1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What amp am I hearing? Guide me here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WoodyTone com, May 19, 2011.

1. WoodyTone com

WoodyTone com Member

I'm a classic rock guy who can't get enough upper mids. Mids are where it's at, man! Anyhow, I'm hearing in my head an amp:

> that at base is an EL34 Marshall
    > has the "clank" of a 100-watter minus all that volume (if possible -- MV or scaling)
    > has upper mids that can be dialed in -- meaning more on tap than most guys want or need
    > has a Hiwatt hifi-ish "glisten" over the top

I have a Top Hat Emplexador which is really close. Is a solution as simple as changing a mid pot or some components to get more mids, or is it transformer-related or...?

Does a (gulp) Wizard do the above? Also intrigued by the Mojave Scorpion 100w in a 50w package thing and the Upper Mids control. But open to any and all suggestions.

Any help appreciated!

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

The Diamond Amps Spitfire II might meet your needs...

3. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

sounds like a straight up 50 watt Hiwatt to me.

4. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

What will do the job is a marshall based amp (or Hiwatt if that's what you prefer) cranked loud and with volume brought down by a high quality (read: expensive) attenuator like the Aracom, Rockcrusher, Alex, or Faustine.

2nd is powerscaling like the Reinhardt, Reeves, or Soultone.

No matter what, high volume with an attenuator is the key. This is based on everyday experience.

5. antbosca

antbosca Member

Well, that sounds like Channel 1 on a Rivera R30 or R50. Honkin', squawky mids all day. The R30 doesn't hold a candle to the Top Hat overall though so maybe you do need to look at changing components in your tone stack. Might think in terms of pickups instead of amp too.

6. phalanges

phalanges Member

Hate to state the obvious but, V30's?

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Is this anywhere close to what you want?:

Or like this:

8. WoodyTone com

WoodyTone com Member

Thanks, guys.

> Not a fan of the V30s as much as the right Greenbacks, which I have. To me V30s have less mids....

> Rip, are you saying that the upper mids from a cranked amp will come through with scaling? I have a good attenuator (Weber), does not do it for me.

> Solitaire, thanks. can't tell w/ the Hiwatt, not enough Vol and maybe too much gain, re: Vox, can't tell from that clip.

Other than that, is there something that's a combo of a Marshall and Hiwatt?

Keep the suggestions coming!

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

But then I guess you at least have some imagination, don't you? ;) Only you will be able to nail your tone. :)

The Hiwatt and the Orange amps are based on a Vox circuit, hence less mids and not as bright. That's why I posted the Hiwatt and the Vox w. EL34s.

Could try a Marshall Plexi with Gold Lion KT77s into cast frame Fanes. I think you'll find a Vox-y/ Hiwatt-y shimmer and headroom combined with plenty of mids right there. Marshalls and Fanes is a combo to die for. Also could consider replacing the OT of the Marshall with a Hiwatt one for even more headroom. Or go with EL84 adapters in the Marshall. Less power but more mids and headroom.

10. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Maybe you'll be able to get there with a pedal:

11. WoodyTone com

WoodyTone com Member

Interesting: what Fanes/Fane clones, and do they sound more upper-middy than good Greenbacks?

Re: pedals, that sounds good but I'm not a pedaler....

12. WoodyTone com

WoodyTone com Member

bumpage, still looking for ideas...

13. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Definitely cast frames, such as the Medusa 150C or those 75W HIwatt speakers. The response does not peak so far up in the mids, however because of the level of detail the sizzle from OD is kind of pushed right into your face. Because of that the speaker appears brighter and middier than it is, if that makes sense. Take a listen to the intro of this tune and you'll get the idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uqLM1uj_k Kind of a bright churchbell thing. More and harder distortion = more mids.

Though Eminence has indeed taken a crack at cloning Fanes I think these do not have quite the 'c'mon, give me some more' thing the real deal has. But these are far better than Weber's takes on the concept, I think, of which I used to be the owner of a Thames and an Axis.

14. Griz

Griz Member

+1 for Reeves.