make me sound like or play like Joe Bonamassa.

So that makes me think “too much” should be defined inside myself, and is answered by the question, am I good enough to take advantage of this mod?

6. apeekaboo

apeekaboo Member

I'll toast to that! :beer

stickyFingerz likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I've got an instrument here where the only thing left original is the body & the pickup.
    Everything else has been swapped:
    machine-heads
    bridge
    pots
    output jack
    knobs
    neck

I got it for $100 USD so just went nuts on it as a project. I'm happy with the results & I'm still under $200.

ChampReverb likes this.
  8. Jecht

Jecht Member

I'm about to finish my first partscaster and to be honest, I've been thrilled with the results. Unless I find a specific model that I want (which there are of course. lol), I think I'm going to assemble most of my guitars from here on.

9. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Hey, what's THE BEST.......x?

[​IMG]

10. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I’ve had some inexpensive (~$300) used guitars (Strat, Tele, PRS SE) where I’ve done a fair amount of swapping and upgrading components over time and it has been a fun and educational experience.

My main gigging guitar these days is an ‘80’s Fernandes Tele where I think the only original parts left are the body, the knurled knobs, the jack cup and a few pickguard screws.

-bEn r.

11. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

I have the original axe that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. The handle and blade have both been upgraded.

mschafft likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Member

You just need more guitars! :)

Seriously, you own and mod (light or heavy) enough guitars and you eventually narrow down to the very few specific mods you 'need'. You've already tried all the experiments.

My list:
    -Tele SS gets a 4-way switch
    -Strat SSS gets an Armstrong Blender mod (I swap out any HSS or HSH buys for SSS then mod).
    -If guitar tone problems (too dark too bright) I swap pots and caps to fix for $10 or less in mod costs. I have moved a couple of them from flippers to keepers with a five cent capacitor, and I was splurging on the capacitor. I stopped swapping pickups a long time ago.
    -If a low cost (starter-type) guitar I will swap pots, caps, switch, and jack for the same as on the $5,000+ guitars get as that's all of $25 or so...
    -Fret level if the neck needs it (worn frets or poor build)

13. mschafft

mschafft Member

It's too much when you sell every guitar you've just finished modding to finance a new "modding platform" for a new project and you hardly play the things anymore.

14. DonP

DonP Member

From this:
    [​IMG]
    To this:
    [​IMG]

Which was my first guitar, still have it plays and sounds great.

Jecht likes this.
  15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

This is probably “too much”:

[​IMG]

16. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

Modding has gone too far when the changes you make stop moving the guitar toward the best version if itself for you, and start moving it away from that instead.

BigDoug1053 likes this.
  17. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I've a Hamer Chaparral whose only original parts are the wood, frets, and those @#$% boomerang inlays. EVERYTHING else has changed. Switches, jacks, pickups, tuners, bridge, nut, straplocks, knobs, pots, paint... everything. Now she sings just the way I wanted her to. But I BOUGHT it because of the neck - never felt another like it. Incredible. Plus it was pretty light-weight.

18. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I'm a serial modder. I just enjoy that aspect of it, customising it and getting it to my personal tastes. It's why I like cheaper guitars, part of the fun is the upgrades. Mostly just pickups now though - I try to buy guitars that have good hardware now otherwise things get expensive.

19. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I avoid elaborate wiring mods. Those can be fun for bedroom playing, but I never could get all the settings right when playing with others. And the differences got swamped anyway. I have a Strat with a Fralin blender pot and a Tele with a four-way. Beyond that, I have to like the stock harness as is.

Neck swaps are too much work, too much money for me. If I can't get what I want off the rack, I'll build a partocaster.

20. Mr.Darwin

Mr.Darwin Member

When you need keys to start it.